Hello from sunny Surrey (UK)

ranger10178

ranger10178
1 hour ago, JR-Rail said:

Hi Ranger, I am new also, and like yourself have a keen interest in Japanese n scale models, but alsoany other European and British.. I have the orange TGV set for example, plus s couple of farish diesel locos that I would hope to incorporate somehow - I'm planning on doing a port freight depot so maybe an opportunity there!

The freight depot sounds like a fantastic idea! I'd love to see some photos when you get started! I'm planning to incorporate a freight terminal on my layout when I start construction! - I just need to get hold of a nice big piece of MDF (2440mm x 1220mm - which will be cut down slightly to 2100mm x 1100mm due to space constraints)

Make an HO/OO gauge port at the front of your layout and an N gauge layout across the water at the back.
They're not smaller... they're further away 🙂

• Like 2
On 4/13/2020 at 7:28 PM, Sheffie said:

Make an HO/OO gauge port at the front of your layout and an N gauge layout across the water at the back.
They're not smaller... they're further away 🙂

Thanks for the perspective! 😉

• Like 2
On 4/13/2020 at 1:24 PM, ranger10178 said:

The freight depot sounds like a fantastic idea! I'd love to see some photos when you get started! I'm planning to incorporate a freight terminal on my layout when I start construction! - I just need to get hold of a nice big piece of MDF (2440mm x 1220mm - which will be cut down slightly to 2100mm x 1100mm due to space constraints)

My Dad and I have a huge loft conversion space to play with so at the minute the ideas just keep on growing into the available space. I've said we need to agree to start off small though, and get a manageable section up and running first, then expand from there. Both of us love model railways, but both of us are also new to layout modeling and the 100's of new skills that come with it!

• Like 1

You might want to take a look at T-Trak or NTrak modular style layouts.  Even if you create your own in-house module standards, it makes it very easy to expand a layout over time.

We're doing a hybrid with T-Trak standard mainlines with non-standard branchline modules.

ranger10178
2 hours ago, JR-Rail said:

My Dad and I have a huge loft conversion space to play with so at the minute the ideas just keep on growing into the available space. I've said we need to agree to start off small though, and get a manageable section up and running first, then expand from there. Both of us love model railways, but both of us are also new to layout modeling and the 100's of new skills that come with it!

It should be good fun when it comes to building the layout! I've never really built a proper layout before, just a few (rubbish) dioramas.

I'd echo Cat's suggestion about T-Trak, it would be a great way to vary the use of space in that you could easily change the layout when you get board of the design you have etc. I'm looking into T-Trak myself, however I'll probably build a couple of modules as a separate project to my layout..

Ttrak is a great way to get started and learn all the basics before diving into a larger layout. It lets you work on things a module at a time and if you screw something up or doesn’t come out like you want it no big loss, just scrape it up and do again! Many get into scenery on larger layouts and something goes wrong a it really can slow progress or make folks give up! Do a small Ttrak loop then transfer what you learn into a bigger layout later. Folks even make a part of their bit layout be Ttrak like a Ttrak peninsula. 

also if there is a club nearby it’s great to play with others. Even without a local club a Ttrak loop is great as you can take it to events and quickly set it up for a fun train display. Train shows, cultural events, libraries, parties you do that have kids at them, all are great places to show off your work and share the fun and grow the hobby!

cheers

jeff

• Like 2