Kenekimura - Lockdown Layout

Claude_Dreyfus

Claude_Dreyfus

I know Blofeld hung out in a Japanese volcano to wreak global mayhem, and later on decamped to an oil rig; but not sure he would make a small cement works in Nagano prefecture his lair for world domination...

Just by way of a final update for this week, the internal gubbin's have now been positioned. Final detailing and painting in required. Also a chimney has sprouted...

IMG_20200531_172830.thumb.jpg.61405b8d6389a71c091ff730dfda8146.jpg

Again, donated from the airlock, and awaiting a lick of paint.

Finally, I though I would add an overall picture showing the current situation with the layout. The overhead cantenary has now made its way across to the left-hand tunnel.

IMG_20200531_173149.thumb.jpg.bec13098040a57467464fc2adaeb3981.jpg

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 8

Nice! What about some larger industrial windows in the cement building to see all the cool insides?

jeff

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus

I quite liked the idea of hiding them...secretly hidden away 😉  

That said, I may add a couple of skylights, so more than just a little hint can be seen; but I don't want to enlarge the windows too much as most structures of this nature I have seen pictures of have smaller, higher located windows.

I may even think about adding internal lighting! 😲

• Like 2

You’re thinking like blofeld! Make James bong have to stack up some crates and stand on his tippy toes to peek in the bottom of the window!  😜

yeah hidden bits for the eye to find are fun! Lighting will bring it in. Yeah prototype is the kind of place they don’t need the large amount of light, man inly just big machines processing away. Low windows would probably end up coated in cement dust!

cheers

jeff

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus

Finally got the edging and fascias sorted out. These have been glued and screwed in place. Hopefully they will provide protection for the edges of the layout, as well as making it look neater (hopefully it will look better once blended to the scenery, and painted).

IMG_20200606_155807.thumb.jpg.ffba7042079276698adfccd6feb12d31.jpg

Now to work out what to put in that front right hand corner. There is provision for a small increase in ground height, but otherwise its still to be decided...nothing too tall as the corners are more vulnerable when the layout is being moved.

• Like 5
On 5/31/2020 at 5:48 PM, Claude_Dreyfus said:

I quite liked the idea of hiding them...secretly hidden away 😉  

That said, I may add a couple of skylights, so more than just a little hint can be seen; but I don't want to enlarge the windows too much as most structures of this nature I have seen pictures of have smaller, higher located windows.

You could always cover them with 50 years worth of grime....

• Haha 1
Claude_Dreyfus

A couple of things have happened so far this week.

Firstly the retaining wall has not got on very well with the fluctuating temperatures in the shed. I've mentioned earlier that I've tried to avoid cardboard for structures - the only significant cardboard on the scenic area is the road, which has many coats of paint and thoroughly glued down (that ain't going anywhere!) - is it can warp. That accounts for the lack of Sankai structures used. Well, the retaining wall has buckled a bit, so it has been removed and replaced with plasticard. It has been painted and fitted...no photos of this yet, they'll come over the next few days.

Secondly, the cement works have progressed, with the loading shed underway.

IMG_3385.thumb.JPG.b8932a5dbb26c58622620c67fd349c61.JPG

The extension is less straight forward. It houses the rail loading shed, along with the various secondary crushing stages, the furnace with coal loading, as well as storage. All this in a structure which is essentially cut into by the track. The chimney will also come from this structure. The trickiest aspect of this will be to roof, which I suspect will need some fettling to get right. 

IMG_3387.thumb.JPG.23f0d2f376a86f4492fd458523d2f13e.JPG

The odd shape is a little clearer here, The chimney will be located where the cut out along the back wall will be. The first of the two silos can be seen as well.

Still loads to do, but there is progress.

• Like 5

So curious have you had issues with sankei structures buckling on you with heat and humidity changes? I too have had cardstock do that without a lot of reinforcing and sealing. The sankei laserboard seems to have a lot of resin in it and I’ve wondered if this will help on the warping and swelling/shrinking.also the layering of sankei walls I Hope helps this.

maybe I need to sacrifice a larger sankei to the garage for the next 6 months to go thru the cycle here from a hot humid summer to cold dry winter!

cheers

jeff

Claude_Dreyfus

I first came across this issue with structures on Kanjiyama. It resulted in a few of the structures being removable (not ideal, when I inevitably forgot them for one show!). The main issue was around the paper covering (roofs predominantly) and the finer details (balconies etc.), as opposed to the main structures. In my experience, card in general (even pretty thick stuff, painted/varnished), doesn't get on too well with colder weather.

These were sankei, correct?

yep the worst I’ve had with warping On cardstock is with roofs slowly sagging and I’ve worried about that with sankei and contemplating some bracing on them as I’ve not glued most down totally to allow for lighting them, but I also feared not being glued to cause them to warp. But they are all inside with pretty good humidity and temp control for now.

thanks

jeff 

Thanks. Bummer, was hoping that sankei with all the resin was different.

sorry another question, were they clear coated?

jeff

Claude_Dreyfus

By 'clear coated' do you mean adding some sort of varnish (I use matt core normally)? For the Sankei kits (apologies, earlier typo), I didn't treat them; which may have been part of the issue!

In fairness, the layouts live in the shed, which will experience some wide temperature variation. It is pretty well sealed (no real evidence of damp), but being a wooden structure, there will be a degree of humidity.

Perhaps I should test out with the Matt varnish.

It's all a learning curve, this modelling lark!

Yes, matte spray varnish like testors dull coat or krylon acrylic clear matte. They have worked well for me in the past on printed cardstock models to limit humidity warping. Unless she’d super weather sealed humidity will leak in pretty well. Unfortunately my garage gets a refresh when the big door is opened!

isssue with dullcoating the sankei is it really needs to be done before assembly as don’t want to do it with Glazing in place and also get inside laminated faces as air can get in there. I did one sankei and it worked well to just dull coat alll the pieces first so now I’ve been wondering to just do it for all in the future. Ttrak I don’t worry about as I keep those inside, club layout boxes though are stored in the garage. I’m leaning on doing it to all future ones. Now selecting a non varnished one to put in the garage as just a test subject.

jeff

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus

More work progressing on the cement works.

IMG_3388.thumb.JPG.9e76ce23001c8a023dc88ec712bb04f8.JPG

Detailing has started on the loading bay of the cement works.The wagons obtained for the works have loading points at the base and on the roof. To match the base loading, pipes were added. These are made from pieces of wire. Other pipes were made from the shafts of cotton buds. Details will only be basic, as most of this will be enclosed. At this stage its almost ready to paint.

IMG_3395.thumb.JPG.f19f2ae5d7fbdffd601b0c9f739e6369.JPG

Now painted and in situ (although the building has not been fitted down - hence the gaps). Still painting and further detailing to carry out.

• Like 4
Claude_Dreyfus

A couple more pictures.

1273134449_CementWorks1.thumb.jpg.9dfb5d38c8df96cade213b9db98bb37a.jpg

The current work in progress in situ, with the internal gubbins in place and the silos located (but not fixed) at the far end.The chimney may be replaced; its a bit short and wide.

IMG_3398.thumb.JPG.4d6e25e0b61b0ea26213ff4ba590fe0e.JPG

A view of the internal workings from the town..

• Like 6
Claude_Dreyfus

More progress today!

IMG_3399.thumb.JPG.28bcf4acb7cadaa3d1afa19d46fe9ad2.JPG

IMG_3403.thumb.JPG.a45a7414c615af10ffb296aaa7d88ca7.JPG

The roofs have been cut out, painted and fitted. The loading shed and flat roof have been glued down, however the main shed hasn't yet been stuck down as there is still stuff to do. Following on from earlier conversations, there is a skylight It is glazed in these pictures). This still needs the frames added, as well as weathering. As can be seen, the internal bits can be seen through it.

The flat roof structure has detailing added to it - pipes and ventilation bits. The whole thing needs weathering. 

The biggest change today is around the chimney area. There is no chimney, for the moment. This area now has the archetypal tower (albeit rather smaller than the average) seen at so many concrete works. Hopefully it gives the structure a little more variety and interest. There will be a chimney, but I am not 100% sure when this will be located.

Its getting there...  

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 11
Claude_Dreyfus

Over the course of the week more bits and pieces for the cement works have taken shape - just a little bit here and there.

The main focus is around the limestone loading process. This includes the unloading hoppers and crushers. 

IMG_3405.thumb.JPG.9caf39dbd41f2c6081f778986f74b772.JPG

To start with, the crusher. This grinds up the initial limestone stones into the finer gravel; before passing onto a second crusher in the main structure. It has been fashioned out of plasticard. The covers for the crushing drums were simply discs punched out with a hole punch; the other bits are thin microstrip. It still needs painting, which is likely to be a dark yellow colour (based on the example of crushers I found Google search...my internet history is rather dull!).

IMG_3409.thumb.JPG.0af8c1bdf39860c11c185bae44c3e92c.JPG

Here it is in some form of context. The conveyor belts haven't been fitted yet, and the tipper truck won't be featuring on the layout (its a 1/160 Wiking offering...too small, but probably the right era). The two stanchions will support the roof of the shed this lot will live in, as well as provide support for a conveyor. This has all been made from plasticard. 

• Like 10
Claude_Dreyfus

IMG_3411.thumb.JPG.ba39863214d1504029e03f7d99b05567.JPG

Yesterday I finished constructing the bits for the stone crushing and test fitted before painting. From left to right; the stone unloading hopper, then the conveyor taking the stone to the crusher. They another conveyor taking the crushed stone into the main plant.

IMG_3414.thumb.JPG.eabbfb21c9c8c869b5192ea93cc8565f.JPG

IMG_3415.thumb.JPG.688a71249a7fc81744c2474bde443fc2.JPG

Now located, but not fixed. in situ. Painting has been done - the crusher was yellow, but so much dust has accumulated that it is hardly noticeable!) - as well as stone bits being added. Still some fettling to carry out (touching up paint work and adding another stanchion) , but It looks okay.

The skylight has also been added to the main roof, as well as the tower. Now I need to get working on that chimney.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Really enjoying watching this one come together, fantastic attention to detail. You can never have enough pipes and ventilation! 

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus

We have a chimney! 

IMG_3418.thumb.JPG.a7f4e0e089e3cf6e68d36377eeb55ad5.JPG

This is meant to be a metal chimney, which is cut from a piece of tubing used for wine making. It has been painted silver, with rust and grime weathering. The main roof still has yet to be fixed down.

IMG_3420.thumb.JPG.cf08fb46d267712cbe49b4d637aff1b1.JPG

An overall view showing how the layout currently looks. The hut between the main line and the yard is not fixed down...not too sure if that will stay there.

• Like 8
Claude_Dreyfus
13 hours ago, AhmadKane said:

This town is the sort of town I would get lost in from train hopping random trains

Trust me, there is potential for plenty of random trains through this station!

• Haha 3
Claude_Dreyfus

The latest updates to the works is a replacement for the silos. Whilst very nice models, I felt the Red Imp silos were too small. Whilst the works themselves aren't large, but needed something a little more substantial.

These new silos were made from 2cm diameter metal pipe - I think it was a wardrobe clothes rail in a past life - wrapped with 10thou plasticard.  

IMG_3423.thumb.JPG.0900351182304529cd9bf9415746d736.JPG

The various pipes were a combination of cotton buds shafts and microstrip, with the top walkway made from plasticard and microstrip. The ladder started life from a Kato station kit, with microstrip additions.

IMG_3424.thumb.JPG.002cf76b20fc02fc0c3dd9b5205797de.JPG

Painted and located in situ, it certainly gives the works more presence.

Next we move to the fuel for the plant. This is a bit of a 3d jigsaw (where i am making the pieces up as I go along!), and fitting in them in the spaces available. The kiln would either be coal or gas fired...I decided on Coal in the end. For this, a hopper, crusher and series of conveyors are needed to get the coal from loading to furnace.  

IMG_3426.thumb.JPG.7df505039587849e4f60eed789b6fd28.JPG

Progress so far, with the loading hopper and crusher put together. It needs refining and then painting. This is the last of the major structures to be built for the layout.

• Like 8