Severe Japan Post SAL/EMS/ePacket suspensions due to COVID-19 + Russia's invasion in Ukraine! -> (Updated March 8 2022)

Yavianice

19 minutes ago, Nick_Burman said:

Thanks. I'm thinking about Italy.

Cheers Nicholas

Italy?

Well, SAL has resumed shipping to Italy this summer, so, you could say things are back to normal.

(including the Dogana custom fees roulette)

Edited by Socimi
  • Thanks 1

Ooh!  Was just checking the latest shipping update at CDJapan and spotted this good news:

Update Oct. 8, 2020 : Japan Post to Resume Shipping with Non-Registered Airmail to the U.S.

Japan Post announced that they will resume shipping with Non-Registered Airmail as well as printed matters up to 5kg by Airmail from Oct. 9, 2020.

Note that there still may be some delays due to COVID 19 related issues.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

@Cat Unless your trains fit in an envelope, this will not matter, since Airmail only includes Letters according to Japan Post. https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2020/1008_01_en.html

From that link for the US

"Among Air items, only some ordinary letter-post items such as Printed Matter, Special Mailbags for Printed Matter and Small Packets are accepted from October 9, 2020."

It says "Small Packets" are accepted starting October 9

@chadbag

Yes, but if you look closely at the table, you see that ePacket, SAL, EMS is still a no-go. I think with "small packets" they mean "letter box sized packages" i.e. no thicker than 3 cm. 

At least, that's how I understand it. Aren't the usual packages for train cases usually shipped as ePacket, SAL, or EMS? I don't recall receiving a package not having any of these services. 

Edited by Yavianice
2 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

@chadbag

Yes, but if you look closely at the table, you see that ePacket, SAL, EMS is still a no-go. I think with "small packets" they mean "letter box sized packages" i.e. no thicker than 3 cm. 

At least, that's how I understand it. Aren't the usual packages for train cases usually shipped as ePacket, SAL, or EMS? I don't recall receiving a package not having any of these services. 

I've had stuff shipped "small packet" before from Japan form some eBay sellers.   Some were more than 3 cm.  I think it is weight based but have not researched it.  I suspect it is similar to "Päckchen" in Germany (or what used to be -- don't know if they still have that), which was weight based, not size based IIRC.

Just now, chadbag said:

I suspect it is similar to "Päckchen" in Germany (or what used to be -- don't know if they still have that), which was weight based, not size based IIRC.

Päckchen is still a thing in Germany. However the usual UPU size restrictions apply (L*W*H no more than 90 cm) and 2kg maximum. But it also has a reduced rate for "letterbox sized" packages.

I dunno. Perhaps I can ask a retailer in Japan if he can ask the details. 

• Like 1

Ok, I asked RG-R what his take is on this issue, and he believes that Small Packet by Air is possible for the following rates for the U.S.A.

image.thumb.png.f77a7f6777ad4732dd38aef6c06b9f9b.png

(Picture courtesy of RG-R)

• Like 2

HLJ just posted shipping details:

Air Small Packet can be used to ship packages that are up to 2KG, and have combined measurements of up to 90cm.

• Like 1

Didn't realise it had started again for Australia.

Weird though since 2x daily flights to two major capitals just started again. And another 2x more in December.

But they might just have a huge backlog headed my way.

• Yavianice changed the title to Severe Japan Post SAL/EMS/ePacket suspensions due to COVID-19 + Russia's invasion in Ukraine! -> (Updated March 8 2022)
6 hours ago, katoftw said:

That's a weird one. Is the Ukraine situation effecting all of Europe's airspace/s?

The direct route over Russia is no longer available to European airlines, and Japanese ones have (AFAIK) voluntarily decided to avoid Russian airspace as well, so all flights are going the long way round, either via China/India then wriggling back up into Europe avoiding all the icky airspace, or the other way via Alaska.

• Thanks 1

@Wolf Because DHL and Fedex operate with their own planes, those planes take the cold war or India route. DHL to Europe also usually goes via Hong Kong-UAE-Europe and is thus not affected by these tensions.

@katoftw Because of the rerouting of flights to-from japan and europe over the cold war route (anchorage) or China/India etc., it takes longer to fly these routes. Which means that it becomes more expensive to fly/more kerosene is needed for the same flight. For this reason, airlines will either charge more for postal services to hitch a ride or just not allow them because it wouldn't be cost efficient or there is not enough fuel capacity to fly flights with extra non-passenger related cargo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mandarake has posted EMS is back for the following countries:

India, Canada, Finland, Brazil, Cuba, Chile, Peru, Romania

Just changed my HS Tomytec Prague T3 order to EMS shipping!

Japan Post list is here:

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2022/1101_01_en.html?fbclid=IwAR1aES9jjLZ2Qh667ohaLeKUYqpNLD6NaDwLleQdP20wvK3OWI9bSWhkH2Y

Edited by bill937ca