End of passenger service between Melbourne and Adelaide

ben_issacs

Today, March 31st., saw the end of the 'Overland' service which ran between Melbourne and Adelaide. This service started up in the late 19th. century as the 'Inter- Colonial Express', and for many years was the only direct service between any two Colonial (later) State Capitals.  It was not until 1932 that NSW pushed the standard gauge up to Queensland's capital, Brisbane.  Since then, all the mainland capital cities are standard gauge connected.

The 'Overland' ran only once a week, and relied on subsidies from the Victorian and South Aus State Govts. to keep going. These subsidies have now run out. With all the money that is being expended on fighting Corona, it's unlikely that any will be available for a resumption of the 'Overland'

Bill

Melbourne

Victoria doesn't wanna pay for South Australian pensioners to travel to Melbourne. So far enough I say.

Shame to see this service cease. But if ridership is low, the taxpayer shouldn't continue to top up the running costs.

WELL, that took me by surprise, (somehow)

That's a real shame! But as @katoftw said, no point if ridership is low to have govt paying for it.

Thank you for sharing Bill.

Don't know how the State subsidies were allocated, either half-and-half,  equal Vic. and SA, or by mileage, the greater mileage was in Victoria.

The 'Overland' provided a service to western Victoria, which wil be missed, possible replacement by a V-Line 'Velo' DMU set.

Bill

Melbourne

I travelled on the Overland from Adelaide to Melbourne back in 1979 on a holiday pass. I was on my way home from the Adelaide tramway centenary celebrations. In those days it was a very posh and proper train ride that I thoroughly enjoyed, ensconced in the luxury of a VR/SAR joint stock sleeping car.

Many years later I frightened a carriage full of Overland passengers by walking through their car only wearing a towel.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Haha 2
Martijn Meerts

Guess it depends where you were wearing the towel. For example, people with long hair usually wrap it in a towel to dry after washing it ....

Argh Martijn! The image you put in my head of mark sashaying down the isle with just a towel wrapped around his head. Evil visual worm planted...

jeff

• Haha 1

The name 'Intercolonial Express' would not have been appropriate after the federation of the colonies into states in 1900. Don't know what name was used  after that time, the 'Overland' name I think might have come into use  in the early twenties, with the introduction of the big twelve wheeled joint stock  cars in their green livery.

“wearing” usually refers to an item of clothing, is a towel wrapped around one's head to dry one's hair an item of clothing, or just a towel?

Bill

Melbourne