Severe Japan Post SAL/EMS/ePacket suspensions due to COVID-19 + Russia's invasion in Ukraine! -> (Updated March 8 2022)

Yavianice

roadstar_na6
6 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

Source?

Source

EDIT: Checking it again it seems to only be for sending documents. Who on earth would send 31.5kg of documents around the world for 200€?

Edited by roadstar_na6

Same source I used, as I suspected it’s only for documents, packages take 10-15 days like I mentioned. Unless you have money to burn and ship it via DHL Express in the DHL global network and pre-clear the items.

Edited by Yavianice
roadstar_na6

New record for an Air Small Parcel; dispatched from AmiAmi Sunday 8pm and delivered in Germany today at 11am 😎

• Like 1

Good for someone buying magazines. But not so good for buying a single magazine.  This would also make pre-ordered train sets more expensive depending on shipping arrangement at a particular dealer.  Add small items to take advantage of the volume.

I noted that thing in one simulation that I did on Amazon Japan for cds, the shipping cost before Covid was in my case 1500 yen as initial price and 400 yen for additional item, now the shipping cost in Amazon Japan is equal to another Amazon websites, shipping cost by volume, not for item. Cds are a small item just like magazines and with 6 cds the shipping cost to my country was 2000 yens or 1900 yens approximately. I used Zenmarket recently for cds (my first package is on the way to Chile, 5 cds) and I have more cds to ship but I don't know the definitve size of a box only for 8 cds or more in Zenmarket, only the weight of any cd I buyed.

Edited by fpav_2125

Yeah I always figured it was a weight & volume calculation. Don’t know if that’s just their contract or the usual. I guess with packages like this weight is the limiting factor as the density is such the plane could fly packed to the gills with usual package density. Makes sense as they usually fill the entire space with cargo containers.

also may be the way to get caskets as they usually add up fast in shipping on sal or ems, going to have to try that,

jeff

I apologize if this in in the wrong topic area. I did a search of the forum and did not get any results. Maybe I am not searching properly?

I know that Seamail takes 30 to 60 to 90 days to arrive (depending on whom you ask) once it has been shipped. I am concerned about the contents of the package being damaged on such a long / slow trip. I know that some people here in the forum have had Seamail deliveries. Any issues with package damage that you would be willing to share with myself and other forum members? Thanks for any advice given. 😊

Cheers! 

roadstar_na6

I got a few bigger car parts trough sea mail and never had any issues. 🙂 I reckon a plane would cause more damage while flying than a ship would while driving.

• Like 1

Cat has been doing the resurrected sea mail option here during covid so they can speak to this. Last one I did was like 14 years ago and went fine. Took two and a half months.

they just go in a container so I doubt a lot of issues during the voyage except if they get on the bottom, but I expect they are in some sort of smaller inner containers and not a 40’ container packed full of individual packages. don’t know what the local delivery is on the receiving end as far as speed and damage. Usually SAL here in the us is delivered like priority mail and EMS is delivered like express mail (many times dropped off before regular mail). 

jeff

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies. I had 20 purchases combined into one shipment and sent using seamail. My fingers, toes and anything else that I can cross, are crossed..... 😵

Edit:

Well, that didn't take long. The crossing of fingers and everything else didn't work. The package is too large so my only option is DHL. It is going to cost more than $200.00 extra for the upgraded shipping. Needless to say that I am furious. 🤬

Edited by deathletter

Bad news from Hobby Search.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/infodetails

2020/09/11    For shipment by EMS and Airmail to some countries, Japan Post has posted update of considerable delays as of 11th September.
Dispatch of packages to affected countries are currently delayed due to the shortage of loading space caused by the reduction of flights.

[Affected Shipping methods]
-EMS
-Air Parcel
-Registered Air

[Expected delay]
-2 to 3 weeks

[Countries where delay is expected]
-Canada
-Philippine
-New Zealand
-Korea

For more detail, please visit Japan Post website below.

[Japan Post website: overview]
https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/overview_en.html

If you wish to minimize possibility of your orders being delayed, DHL can be one of the options for you.
If you need to change shipping method of previously placed order, please check below website for the detail.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

Yeah, I placed an order late July that took 2-3 weeks by EMS to Canada. I'd never ordered EMS before, and speed isn't my main concern, but it was pretty much the only option at the time for the size of package I ordered. Still a bummer for the premium paid for the service, but such is the time we are in.

I just had an order ship via Registered Air, so we'll see how it goes. It was much cheaper than the EMS and DHL options, and I'm not overly bothered by having to wait a few weeks (I would normally go with SAL anyway).

I suppose we're lucky to have EMS and Registered Air etc. as options at all right now, and as long as it arrives eventually, I can cope.

While there seem to be lots of stories of delays I can report one super quick delivery from RG-Rokko.  Ordered a Kato 8620 (too many steam locos is never enough) on Friday morning, dispatched the same morning in Kobe and delivered by DHL this morning, Monday, to my home in Sydney, Australia!

Shipping from Japan to Australia (Perth) with DHL has been fantastic for me. Most items from both Hobby Search and Plaza Japan are arriving within 7 days with the occasional hold either in Singapore or Hong Kong. Tracking is excellent too compared to any regular post/EMS. AusPost is well known for not giving a crap about scanning parcels or giving updates on delivery times or anything.

I even had 2 parcels delivered on a Sunday which is unheard of here. I think its worth the extra cost.

I have been getting super quick - three to four days - service from Japan to North Carolina in the USA via DHL but it is pricey.  Normally I do not order too much so the shipping cost for an occasional splurge is not that big a deal.  I did do two orders in recent succession which was a bit of a mistake as I ended up with extra shipping expense but it was my treat for the year so I am okay with it.

It will be nice when (if) things return to normal.  However, I have been checking flight schedules lately - more in hope than in any realistic expectation of travel - and commercial flights are not coming back right now.  So shippers with their own planes (DHL, Fed Ex, et al) are probably going to be the best option for the foreseeable future.

Tony Galiani

Actually on medium and up orders DHL is now As cheap or cheaper than EMS and especially so for heavy stuff like books as it’s by volume not weight like EMS. Small orders of course hurt with a $5 Sal package being $19-22 with DHL minimums.

jeff

Anyone has an update on mailing situation from Japan, especially to Europe? I'm interested in ordering some stuff but I'm really not willing to pay courier premiums.

Cheers Nicholas

To Europe? Germany is fine. I think only SAL is suspended at the moment, all cheaper other air (and surface) possibilities are still available. But I think the situation is different from country to country.

2 minutes ago, disturbman said:

To Europe? Germany is fine. I think only SAL is suspended at the moment, all cheaper other air (and surface) possibilities are still available. But I think the situation is different from country to country.

Thanks. I'm thinking about Italy.

Cheers Nicholas