Bidding on a EF64 ??

Jimbo

I'm bidding on a EF65 (well that's what it looks like?) Its a Kato dark blue with white JR lettering,, seller calls it  rare locomotive,,  ??  Sellers buy it now is well way to high,,  made an offer, told them seeing how they don't know if it works (seller says never been tested) an I don't know if it works,, 50 bucks was my offer an no offence to the seller about a low bid,,  I've just never seen this paint scheme before??  That's what caught my eye!!    Its a EF64 Kato  N3023-3 dark blue with yellow  JR lettering

Edited by Jimbo
woops

Seems like you're bidding on the model of the EF64 1010 in JR Freight's experimental "large logo" livery.

In the 1990s, the newly-formed JR freight experimented with numerous different liveries on various locomotives (for example, here on an EF66) to replace the JNR one, before eventually settling for the light blue and white livery in the early 2000s.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BTW, KATO 3023-3 seems to be a brown EF64.  KATO 3023-2 is the actual part number for the "rare" one on eBay in case you want to research it.

• Like 1

that's the one its a test color,, found 3 in Japan,, but worried about shipping??      The U S seller didn't like my bid! No way am I going to buy it now when the seller doesn't even know if it works!! not at full price of 121 bucks to much of a un known way to big of a chance to take on a used one,,,

Edited by Jimbo

Anyone who puts rare and untested is probably not at at all knowledgable. They look like a used toy seller.

these do come up on ebay, May need to lurk a while. I got mine a few years ago I think for about $40 ebay second hand. I can’t remember if it was a us seller or japan

jeff

jeff its one of the test colors guess that's why its rare??  He got this locomotive along with other n scale in a estate sale,, on a lighter note I need to stop buying locomotive's !! 

I don’t know if it is rare. I got one easily cheap a few years back on ebay and I’m pretty sure a us seller. Really rare stuff rarely ends up on us ebay.

sellers like that one always put “rare” on items even on very common items just because it’s Japanese! Once and a while I see these where they are asking $100 for a super rare item that’s super common (even on ebay if they would check) and worth $20 and I’ll send them a nice FYI message as it just bugs me. Sure it’s spitting into the wind on my part!

folks that shop yahoo.jp could tell you if it’s rare as if it’s expensive there all the time and not available there much it’s probably rare.

you can’t tell by the Japanese sellers on ebay.com as many of them put Japanese items, especially things out of production and not see on ebay at 2x-3x the price in japan hoping to catch someone just wanting it and not willing to track it down in japan and use a bidding/buying service to get it from there. It’s I got the money, want it, click, bought.

jeff