How the Tokyo Metro Handles Rush Hour to Operate On Time

An article from Metro Magazine.

Tokyo Metro is responsible for transporting eight million people on a daily basis. The metro company of the Japanese capital ranks third on the list of largest metro companies, in terms of passenger numbers, stations, and the total length of railway tracks — just behind New York and Paris. With the responsibility of having to operate on such a grand scale, time is of the essence.

https://www.metro-magazine.com/rail/article/721843/how-the-tokyo-metro-handles-rush-hour-to-operate-on-time

• Like 2

An interesting read this Bill thanks, I still look at Japan as the leader of mass rail based transport in the world.. even though they fall in third place behind Paris and New York with the metro's, they seem to be at the forefront of innovation and passenger involvement. It's strange how culturally things feel different... In the UK for example, I would never bother worrying about turning up to the station a within a couple of minutes of my train departure time, as I cannot even remember the last time it ran on time. In fact I have found myself in the past more annoyed about missing a train due to it departing on time, or slightly early, rather than me missing one due to me being late.

Cancelations and long delays are the norm, and it is widely accepted that that is the way things are In the UK - yes people complain but seldom offer any solutions. They would certainly not take kindly to be offered an incentive to travel at an alternative time to alleviate pressure - we are far too stubborn!

What is considered a normal delay on the Tokyo Subway - I see it displays an average delays of 7-18 working days each month

bikkuri bahn

What is considered a normal delay on the Tokyo Subway - I see it displays an average delays of 7-18 working days each month

Delays are not considered "normal" as in everyday occurrence, either by the train operator or the public, but are nonetheless considered to be more or less inevitable sometimes, especially on the busiest lines.  You are right about the average number of delays per working days/month.  The 18 day figure probably comes from the Chiyoda Line, which has extensive interlining on both ends (Joban Line and Odakyu Line).  Both these lines are extremely busy, the Odakyu Line in particular with multiple levels of train service, and utilize quad-tracking to handle the traffic.  Nonetheless, mishaps occur, and the chain effect of delays carries on through the metro portion of the line. In general, the greatest occurrence of delays fall on Monday mornings, as well as the first day of work after a long holiday or 3~4 day extended weekend.