Sankakkei Railway

Morcs

What is the stain you used? Really came out a nice color! Very rich and velvety finish! Satin varnish? Makes you want to run your hand across it, which is what you want the user to do. The more you just accept this as something comfortable the more you can then just let it stand back and frame the main event.

You really did do a nice job!

jeff

2 hours ago, cteno4 said:

What is the stain you used? Really came out a nice color! Very rich and velvety finish! Satin varnish? Makes you want to run your hand across it, which is what you want the user to do. The more you just accept this as something comfortable the more you can then just let it stand back and frame the main event.

You really did do a nice job!

jeff

it was a marine grade, single pack varnish + stain in cedar, im liking how it came out.

Im liking the green, although its going to end up covered. I ended up doing 1 coat of varnish and sanding back before painting, just because i know how generous i am when water+pva ballasting 🙂

Cool you should be very sealed! I like cedar, it can be very rich (but beware using it as it has a lot of oils in it that mess with a lot of finishes.) Marine grade stuff is the best if for moisture and toughness. The finish though looks better than a lot of marine grade varnishes do. I’ve gotten into that loop of furniture varnishes can give really nice finishes but marine or exterior grade are tougher but sometimes just not as nice finish to the eye.

I guess I just get picky with way to many years doing varnishing (my dad was a ship captain and we live in the ship a lot and we always had a fix up boat and guess who did all the scraping, sanding, painting and varnishing? I grew up so wanting to have a lawn instead of a dock as the idea of earning money mowing lawns sounded better than working on boats! But I could always earn as much money as I wanted as with a boat that damn cycle of scrape, sand, varnish, repeat NEVER ends!

the green just screams I’m ready! 

again very nice job all around.

jeff

• Thanks 1