Kenekimura - Lockdown Layout

Claude_Dreyfus

Claude_Dreyfus

Today's activities have been around adding the coal conveyors.

IMG_3428.thumb.JPG.fa22e27daa229d4a5b9713ab5117547d.JPG

The coal hopper and crusher have been painted and weathered (although it doesn't look up to much in this photo), with the coal added. The various covered conveyors and junction building have been built, but not painted (the supporting legs between the crusher and junction will be more in the middle of the conveyor). The crusher will have an overall roof added.

I am getting to the end of the cement works construction, so am now looking at things like ground cover and details such as buffer stops for the sidings, weeds etc. before fixing the buildings down. I don't think I have forgotten anything around the main structures.

• Like 7

Interestingly there’s a feature of a modern cement works diorama in the July/August 2020 edition of RM Models.

Theres also a separate article in the same magazine of an Iida Line-esque limestone module using 3 of the Tomytec coaling towers kit-bashed into hopper loading facitilty. It’s issue 299.

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 2
Claude_Dreyfus

That's a coincidence. Magazines are always a great source of inspiration... 

So, here we are. The main structures of the cement works have been completed and fitted down. Now for the fun job of bedding everything in and adding the detailing bits.

IMG_3450.thumb.JPG.832143e874abfa88472373779e0c7b2f.JPG

A further hardstanding layer has been painted marking out where the roadways are, and the first layer of landscaping - grass and the like - has gone down around the yard. Still lots of extra bits to add to the yard - piles of coal, a small lockup/shed, buffer stops etc.

IMG_3455.thumb.JPG.c823c527dc0062d8b7bb5de24a75c505.JPG

An overall view of the complete layout so far. Plenty still to do, but the basics are now in place.

• Like 7
Claude_Dreyfus

More fettling has been ongoing today. Something did go wrong with the skylight on the cement work's main structure. I had rather unwisely used superglue to do some fixing on the roof, and unfortunately didn't ventilate properly. This cause a permanent 'misting' of the skylight, which meant I needed to replace it. The new glazing is in place in this overall view; just need to add the frames again.

IMG_3458.thumb.JPG.57e8eb852a91b3f12744d4d7d237c963.JPG

More trees have sprouted - especially on the bottom right-hand corner - as well as more catenary.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

Something did go wrong with the skylight on the cement work's main structure. I had rather unwisely used superglue to do some fixing on the roof, and unfortunately didn't ventilate properly. This cause a permanent 'misting' of the skylight, which meant I needed to replace it.

Could have been classed as a happy mistake. These kind of industries in rural locations tend to get pretty overgrown and shabby in a lot of places. With 2 months of heavy rain each year and the high humidity, nature very quickly tries to take back its territory. I’m sure there are many skylights that are covered with natural debris and misted over.

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus
On 7/7/2020 at 4:39 PM, AhmadKane said:

I'd like to think the misty skylight is caused by a sudden explosion from a secret agent infiltration

Takana-san and his supporting band of Ninjas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Claude_Dreyfus

The latest activity on the layout involves lots of little jobs which have been put off. I finally finished fixing the skylight, and have added the buffer stops - simply made out of bits of old track (I guessed that the cement works rail operations weren't flush with cash, so a make do and mend approach was needed). More trees have sprouted and the final catenary masts are up. The rest of the signals (including ground signal) have been installed and additional greenery is growing. 

IMG_3461.thumb.JPG.32303438f85e2e6218739864110c6a38.JPG

IMG_3468.thumb.JPG.d13a073a7f061a92528e46e6d46f8c42.JPG

So far there are 25 trees on the layout, with a few more to add...as well as more bushes/foliage.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
Claude_Dreyfus

Goodness, it has been nearly a month since the last update...although to be honest not vast amounts of progress has taken place; mainly fettling. I suppose the most visible change is me finally getting round to painting the baseboard edging, which improves the appearance immeasurably. That is pretty much the last big job to do on the layout, the final significant addition will be some crossing gates (I have a set of Tomytec barriers on their way, which will be the only specific purchase for this layout; vehicles and stock doesn't count!).

IMG_3504.thumb.JPG.8c1718435bdcce9d33c6dbe70d83821e.JPG

The left hand approach to the layout is on a low embankment. Nothing dramatic, just enough to give some variety. The Kato ED19 is a very cute little engine.

Works.thumb.jpg.0221ec19130cb01624ab6154da112d4d.jpg

Also cute is the cement works shunter, here manoeuvring a couple of Hoki 5700 cement wagons into the loading shed. 

• Like 9
Claude_Dreyfus

IMG_3509.thumb.JPG.72215975de620919412f49419a06c35b.JPG

Pure Iida line - a Kumoha 42 driving carriage leads an afternoon train away from Kenekimura. 

• Like 9
Claude_Dreyfus

My first arrival from Japan for quite some time turned up yesterday; a set of level crossing barriers. These are the Tomytec version, which have had the base trimmed down to fit (out of the box, the base was too high). I am not 100% sure how I managed it, but the barriers are exactly the right length for the road width.

IMG_3515.thumb.JPG.b02df3c4d93dc7eecebd4a18f954b2da.JPG

The barriers protect the main line, with the siding to the shed (also acting as yard headshunt) guarded by signs only.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1
Tony Galiani

Great scene.  I particularly like the lighting - the natural light and shadow effects really enhance the scene.

I used those Tomytec barriers on my Chihiro Tetsudo layout.  Only I wasn't savvy enough to cut them down to reduce the height.  (Though Catzilla eventually reduced their height for me ....)

Anyway,  live and learn  - - I will try that the next time I use them.

Cheers,

Tony Galiani

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Tony Galiani said:

I particularly like the lighting - the natural light and shadow effects really enhance the scene.

I agree. Unfortunately, it’s often not possible to bring layouts outdoors. 
Does anyone know how to get the same effect indoors? With some kind of strong directional light?

Hard to get it indoors even with a strong photo light as you end up with a lot of reflected light that mucks up the effect.

i got to do some exhibit model Photo shoots with high end lighting designer long time back and even though the large models were in the middle of a warehouse space like 100’ x 100’ we shot at night and we were draping black cloths on stands around the models and other things to sop up reflected light that could mess up how they were trying to put light.

amazing what they could do with lighting. The model would not look anything special going on with the light but then look thru the lens and wow!

jeff

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus

Obviously photographing in natural light gives a more realistic effect - softer lighting, consistent shadows etc - but carting a layout this size around is straight-forward to easier to set up. 

That said, I have seen a professional at work - our club 00 layout was photographed for Railway Modeller a couple of years back - and the combination of lighting and those umbrella defusers can create a really effective image.

Claude_Dreyfus

Progress has pretty much come to a halt now, as the weather is getting colder and the bulk of the construction has been completed. There will always be minor updates to the scenery; but the main aim for next year will be snagging and improving running qualities. In the main it runs well, but some of the wiring needs tidying up, and I will be adding some new section isolators. 

The weather was quite nice the other day, so I took a few more pictures. We're a bit limited for size, so it will be a couple of posts.

1194750101_Kumoha42.thumb.jpg.1a9cecf509469217f45ae079a4bc8664.jpg

Waiting for the train.

313.thumb.jpg.df92c2cef7af55ec683d5fe7c992c965.jpg

The new order

• Like 10

Nice work.

I'd like to say that during lockdown I have done plenty. But due to my line of work. I was in Coventry yesterday. Nottingham today and Glasgow next week. So any time at home is spent being dad 😄

• Like 1