BLS Cargotrain hits piece of a bridge on the Rhinetal line near Freiburg

Yavianice

https://www.blick.ch/news/bahnunglueck-bls-gueterzug-entgleist-in-deutschland-nahe-basel-id15827550.html

Not sure how it happened but it crashed into a bridge which was under construction. Last time such an accident occurred it caused a massive disruption for pretty much all cargo traffic between the Ruhrgebiet and Italy. Now with the coronavirus crisis, hopefully the impact will be less severe.

Edited by disturbman
10 hours ago, Yavianice said:

The accident is very unfortunate.  Condolences to the train driver who lost his life and to the injured truck drivers who were passengers (as the train is a "rolling highway" ferrying trucks and their drivers).

Of interest in the above link, is that the news video embedded is from Switzerland, and the guy was speaking a form of Swiss German.  Which is very interesting.  I got most of it (so I suspect he was speaking Swiss German dialectual pronunciation and accent with perhaps more High German grammar and/or vocabulary?)

Edited by chadbag

I assume that the slab lying flat beside the loco was part of the bridge, if so the loco must have deralied before it hit the bridge.

Bill

Melbourne

Like with the previous accident, goods rail traffic is diverted over the Schaffhausen/Stuttgart line. Partial rerouting will also be done over France.

By sheer coincidence the train was photographed by a train spotter minutes before it crashed.

apologies but it’s a Facebook link. But you don’t need an account to view it.

On 4/3/2020 at 6:54 PM, ben_issacs said:

I assume that the slab lying flat beside the loco was part of the bridge, if so the loco must have deralied before it hit the bridge.

Bill

Melbourne

There are some photos that show the bridge, maybe 10 car lengths back.  There appears to be damage to the parallel track, I assume this is from the train pushing the slab.

The train may not be on its track, but it's not fouling the other track.  It didn't dramatically derail and hit lineside bridge pylons, for example.  Based on this photo it seems like the slab was on the track for some reason.  Looks like the trailer carriers slid under the passenger car in the second position and maybe the loco itself.