First home layout

shadowtiger25

shadowtiger25

Well, all the local cubs are closed, and I'm itching to be able to run trains. I have wanted to do this for a while since I now have a spare room I have never been able to find a roommate for, so I'm going to build a "small" HO scale layout with Kato Unitrack following their Fox Meadow Valley design

build up the frame work for the layout today. Although it needs more structural support, but I'm out of wood and screws for now

photo4931478348757051529.thumb.jpg.d6e67c8d8fc3ac2bbdf09f12435e82e7.jpgHO-plan-Fox-Meadow.pdf

• Like 1

Great, it’s a start! Thinking of wheels at all to easily move around to work on all sides? Or will it be living away from the walls?

nice little plan, good room left for structures.

jeff

shadowtiger25

it doesn't really have space to move as there is only 6 inches left over on the 10 foot sides, a bit of a mistake on my side, but that's how we learn.😅

the picture doesn't show it but there is a closet in that room just off the side on the left that eats up space.

next I want to put in a couple of support bars and put extruded polystyrene on top my plan was for it to be 41 inches tall so it would be eye level from an office chair at half height. I will probably make the scenery in sections and put it on finished since space is an issue. 

Whoops, but you can just move back and forth to have against the wall on one end and a foot of room at the other which Is around the minimum to work in. 3’ reach in from sides will be a long reach, but ho so a bit easier with parts twice as big. Step stools with a frame to lean against may help some but do be careful reaching out 3’ not to loose your balance and not to over strain your back. I’ve been lucky with a strong back (only tweaked it slightly a couple of time doing really stupid lifts) but I have cramped it up badly working out arms extended like that for longer times.

scenery panels are a good idea just have to figure out a way to drop them in place and remove when needed out in the middle

jeff

shadowtiger25

on the 6 foot sides there is at least 4 feet of clearance in the room so moving back and forth is no problem

shadowtiger25

Well, the bench work is now almost complete, and now all I need is the foam-board to put on top of it. It would be finished but my drill ran out of power...

Also, the guy at the store cut my wood to the wrong size, and I had to use a spacer, and cut an extra inch from the other boards.

Also I ordered all of the track that I needed, minus the peices that one of my club members donated to me from his very dusty store room

photo4954000405637998642.thumb.jpg.80bd212cdef53f697c643fbc6646be01.jpg

Also, I striped the crap out of this screw trying to get it in..

photo4954000405637998641.thumb.jpg.0e184ef351492c76d3497f393451513d.jpg

• Like 1

6x10 is a larger layout, you have to design that size of layout.

Bench work in modules.

It helps in space utilization.

Configurations.gif

https://www.sieversbenchwork.com/modulelayout.html

Modules gives you natural shelf space along with crawl space.

I'm not saying to buy it but model your build after it. The cost is in the labor to cut the wood.

Oh, you need to drill pilot holes.

Inobu

Edited by inobu
shadowtiger25
4 hours ago, inobu said:

Oh, you need to drill pilot holes.

Inobu

I did drill holes, the drill is a cheep one thats a bit underpowered, and it was running low on battery power at the time

Also, I'm going with a track plan that kato made. I will look at those next time I plan one, but this one is only going to last a couple of years

11 hours ago, katoftw said:

If you make all the bracing skinny side up. They will be 5x stronger.

I had thought about that, but I decided to do it like that to help hold the foam board. I dont really plan on putting a lot of scenery in. Its my first layout in a place I'm probably only going to live in for like 2 more years while in college. I plan on moving after my BA degree

Edited by shadowtiger25

This is a good tool. The demo allows you to place 50 pieces of track. The full access is $60.00 

Its about spending your Hobby Dollars wisely...and not making costly mistakes.

A Kato HO switch is $55. So it would be worth giving up 1 switch on your layout for this program.

The program can save you a lot of headache and lost money on mistakes. On top of that 

you can design your layout based on your needs.

https://www.anyrail.com/en/download 

Do everything on paper first. Its easier and cheaper to erase than tear down and buy again.

When its on paper you can price everything out as well. Mcmaster Carr

Inobu

You will be surprised with all the hidden issues that pop up. Being in WV the humidity 

will cause the wood to expand and contract making the screw connection loosen up.

The center will sag over time.

Hobby Dollars.

This was 15 years ago. The layout is long gone but I reused the cabinets

in my shop today.

Spend wisely.

Good Luck

Inobu

• Like 2
ranger10178

Looking good!

Shame about missing track... I'm forever forgetting to order one little thing here and there...

shadowtiger25
8 minutes ago, ranger10178 said:

Looking good!

Shame about missing track... I'm forever forgetting to order one little thing here and there...

at least its only one 4 pack I need.

some of this track was given to me and those curves just happen to be part of what was

shadowtiger25

Never gave any updates, but I have been working on it

I redid the top placing down plywood then gluing the foam on top, and adding foam under the track to raise it up.

using homemade sclupter mold I am starting to build up the land form in areas I dont plan n having buildings.

I want to order the buildings, but shipping from japan is still up in the air.

photo5055803096332085373.thumb.jpg.773b2918500144af2de0b3b1b4192f9e.jpg 

• Like 5