Jump to content

Container terminal


Marcin

Recommended Posts

Claude_Dreyfus

Whilst it looks a work in progress still, I like the openness. Are you planning to keep the scenery quite bare? I think that may suite the layout well. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
11 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

Whilst it looks a work in progress still, I like the openness. Are you planning to keep the scenery quite bare? I think that may suite the layout well. 

Only grass, some trees and light, that all, what I want to have.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Peter Osborne

Hi that’s nice, what do you use for the roads please, they look pretty good 

Link to post
6 hours ago, Peter Osborne said:

Hi that’s nice, what do you use for the roads please, they look pretty good 

This is painted cardboard with masking tape.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
gavino200

It looks great, Marcin. What color are you using for the grey? And how are you making those white lines? You do inspiring work btw.

  • Like 1
Link to post
10 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

It looks great, Marcin. What color are you using for the grey? And how are you making those white lines? You do inspiring work btw.

Thanks. Grey color I've got to mix cheap paints from building market

 

IMG_20210221_200539.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to post

?? Chinese Jupiter’s?  Kind of yard light used? Those look like the ones from China on ebay I was looking at getting for some yard use like this. I was concerned the lights looked like they could not be tilted down easily and were sort of pointing horizontally, but yours look like they are angled down some.

 

do you have plugs on the side of the module to pop the Kato switch controller onto? If so very neat trick and could you go over how you embedded a plug and what plug you used? 

 

nice job on these! You are getting quite a setup of modules. How many do you have now?

 

thanks

 

jeff

 

On 2/14/2021 at 6:28 AM, Marcin said:

Chinese Jupiter's

IMG_20210214_010144.jpg

IMG_20210214_010157.jpg

 

Link to post

Gavin a trick for street paint is to get some color interior wall paint chits and find what you like and get one of those little sample jars of interior flat latex at the paint store/big box. Small jar goes a long way and then it’s more consistent over time and pretty reproducible. I suck at mixing colors to match something and chest this way a lot for anything bigger I may need to match later. Or if just darkening I get scientific on it and weight it as I add black or white to get the rough proportion added.

 

jeff

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post

Marcin your road lines are really nice. Did you cut masks for those curved areas?

 

I love nail tape! Scale it’s around 4-6” (0.6-1mm) and it’s super easy to use. Even if you are going to paint it’s an easy way to try out line ideas. You can get it in yellow, orange, and red as well, but harder to find these days on ebay, use to be gobs of it.

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Holographic-3D-Strips-Tape-Gold-Silver-Striping-Line-Sticker-Nail-Decoration-1mm/193812816956?var=494039804456&hash=item2d2024e43c:g:IR0AAOSwAa1f3gYX

 

you can also find 1/32” pin tapes as well. There’s a great place for this stuff and cheaper, I’ll have to dig it out of the computer. I’ll look and see if I have extras of these I kind of remember last time when I bought it it was a multi roll deal maybe from the guy that slices fine stuff.

 

https://www.amazon.com/Tape-Whiteboard-Gridding-Artist-eraser/dp/B000CCNTTU

 

Gavin I have a few extra white nail tapes, I’ll pop one into an envelope for you to play with.

 

you can make dashed lines by just chopping out the in between sections.

 

jeff

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
39 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

?? Chinese Jupiter’s?  Kind of yard light used? Those look like the ones from China on ebay I was looking at getting for some yard use like this. I was concerned the lights looked like they could not be tilted down easily and were sort of pointing horizontally, but yours look like they are angled down some.

 

do you have plugs on the side of the module to pop the Kato switch controller onto? If so very neat trick and could you go over how you embedded a plug and what plug you used? 

 

nice job on these! You are getting quite a setup of modules. How many do you have now?

 

thanks

 

jeff

 

 

Yes, I have used Chinese lamps. Bought very cheap on aliexpress. Kato switch I glued I glued the with cyanoacrylate glue. I have 2 almost complete modules "container terminal", and one city "nozomi station". The other modules I will not used, because they are in bad condition

Link to post
Peter Osborne
2 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Thanks guys. Do y'all have any advice on the white lines?

I’ve seen a video if you use white plastic card sheet  and mask of the white lines then light spray of grey and peel off when dry if you need yellow use a yellow marker then mask and spray 

Edited by Peter Osborne
  • Thanks 1
Link to post

Yep that works, just need to do light coats so your lines don’t look embedded into the road. I’ve seen folks do it with heavy rattle cans and it looks a bit odd recessed and pulling the masking can leave some artifacts. I’ve done a lot of printed roads and you just use white paper and don’t print where you want white.

 

@Marcin how did you do those curved lines on the one module? Masked or just good curving of tin tape? They looked pretty tight. I’ve curved pin tape around a jig before, but I don’t think I’ve ever tried it that tight!

 

jeff

  • Like 1
Link to post
13 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Yep that works, just need to do light coats so your lines don’t look embedded into the road. I’ve seen folks do it with heavy rattle cans and it looks a bit odd recessed and pulling the masking can leave some artifacts. I’ve done a lot of printed roads and you just use white paper and don’t print where you want white.

 

@Marcin how did you do those curved lines on the one module? Masked or just good curving of tin tape? They looked pretty tight. I’ve curved pin tape around a jig before, but I don’t think I’ve ever tried it that tight!

 

jeff

I have masked 1 mm tape on colored cardboard. All my road lines I do it same way

 

FB_IMG_1613948093992.jpg

FB_IMG_1613122858163.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...