Hello from sunny Surrey (UK)

ranger10178

ranger10178

Hi all,

I found this group/forum by 'accident' after having seen Kanjiyama on Google! I decided to join up as I was looking for some inspiration for a layout!

I've got a few bits and pieces of Japanese N Gauge (EMU's DMU's etc) that I wanted to put to use in my new layout (Planned to be a non country specific layout - so I can run my huge fleet of British stock, my Japanese fleet, as well as my small German, Italian and Belgian fleets).

• Like 1

Welcome ranger,

careful you may find your Japanese fleet grow fast, they are addictive. Many here have come from other countries and now japanese trains rule their fleets! Good bang for the buck and high quality as well as a very wide range of trains also suck many in

cheers

jeff

Claude_Dreyfus

Ooh, another local! I'm in neighbouring West Sussex. I am pleased to see that Kanjiyama led you here, hope you get lots of inspiration.

ranger10178
1 hour ago, Drunkenclam said:

Good to have another J-Fan local.

Welcome aboard

Thank you 🙂

I see you're from Guildford - which is where I work - at the station. (I live just a few miles to the west of Guildford)

ranger10178
10 hours ago, Sheffie said:

Hello and welcome! There’s an interesting mix of Japanese and worldwide trains here. 

Thank you! I saw there were non-Japanese threads on here!

ranger10178
10 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Welcome ranger,

careful you may find your Japanese fleet grow fast, they are addictive. Many here have come from other countries and now japanese trains rule their fleets! Good bang for the buck and high quality as well as a very wide range of trains also suck many in

cheers

jeff

Thank you!

Don't worry, I've already got a few more sets on order 😉 (A bunch of Container wagons and an EF210)

Already pondering getting an DD51 😂

From when I got my first Kato train (a superb Kiha58 4 coach set - now up to 7 coaches) a couple of years ago, I've found myself getting more interested in Japanese Railways!

I really love the "plug and play" concepts with Kato and Tomix sets - especially for those with little room for a full layout like myself.

ranger10178
5 hours ago, miyakoji said:

Hi Ranger welcome to the forum!  Kanjiyama was really impressive.

Thank you! It looked pretty damn awesome from the photographs!

ranger10178
22 minutes ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

Ooh, another local! I'm in neighbouring West Sussex. I am pleased to see that Kanjiyama led you here, hope you get lots of inspiration.

Thank you very much! Not far away at all then! I wish I'd seen Kanjiyama in the flesh! I saw you're making a "Coronavirus layout" at the moment, which looks awesome!

• Thanks 1
ranger10178
6 hours ago, Cat said:

It often starts with a few bits and pieces.....

That's for sure! I used to have an impressive OO collection (probably around 125 locomotives with around 400 wagons and 100 coaches) - I sold those and started collecting N gauge...

In terms of N gauge British stock I have around 10 full HST sets, as well as many different rakes of freight wagons and other passenger trains!

• Like 1
ranger10178
46 minutes ago, Drunkenclam said:

Freight wagons. Well there is a whole different avenue of expense 😄

I find the freight stuff far more interesting! I'd much rather see a DD51 or a EF64 etc, hauling a container train, than see the Shinkansen!

[I've noticed that the JRF flat wagons seem to be somewhat cheaper than their British N gauge counterparts. - Around £8.50 for a Tomix Koki 106 + £10 or so for a set of 5 x 19D containers, vs £72 for a pair of Graham Farish FIA wagons (with containers). - That, coupled (pardon the pun) with JRF running far shorter rakes {Around 15 wagons I think} of container wagons to British freight companies, makes a JRF train far more appealing to me!]

• Like 1
Drunkenclam

Well. Not the short.

I always wanted to have some of the Tetsudou-musume containers, But then I am a sucker for cute anime girls.

• Like 1
ranger10178

This is true! Maybe they appear shorter because of the smaller containers?

I'll have to look into those Tetsudou musume containers then 😉

6 hours ago, Drunkenclam said:

I always wanted to have some of the Tetsudou-musume containers, But then I am a sucker for cute anime girls.

We got a pack of those from Yahoo Auction Japan.  They may not be prototypical..... yet.... this is Japan!

With all the actual wrappings that we have in Oarai for Girls und Panzer Kihas and buses; plus the visiting Tama Densha, and a pair of 11 Piki No Neko buses, the Tetsudou Musume containers will look right at home and liven up the strings of kokis.

• Like 2
ranger10178

Showing your inner weaboo?! 😛

I've got the Kashima Rinkai Girls und Panzer unit in my storage locker 🤣

We're both huge fans of the series, and just re-watched Der Film last night before we head into module planning for Oarai! 

The B-Train Shorty car sets are what led us into modelling Ibaraki.  It all started with the plan to do Mito–Oarai.  Then we discovered the neighboring Hitachinaka Kaihin Tetsudo and so we added Katsuta and all that.  Then we saw all the lovely farmland along the Naka River between the two; so later we can add those modules in the middle.

In the distant future, we can't rule out adding the Suigun Line heading inland from Mito....

It all started with a few Kashima Rinkai cars, and a bunch of N scale buildings I had collected as scenery for GuP miniatures gaming.  I've run a lot of games at miniatures conventions using home brew rules and 1/100 models that I've painted up for many of the teams.

• Like 1
ranger10178

Ahhh that's awesome! I thought the series was really good too! They need to make another!

That makes sense, I'll be following your progress - as it seems quite the impressive project!

I do Flames of War - 15mm WW2 wargaming, but it would certainly be interesting to look into GuP wargaming! (If anyone in the UK has done something like you!)

There is someone in the UK, but I don't think he's taken it out to gaming conventions, just home play.  He started the rules, and then I jumped in and we did a bunch of polishing.  I'll post some links over in my Wargaming thread in the Other Hobbies section.

• Like 1

Hi Ranger, I am new also, and like yourself have a keen interest in Japanese n scale models, but alsoany other European and British.. I have the orange TGV set for example, plus s couple of farish diesel locos that I would hope to incorporate somehow - I'm planning on doing a port freight depot so maybe an opportunity there!

• Like 1