Greetings

alan_frost

Hello everyone,

I am new in the collection of Japanese train N scale.  I am from Belgium.

Nice to meet you all.

Here is my first acquisition.

Kato.jpg

• Like 6

Does anyone could give me some information about the JR 500 EVA Tomix and Kato version?  Please contact me by MP or here :).

ranger10178

Hi Alan! Welcome to the Forum!

I'm afraid I can't help with your enquiry, other than to suggest looking at eBay and Amazon.Jp, as well as the usual places such as HobbySearch.

I hope that helps in some way!

Kind Regards,

Tom

20 minutes ago, ranger10178 said:

Hi Alan! Welcome to the Forum!

I'm afraid I can't help with your enquiry, other than to suggest looking at eBay and Amazon.Jp, as well as the usual places such as HobbySearch.

I hope that helps in some way!

Kind Regards,

Tom

Sorry, I would like to know some details from those who already have the model, not where i can find it 😉

• Like 1

Welcome Alan!

glad you found us. Nice to see you’ve taken the plunge!

comparing Kato to Tomix is a bit of a tossup a lot of the time. Both are usually good, some models have a feature better or one may be more detailed or bit more on prototype, but that varies back and forth a lot.

one feature that newer Tomix Shinkansens have all wheel pickup with power connectors in the couplers. This means the whole train is doing power pickup so it will run smoothly even on dirty track and lighting won’t flicker. It’s a nice feature only Tomix has. 

another difference is Tomix uses a diaphragm on there shinkansens that basically is rotating full sized piece on each car that reduces any visual space between cars on curves (model radius curves are way more extreme than prototypes so you get big ugly gaps), but this is a bit unprototypical in design, it’s a compromise. On the Kato 500 the couplers are the diaphragms themselves between the cars and they are the prototypical size and looking and swing out as needed on sharper curves. But they are a tiny bit fragile and can break as well as break the tiny limiting pins on the chassis they use for the swinging out needed (I’ve repaired 3 in the club).i

there was a comparison of the eva paint jobs somewhere but I couldn’t find it. Some of the Japanese publications will do head to head detailed comparisons. We have both in the club and both look great, but I never compared the paint jobs really close up.

cheers

jeff

13 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Welcome Alan!

glad you found us. Nice to see you’ve taken the plunge!

comparing Kato to Tomix is a bit of a tossup a lot of the time. Both are usually good, some models have a feature better or one may be more detailed or bit more on prototype, but that varies back and forth a lot.

one feature that newer Tomix Shinkansens have all wheel pickup with power connectors in the couplers. This means the whole train is doing power pickup so it will run smoothly even on dirty track and lighting won’t flicker. It’s a nice feature only Tomix has. 

another difference is Tomix uses a diaphragm on there shinkansens that basically is rotating full sized piece on each car that reduces any visual space between cars on curves (model radius curves are way more extreme than prototypes so you get big ugly gaps), but this is a bit unprototypical in design, it’s a compromise. On the Kato 500 the couplers are the diaphragms themselves between the cars and they are the prototypical size and looking and swing out as needed on sharper curves. But they are a tiny bit fragile and can break as well as break the tiny limiting pins on the chassis they use for the swinging out needed (I’ve repaired 3 in the club).i

there was a comparison of the eva paint jobs somewhere but I couldn’t find it. Some of the Japanese publications will do head to head detailed comparisons. We have both in the club and both look great, but I never compared the paint jobs really close up.

cheers

jeff

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for your welcome and your explanation.

I saw a photo of the inside from the 1st car of the 500 Shinkansen EVA i think it's the Tomix but i do not know if the Kato version. has it or not...

The photo was whowing the inside representing the expo they made in the real shinkansen. That is exactly what i am looking for and it will really help me to take my decision on which version i will buy.

prod_23978698740.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forums Alan! Glad you found us!

Firstly, I have to applaud you as for a beginner in the N scale hobby it is pretty rare that you have the full 16-car consist of a shinkansen, the N700A! The one that you have there, the Kato one, also has an unique feature that the Tomix doesn't, the tilting mechanism that only Kato has; i.e. the train tilts at turns just like the real train! 

Regarding your question, I think the Kato EVA 500 doesn't have the unique 1st car interior, as I understand that the Kato model was based on a normal Nozomi 16-car set and thus the interior would not feature the unique EVA cockpit and displays, but then I could be wrong ~ The Kato set does come with a really unique EVA re-railer though... 

For the Tomix one, it does feature the unique EVA cockpit, however, it is plain and decals are provided to be applied to make it look like the one in the picture you posted ~ You can refer to the post i made when i received the lovely Tomix EVA 500 &nbsp;<-- click on the link

Have fun!  🙂

3 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Hi and welcome to the forums Alan! Glad you found us!

Firstly, I have to applaud you as for a beginner in the N scale hobby it is pretty rare that you have the full 16-car consist of a shinkansen, the N700A! The one that you have there, the Kato one, also has an unique feature that the Tomix doesn't, the tilting mechanism that only Kato has; i.e. the train tilts at turns just like the real train! 

Regarding your question, I think the Kato EVA 500 doesn't have the unique 1st car interior, as I understand that the Kato model was based on a normal Nozomi 16-car set and thus the interior would not feature the unique EVA cockpit and displays, but then I could be wrong ~ The Kato set does come with a really unique EVA re-railer though... 

For the Tomix one, it does feature the unique EVA cockpit, however, it is plain and decals are provided to be applied to make it look like the one in the picture you posted ~ You can refer to the post i made when i received the lovely Tomix EVA 500 &nbsp;<-- click on the link

Have fun!  🙂

Thank you for your welcome.

The fact is that I was in Japan when I found the starter set of the N700A in second hand (but totally new) and a few days later there was a promotion in a Yodobashi Camera in Osaka where they still had the two additionnal cars boxes.  This is how I have been able to get the full train.

I am also the president of a club that aims to promote model kits from Japan specially from japanese animations.  And now we will introduce N scale Japanese trains this year.