Severe Japan Post SAL/EMS/ePacket suspensions due to COVID-19 + Russia's invasion in Ukraine! -> (Updated March 8 2022)

Yavianice

It sounds like they are just overwhelmed the last few days here with all this and trying to sort out a lot of returns here and perhaps short staffed to boot and trying to do worker separation. Also sounds like many of the returned packages are at the local post so they may not be able to determine what packages have been returned. I’m not sure if they know the disposition of many packages right now. Patience it’s not a great time to try to order stuff.

jeff

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not ordering anything else from overseas until sanity returns. Problem is, pre-orders don't have a "wait" button, and I couldn't cancel this one (HS stated that on the reservation page).

I am trying to help keep the mail order businesses here going with orders for project parts and scenic materials, as our postal service is still coping well. Have a 50cm long chunk of Bernina Bahn avalanche gallery in 1:150 at the 3D print arches/foam-and-filler rocks stage at the moment, and assorted OO wagon kits have been passing across my cutting mat.

41 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

It sounds like they are just overwhelmed the last few days here with all this and trying to sort out a lot of returns here and perhaps short staffed to boot and trying to do worker separation. Also sounds like many of the returned packages are at the local post so they may not be able to determine what packages have been returned. I’m not sure if they know the disposition of many packages right now. Patience it’s not a great time to try to order stuff.

jeff

Golden Week is looming too. Hobby Search will be closed April 29, May 4, 5, and 6 in addition to the their regular days.

deathletter
22 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Patience it’s not a great time to try to order stuff.....

jeff

You are telling me! What I have on order is going to cost me dearly using DHL or Fedex..... Those are apparently the only options I have left.🙄

Just so you know the impact of suspended flights this  is JAL for May 1-May 31. Only 6% of flights scheduled remain. Any form of airmail is not a viable option.

Flights remaining of those scheduled.

Americas (May 1 - May 31)           28 of 806

Europe (May 1-May 31)                  38 of 434

Southeast Asia (May 1 - May 31)  98 of 1116

Oceania (May 1 - May 31)                0 of 124

East Asia (May 1 - May 31)           104 of 1860

Hawaii / Guam (May 1 - May 31)     0 of 496

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2020/04/14/japan-airlines-outlines-international-flying-schedule-for-may/

https://press.jal.co.jp/en/items/uploads/ecad2666f9c79b862324b565a2a12b2158cc5232.pdf

• Like 1
ranger10178

Looks like I'm fortunate, as my HS package left Japan 2 hours ago according to the JP tracking site! - Though apparently the Europe flights listed above are all Tokyo Haneda - London Heathrow, so perhaps that's why I'm in luck!

On 4/23/2020 at 4:08 AM, disturbman said:

I tried once, the insane shipping costs was not recalculated and I was charged for the original estimate. I never tried again.

yeah I have had a few trains from Amazon (not a 3rd party seller) that had shipping costs like that when others were like 1700 yen or 2200 yen for the same size train box.   When I went to other sellers and looked at overall delivered cost (item + shipping) the Amazon was still the better deal in terms of total cost (most other places don't have as cheap as Amazon's normal shipping except for maybe SAL or similar -- their Fedex/UPS/DHL/EMS is typically no better than and often more expensive than the normal, non 4900 yen inflated, Amazon shipping).  I've never had it recalculated (which was once my hope too).  

I suspect that bogus packaging info is put into their system for that item (either dimensions or weight) so when they calculate the shipping they have bad info.  When you have two basically identical train sets and one ships for like 1700 yen and one for 4900 yen, and it is all calculated by the system automatically, that is the most likely explanation.

I complained to them once about it but their drone who answers complaints basically found a pre-written answer that was a non-answer and I let it drop.

I’ve gotten weird shipping for many different things on amazon.jp. I’ve bought a number of kids stuff for friends and relative’s kids and different things can be similar size and weight bit 2x shipping on one, all from amazon not other sellers. Train stuff has been very consistent though. Hlj’s shipping calculator can be strange as well depending on the permutation you put in. Shipping is calculation is not fun, many if it’s Tuesday things, but amazon should have all the power to do it right if they have the right info entered.

jeff

deathletter

Well, I was finally able to chat with a buyee customer service representative and I got some good news. This is part of the email message that I received:

"we have locked the following packages temporarily to keep the storage from running"

Hopefully they will do this until Japan Post starts allowing EMS shipments. 🙃

maihama eki

I now have 7 different orders with HS that are stalled out - going back to mid-March - mostly pre-order items.  I ordered a couple of additional items that I wanted during the period where they said EMS was allowed.  Those of course also never made it out.  The last thing I received shipped on March 3.  This is of course not the fault of HS.

I think it could be a long time - maybe months - before these items depart Japan.

HS could ship my returned package by surface which could take 2–6 months.  I think I want to hang on and see if they ever ink a deal with DHS.  Japan Post might even be able to fly out SAL before 6 months are done.

Manadarake has done wonders.  I checked in on the SAL package that returned to them, and they offered to ship it DHL and cover the extra cost!

maihama eki

I wonder if HS is working on alternatives other than surface.  They have to be buried in packages, and the pile grows every day.  I have pre-order items arriving every month through October.  They haven't stopped taking orders from overseas.

At last update from them, they are hoping to work out a deal with DHL.  DHL has their hands quite full working with established customers.  Strategic planning does not appear to be their strong suit.

I just received an EMS package that made it from Japan in 4 weeks rather than the usual 1-2. For some reason the US Postal Service forgot to send me notifications by text... except the delivery notice itself. It’s unusual, but I’m not complaining. 

• Like 1

Amazing,.. I just got a message on my phone from DHL that my Ami parcel is here! Paid on Sunday, processed and arrived on Wednesday... I would say DHL certainly is GOOD! (and this time it only costs about 300 yen more from the usual SAL) 

• Like 1

I'm not so sure about DHL. Fast yes, secure absolutely not.  I had a train disappear yesterday. Supposedly it was delivered at 430pm. Even though I signed up for alerts I  did not get an alert until 6.00pm. It seems DHL abandoned my parcel at the front door of a condo building  with "Front Porch" delivery checked off on the proof of delivery. I've advised AmiAmi and filed a claim with DHL. I have another parcel coming tomorrow and I will arrange to pick it up at the depot.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, bill937ca said:

I'm not so sure about DHL. Fast yes, secure absolutely not.  I had a train disappear yesterday. Supposedly it was delivered at 430pm. Even though I signed up for alerts I  did not get an alert until 6.00pm. It seems DHL abandoned my parcel at the front door of a condo building  with "Front Porch" delivery checked off on the proof of delivery. I've advised AmiAmi and filed a claim with DHL. I have another parcel coming tomorrow and I will arrange to pick it up at the depot.

While I've not had a problem myself with DHL, those problems I am sure exist.  With every carrier.  Being delivered to the wrong house, claims of delivery when I am sitting here waiting for their knock, etc.   Hope you get it cleared up.  With your DHL delivery, did you give them permission to release on the porch?  They make you "sign" an online form to release it like that.

1 hour ago, chadbag said:

While I've not had a problem myself with DHL, those problems I am sure exist.  With every carrier.  Being delivered to the wrong house, claims of delivery when I am sitting here waiting for their knock, etc.   Hope you get it cleared up.  With your DHL delivery, did you give them permission to release on the porch?  They make you "sign" an online form to release it like that.

No I did not sign that form.

roadstar_na6

Anyone having experience with FedEx? ZenMarket has it as an option and reasonable pricing and claims it‘ll be delivered in 2-4 days.

FedEx has been delivering fine here to Boston, including my last ZenMarket that bounced back to them, and then I had re-ship FedEx.

• Like 1

Just got an email from ZenMarket, they are increasing to 120 days free storage for all worldwide customers.

This is handy for making small purchases that can wait until there is a FedEx worthy pile to ship.

On 4/29/2020 at 9:39 AM, bill937ca said:

I got a call from DHL today My parcel was at the depot. Went right up there this afternoon and picked it up. DHL said there was no phone number on the parcel but my phone number is  on the AmiAmi invoice.  And why did DHL call it a Front Porch delivery and not leave me a tag when DHL had it all the time.  Th other parcel has not arrived yet at the depot. Maybe by tonight.

EDIT: I just notified AmiAmi and my phone is on the shipping label and I am on the building directory. 

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

That’s good to hear! But crappy delivery system. They are authorized as the customs agent to open the packing slip and one copy is actually for them I think as the customs agent.

they have been fine delivering here, but it’s a house with a clear front door and many times it’s the same chap so it’s routine and he doesn’t even jump at the barking dog Inside!

jeff

• Like 1