Unknown freight car

Yavaris Forge

Yavaris Forge

Hello,

I found this video on youtube from 1985 because i was interested in the freight trains at that time but there was this one car that i simply did not know. I have never seen this kind of rail car in Japan before but I think it should be the same as the american steel coil car or the european Shimmns-type freight car.

It can be seen at 4:18 in the video. 

I hope someone can help me find the name of this car.

Have a nice day,

Yavaris

roadstar_na6

They look similar to Hoki‘s I‘ve seen on HobbySearch, but couldn‘t quite find an exact match

EDIT: Maybe Hoki2500?

Edited by roadstar_na6
  • Like 1
Yavaris Forge

But aren't Hoki 2500s for bulk goods? This looked more like a car for heavy dry goods (steel?) Maybe some kind of ChiKi?

2031102965_Screenshot(12).thumb.png.28425cfec91eaf9e0c905592a80b98d4.png

This is the car i meant. To me it looks like the hood can be retracted.

Martijn Meerts

I think it might be an optical illusion, and that it just has some bracing on top of the roof and on the side it's just a sliding door.

Yavaris Forge

Thanks for your help!

I suppose this is the most likely car and there even is a model version! This definitely goes on my wishlist.

roadstar_na6
5 minutes ago, Yavaris Forge said:

[...]

Good luck findig some, YAJ would be your best address I guess. They seem to be long sold out 

Edited by roadstar_na6
Yavaris Forge

Hello and welcome to the next episode of What car am I looking at? ! This time we are on the Chuo West Line by the time when there were still some D51s around.

In the video I found there is a blue freight car what looks like some sort of Wamu (80000 maybe) with a lot bigger roof than normal. It can be seen at around 1:36. Does someone know what that car is?

This is the car I'm looking for:

unknown-freight-car.thumb.PNG.40a12e80c886533cf637d54a0b440c7a.PNG

I think it's interesting to know what kind of freight cars were in service in the JNR era, so if anyone knows something, please share!

• Like 1

Could it be some kind of modified TuMu 1 ventilated box car? 

Actually, by close inspection, It doesn't look like a boxcar - maybe it's some kind of covered hopper car.

• Like 1
Yavaris Forge

I thought of something like the Tora45000 or Wamu480000 but they don't get wider at the top. Plus the video was taken before the Wamu480000 was introduced.

Edited by Yavaris Forge