Sleeper Limited Express Sakura EF66

bill937ca

An old video showing the engineer routine on Sleeper Limited Express Sakura EF66.  Video by series1600

• Like 4

Fantastic!

Must have been a couple years after privatization -  there's not even a 209 Series in sight! Even if it's JR East, it retains 100% the old flavour of JNR!

I really loved some of the details and shots such as the "Pointing and Calling" reminder sticker at 4:55,  the skyscrapers of Shimbashi at night (6:03) and Hammamatsucho station at 3:44, with Keihin-Tohoku Line 103s, Odoriko 185s and the Tokyo Monorail in the old white and red livery.

• Like 1
ranger10178

I'm trying to work out what the word is every time they see a proceed signal! It sounds like Shiko, but that translates as Look Everywhere. I'm afraid my Japanese is very poor - I've just about got the hang of the Hirigana alphabet - so it's maybe on par with a two year old in Japan!

4 hours ago, ranger10178 said:

I'm trying to work out what the word is every time they see a proceed signal! It sounds like Shiko, but that translates as Look Everywhere. I'm afraid my Japanese is very poor - I've just about got the hang of the Hirigana alphabet - so it's maybe on par with a two year old in Japan!

shinkō (進行) - clear (way ahead)

they also say "shuppatsu shinkō" (starting signal clear) or "[station name] tsuka!" (passing trough [station name]).

• Like 3
4 hours ago, ranger10178 said:

I'm afraid my Japanese is very poor - I've just about got the hang of the Hirigana alphabet - so it's maybe on par with a two year old in Japan!

A reasonably astute 4 year old would have a chance of being able to read Hiragana.

6 minutes ago, Socimi said:

they also say "shuppatsu shinkō" (starting signal clear)

On the other hand pretty much any two year old boy will know what "shuppatsu shinkō" means.

I speak from experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
ranger10178
2 minutes ago, Socimi said:

shinkō (進行) - clear (way ahead)

they also say "shuppatsu shinkō" (starting signal clear) or "[station name] tsuka!" (passing trough [station name]).

Thank you very much! I had thought it'd mean something like that, but was curious!

I was only missing one letter then! The 'n' really can't be heard when they say it!

I suppose this is all part of the point and call procedure they have!

I use the point and call procedure at work to some extent - with despatching trains - I point at the signal, check all doors are clear of passengers, give the first 'tip' to the guard, then point at signal and all coaches to check all doors are closed, then when satisfied, give the second tip to the guard. As the train passes me, I point at each set of doors to ensure they are free of anything trapped, and finally i point at the fly doors and taillights. The safety standards manager (Who conducts our annual and six monthly rules tests) questioned it, but upon my  explanation, agreed it's a good system. 

• Like 2
ranger10178
1 minute ago, railsquid said:

A reasonably astute 4 year old would have a chance of being able to read Hiragana.

On the other hand pretty much any two year old boy will know what "shuppatsu shinkō" means.

I speak from experience.

Oh well, I better raise my 'Japanese age' hahaha!

I suppose 2 years olds are like they are in the UK - watching Thomas the Tank Engine and similar shows, whereby they'll get to know this kind of stuff?

ranger10178
11 hours ago, bill937ca said:

An old video showing the engineer routine on Sleeper Limited Express Sakura EF66.  Video by series1600

Also I should say, what a fantastic video! I really enjoyed watching it! It's really interesting to see the signing on and checking of the locomotive! 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Socimi said:

Must have been a couple years after privatization -  there's not even a 209 Series in sight! Even if it's JR East, it retains 100% the old flavour of JNR!

At 4:31 the locomotive is entering Tokyo Station, and on the right where there's now a Shinkansen platform we see a bunch of scaffolding, so I reckon it must be 1996 or 1997, when the additional JR East Shinkansen platform was being added.

• Like 2