Low-sided Dump Trucks?

Question on a very small bit of scenery — what they heck are low-sided dump trucks used for?

Tomytec has some very lovely models of little dump trucks with low sides.  I've picked up a couple in auction batches of other little trucks.  My New England brain can't begin to guess why anyone would want such a vehicle.  Such as the little one in this package: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10478706/10/1

Web searching finally helped me figure out that Japan, and some other countries, have really taken to the crane trucks like in that pack for many uses that we use rollback flatbed tow trucks for, and that makes sense.  But still stumped on those dump trucks.

Around here, we have very large, very deep-sided dump trucks.  They are great for gravel companies, a specialty agriculture product of the region.  They are great for snow removal when you run out of room to plow snow up in piles by the side of the roads.  And for many other duties.  I don't recall ever seeing a low-sided one.

Thank you!

Haven't been there yet, but have certainly noticed how narrow many of the streets are while cruising through Google Street Views.  The extended sides of the trucks as seen in those photos would also provide more functional carrying volume if it can fit within load limits.

Those little trucks would be in some danger at Boston Sand & Gravel by North Station; they could be scooped up and dropped in the big ones here.
: 3

—Cat

Put it like this, a large swathe of the construction/delivery/refuse disposal industry orientates around the requirement to fit down streets commonly 4.5 metres wide, often with 90 degree bends and basically no overhang room. Even the road signs are constructed so the poles can be as close to the edge of the road as possible, and a little bend in the pole at the top to extend the actual sign outwards a little.

• Like 2

Kat its more along the lines of the  one ton dumps we sell at work for contractors an landscape people,, Ha need more room in the dump  put side boards on it

• Like 1