Severe Japan Post SAL/EMS/ePacket suspensions due to COVID-19 + Russia's invasion in Ukraine! -> (Updated March 8 2022)

Yavianice

DHL seems to be flying over fast. i had an amazon.jp order that was delayed getting stock and shipped last week and like 2 days to get here and clear customs. now warning slowed delivery from post customs in Cincinnati may take 3-4 days to get the final jump here within the us.

jeff

DHL would still have their planes up in the air moving stuff around.  Where JP services went on passenger services.

Any shipping company that owned their own planes would be controlling shipping market currently.

maihama eki

I had an order from Amazon.jp delivered by DHL that was here before I knew it.  Ordered on 3/31 and arrived on 4/2.

Yeah I don’t think DHL is doing much of their own air freight in the us, they went out of our domestic market a long time ago, but that’s just a guess. They must be using some fast service in the us though as DHL seems the fastest service From japan so it’s getting the last step fast here and the bit currently running slower than usual.

jeff

Regarding shipping, airlines have been removing seats from passenger aircrafts or leasing airplanes to cargo operators to move more cargo. For example, Lufthansa has temporarily converted 3 A330. Others have done it too to replace the loss of belly freight space.

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/substituting-cargo-for-passengers-becomes-mainstream-business-for-airlines

• Like 2
2 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Yeah I don’t think DHL is doing much of their own air freight in the us, they went out of our domestic market a long time ago, but that’s just a guess. They must be using some fast service in the us though as DHL seems the fastest service From japan so it’s getting the last step fast here and the bit currently running slower than usual.

DHL has some kind of tie-up with Kalitta Air for trans-Pacific freight.

10 hours ago, cteno4 said:

DHL runs their own planes, and I would suspect some of those are in the US (as I've seen the big yellow planes at airports in the not distant future).  According to their corp website

"DHL runs a fleet of more than 250 aircraft, operating 714 scheduled flights every day. Another 2,335 flights daily are operated for DHL by commercial aircraft."

7 hours ago, railsquid said:

DHL has some kind of tie-up with Kalitta Air for trans-Pacific freight.

yeah the wikipedia on them claims they have 4x  747 and a 767 operating for DHL Aviation

With direct flights from Tokyo to Boston, DHL arrives in a flash.

I have a ZenMarket package that they sent out SAL on 31 March that just came back to them, it didn't manage to catch a flight in time.  From their menu of choices that are working, I just went with re-send via DHL.  ZM is also discounting shipping options 10% now so they can encourage moving goods.

roadstar_na6
1 hour ago, Cat said:

ZM is also discounting shipping options 10% now so they can encourage moving goods

Huh? Since when is that? 😄 did they sent out a mail regarding that?

2 hours ago, chadbag said:

DHL runs their own planes, and I would suspect some of those are in the US (as I've seen the big yellow planes at airports in the not distant future).  According to their corp website

yes I’ve seen the DHL planes in large us airports and my supposition is those are mainly international flights to bring cargo into the us. They have a hub in Cincinnati that all my amazon packages look to come to from Tokyo then clears customs and quickly hops to dc (I don’t know if those domestic flights are DHL flights or contracted with other carriers) within a few hours. It’s once it was handed off to the dc carrier that the delay happened on the package late last week.

in reading some on DHL of recent it looks like they are slowly creeping back into the us domestic market by using a wide range of distribution partners and contractors (read amazon/uber like contractors and gig workers not ups like employees) to do more delivery. Here in dc they have always had DHL vans for delivery, but figured that was was due to dc metro area probably having a lot international shipping. After they last pulled out of the us domestic market they partnered with ups then USPS for a lot of their us deliveries.

I always wondered how they got around domestic flights after being bought by Deutsche Post and buying airborne (loved them when I use to have to do a lot of overnight shipping, inexpensive and great service in 90s and early 2000s).

jeff

1 hour ago, roadstar_na6 said:

Huh? Since when is that? 😄 did they sent out a mail regarding that?

That was in the message they sent regarding the parcel returned to them:

"Please see our shipping simulator (https://zenmarket.jp/calc.aspx) to check available shipping methods and consider the following options:
1. Re-ship your parcel via UPS, DHL, FedEx or SF Express.
We start 10% discount for all courier services from April 14 to make this easier for you.
*Please note that:
- certain items like food, skin care and some other items cannot be shipped with courier services.
- parcels shipped by courier services undergo stricter customs check than those shipped by postal servises
2. Re-ship your parcel with surface mail. For some destinations EMS and/or Airmail also can be used.
3. Pay for your parcels now and store them at the warehouse until the chosen shipping method is available again.
You can do the necessary adjustments from your Parcels tab (https://zenmarket.jp/profile/parcel.aspx)."

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

yes I’ve seen the DHL planes in large us airports and my supposition is those are mainly international flights to bring cargo into the us. They have a hub in Cincinnati that all my amazon packages look to come to from Tokyo then clears customs and quickly hops to dc (I don’t know if those domestic flights are DHL flights or contracted with other carriers) within a few hours. It’s once it was handed off to the dc carrier that the delay happened on the package late last week.

yeah my Amazon JP stuff goes through Cincinnati as well.   After reading about Kalitta Air and what Squid said I suspect that Kalitta Air flies for them one of the dedicated DHL planes from Japan to Cincinnati and then it is dispersed from there.   While they  have their own planes, Delta runs a hub in both Cincinnati and SLC and so it would make sense for them to carry DHL to the local DHL office.  The DHL guy always comes in a DHL marked truck, but may be a contractor type similar to Amazon (which is now coming in an Amazon marked van instead of the personal cars you used to see).     I would expect them to only have enough traffic for larger US markets to run their own and the rest is carried by other carriers).

(On a completely different topic (only related at the highest level) -- Fedex Ground are also all contract delivery and they own their own trucks, routes, etc.  As opposed to the Fedex Express guys who are unionized employees similar to UPS)

I just hope they figure it out soon. 

I seem to have made the worst choice with EMS shipping. It’s expensive and it’s not going anywhere after a week. 

On 4/14/2020 at 12:09 PM, Sheffie said:

I seem to have made the worst choice with EMS shipping. It’s expensive and it’s not going anywhere after a week. 

My EMS from HS sat for 2 weeks and now told it's being returned to HS

I have been waiting for a package from Nariichi it was Dispatch from outward office of exchange on March 15th, and still hasn't made it to the Us. Or maybe its at the US customs?

Edited by Sascha
Wrong date
3 minutes ago, Sascha said:

I have been waiting for a package from Nariichi it was Dispatch from outward office of exchange on April 15th, and still hasn't made it to the Us. Or maybe its at the US customs?

Do you mean the 15th of March...? Today is the 15th of April...

• Haha 1
On 4/14/2020 at 1:09 AM, Sheffie said:

I'm the same @Sheffie just had an email from HS to say they will prepare it for shipping but it wont be going anywhere until the restrictions are lifted

So an order i had with amazon.jp a couple of weeks back had a sankei kit in it that said it was going to ship with the other stuff when i ordered it but then ended up getting shipped separately (guess inventory problem). they shipped it separately for just the increased shipping cost it had when i added it to the larger order that already arrived (about $2). so it was sent out alone in a big box (luckily not in just a simple padded envelope) and was here i think the fastest ive ever had a dhl get here little under 2 days! so amazon.jp's tokyo hub and dhl are going back very fast again!

jeff

• Like 1
roadstar_na6

Now only one of my parcels has not yet arrived in Germany. It was dispatched April 3rd. The one dispatched April 1st arrived at the inward office yesterday so I have hope the final one is also due to arrive soon

• Like 1