Severe Japan Post SAL/EMS/ePacket suspensions due to COVID-19 + Russia's invasion in Ukraine! -> (Updated March 8 2022)

Yavianice

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 2:40 PM, ranger10178 said:

I'm guessing I'll be waiting quite some time for my two orders from Plaza Japan - as they ship using SAL...

my order from them back in march was  shipped then disappeared  for the second time 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ranger10178 said:

That's frustrating... This is the problem with having no tracking on the economy postage option...

EPacket does have a tracking option?

ranger10178
4 hours ago, Yavianice said:

EPacket does have a tracking option?

Well Plaza Japan don't give you the reference... I've no idea what shipping method they use, except that it'll be pretty much the cheapest.

I'm thinking it might be airmail. I had orders shipped March 24 and March 28 and they haven't come back to Plaza Japan.

DVD website CDJapan that I came across lists the available shipping options as DHL, FedEx Priority, EMS, Registered Airmail, and Airmail. Not available includes FedEx Priority(Pak), FedEx Economic, Registered SAL Small Packet (Economy), SAL Small Packet (Economy), SAL Parcel Post (Economy).

Yavaris Forge

I ordered a bunch of stuff at Buyee and the package got sent a few days ago. Japan Post tracking said it should be in German customs by now so I'm looking forward for it to arrive in 3-4 Weeks ':). So the main problem in Germany is mostly the national post service, which is highly overloaded, and not gettiing stuff in. 

Edited by Yavaris Forge
  • Like 1
roadstar_na6

Germany‘s post service is slow af with stuff in customs no matter what happens in the world. Stuff from Japan is there in 2-3 days usually and then stuff is in customs for 2-3 weeks. Hence why I always safe myself a lot of money by just shipping my with small Airmail parcels since it doesn‘t matter if I use that or EMS 😄

• Like 2
ranger10178

British Customs is usually really fast with stuff from China and Europe, but stuff from anywhere else takes ages...

roadstar_na6

yay the final Airmail parcel arrived in Germany now, after leaving Japans outward office on April 3rd 😮

Next up: 2-4 week wait for it to clear customs

The issue is not the post, but the German customs at Frankfurt. In my experience, packages that do not look like professionally packaged pass through faster and will not require any Nachzahlung. I think packages go through a pre-clearance for inspection or not. I had a few train sets that whose bookcases were simply wrapped in paper that arrived extremely fast and free of charge. But that was before the post instated the 6€ charge.

if you want your packages fast, use Amazon. Pre-custom clearance means orders only take a few days. They also pass through Leipzig DHL center which is less clogged than Frankfurt.

I've recently ordered a Tomix loco from Banzaihobby.com, I selected air small packet as shipping, as this was one of the options they stated was still in use due to Covid-19. It's my first time ordering anything from a site like this, and apart from eBay and Amazon, I have always used local or National UK stores. 

I'm not sure what to expect, but I have a lot of items sat in my wishlist ready to order if this first one is a success.

I also note that I haven't received a tracking number which they said they provide following shipping, but looking at another post of here someone I'm sure someone mentioned they aren't very forthcoming with these, but provide them if you contact them.

It sounds like they did not limit their website to EMS only. Small packets and epacket lite and Sal are all suspended right now. What will probably happen is they will sit at banzai until the restrictions are lifted and it can be shipped by your selected methods. Just an unfortunate time to order here. Good news is most all Japanese hobby shops that do export are very good at service. Drop them a note to ask, pretty sure they will say it’s sitting here until your shipping is available. Could see about switching the order to EMS if you want it sooner and are willing to pay the extra, otherwise it’s patience.

jeff

As a note I am seeing on Facebook that more and more Japanese hobby shops are closing due to the lockdown.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

It sounds like they did not limit their website to EMS only. Small packets and epacket and Sal are all suspended right now. What will probably happen is they will sit at banzai until the restrictions are lifted and it can be shipped by your selected methods. Just an unfortunate time to order here. Good news is most all Japanese hobby shops that do export are very good at service. Drop them a note to ask, pretty sure they will say it’s sitting here until your shipping is available. Could see about switching the order to EMS if you want it sooner and are willing to pay the extra, otherwise it’s patience.

jeff

Since when is ePacket suspended?

My HS order got returned to sender on the 15th. I wonder if I should just take the hit and ask them if they can ship it EMS with my April order which would probably need to be EMS anyway. 

54 minutes ago, nah00 said:

My HS order got returned to sender on the 15th. I wonder if I should just take the hit and ask them if they can ship it EMS with my April order which would probably need to be EMS anyway. 

Doesnt ems have rhe same issue?

As I understand it EMS is moving, just more slowly due to the increased load?

Hopefully those smaller stores closing will survive to reopen after the all clear is given. I know I'm planning to buy a few more items in person at my local indy model shops when restrictions are lifted, they'll need the cashflow more than ever (as they don't have an Internet presence).

An EMS package heading our way that failed to catch a flight before Japan Post stopped shipping to the US was returned to Hobby Search.

10 hours ago, JR-Rail said:

I also note that I haven't received a tracking number which they said they provide following shipping, but looking at another post of here someone I'm sure someone mentioned they aren't very forthcoming with these, but provide them if you contact them.

I buy a lot from banzai, they do send tracking numbers, but it's always around 3 days after you place the order.

• Like 1

that’s what japan post has on their website from April 9 that it can take a couple of weeks to get EMS onto a place due to reduced flights. Still not showing USA on EMS suspension list. Perhaps Sal items accepted just before the suspension of Sal that were waiting for a plane are now being returned to sender instead of held for shipping later and only EMS going on planes.

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2020/0409_03_en.html

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2020/0409_01_en.html

but with cat’s package it sounds like maybe they are so backlogged they are just not going to ship EMS now if being returned. Nothing on japan post English site about this though.

Jeff

I had two EMS packages on their way, one from HS and one from Jauce. Both have been returned to sender.

Cheers,

Mark.

1 hour ago, Morcs said:

I buy a lot from banzai, they do send tracking numbers, but it's always around 3 days after you place the order.

Thanks I based my order on positive reviews from this forum and a couple of people who used to shop local with me.

I'm guessing that I haven't received a shipping number as my item is still sat with BH in their store, as per Jeff's advice above.

Just an update... all 4 parcels are being sent back to the sellers.... and they have offered to hold the items till flights resumed.... though they probably would need to ship it for free then since I already paid for 3 parcel shipping fees.... 

Only Mandarake offered the option of a refund, or to hold onto the parcel till flights resumed... 

Checked an order from hobbysearch from last week EMS is on hold, they didn’t even try to send it out.

jeff