Chihiro Horikawa

Tony Galiani

Best of luck tony! New lenses clear and corrected make a huge difference and super routine these days. My grandfather got one eye done at 98 and kept him reading until 103! My dad got both eyes at about 80 and no more reading glasses! Both went super smooth. I was shocked how fast both were in and out of surgery and on the way home!

jeff

Now cataract surgery is much more quicker and much less daunting than what it used to be. What the opthalmologist is going to do is make a little hole in the cornea and breakup the cloudy lens using an ultrasonic wave. Once its broken, it's going to be sucked out by a vacuum and and an implant will take its place. 

Quick recovery with local anesthesia. Nothing to worry about

• Like 1
Tony Galiani

Thanks.  Appreciate the additional info.

My biggest concerns now are not so much the surgery but the potential for delay.  Our University Health System tests everyone for Covid-19 before any surgery.  I know someone who had no symptoms but apparently had Covid-19 so their surgery was delayed for a quarantine period.  I had initially put off the surgery due to musical, travel and work commitments - then all of a sudden there was no travel, no music performances and I am working from home.  So I have been waiting some time for this - anxious to have it done and hoping my pre-test is negative!  I have been staying home - except for today when I had to be on Campus - but we have a masks on Campus policy so I feel reasonably safe.   After today, home until my surgery later this week!

Tony

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tony Galiani said:

Thanks.  Appreciate the additional info.

My biggest concerns now are not so much the surgery but the potential for delay.  Our University Health System tests everyone for Covid-19 before any surgery.  I know someone who had no symptoms but apparently had Covid-19 so their surgery was delayed for a quarantine period.  I had initially put off the surgery due to musical, travel and work commitments - then all of a sudden there was no travel, no music performances and I am working from home.  So I have been waiting some time for this - anxious to have it done and hoping my pre-test is negative!  I have been staying home - except for today when I had to be on Campus - but we have a masks on Campus policy so I feel reasonably safe.   After today, home until my surgery later this week!

Tony

Hopefully you are. Since any surgery with COVID patients pose a huge risk to the surgeons in attendance. And Surgeons aren't really as disposable as GPs. But not to worry, I hope the test isn't positive. From where I'm working those tested await their results with anxiousness and depression, much like a lab tech I once knew who pricked himself with a HIV tainted lancet by accident. He hammered the entire finger until it's all white and awaited his absolute test results (Which took months) and had combatted an entire array of psychiatric disorders before having negative results. 

So I can quite understand why you might be concerned about the results of the COVID rapid test for your surgery, and I hope your pretest is negative. Although you may be worried that the test may come as positive, you could also take comfort with the fact that there is (and maybe a higher possibility) of you being negative of COVID-19. 

• Like 1

Just a quick update - I had submitted an article on the layout to Continental Modeller and it has been accepted for publication.  It will appear in the October 2020 issue.  I am pleased about this and it makes the third article I have had in the magazine.  My wife took the pictures for the article and they are of much better quality than the iPhone snaps I have been using on this thread!

Cheers,

Tony Galiani

• Like 3

According to the editor, September 17th is the publishing date.  I have seen the final layout of the article and the pictures but it takes a while for my subscription copies to arrive in the USA.  I haven't received my September copy yet and that was published mid-August.  Something to look forward to.

Cheers,

Tony Galiani

Tony Galiani

Renovation Plan - Suggestions Welcomed!

I have long admired Mark's photo plank as well as some of the other layouts that have been presented on the forum and want to revise the layout to make it work a bit better for photos.  Also, the design turns out not to work all that well - the sidings in the fiddle yard are too short for any freight cars or PW equipment - I just used the track odds and ends I had on hand and really didn't think about siding lengths and how they would work.

I like the canal set up and the view looking towards the bridge.  Don't like the fiddle yard area so much and the view block of pine trees is too much I think - it seems to limit the views of the trains on the bridge.

I am thinking I will possibly add another layer to the canal to improve the water effect - if I can do that without messing up the foliage I have "planted" along there.

But I am not sure about what to do for the rest of it to make it more appealing for photos.

I am thinking I would take out the pine trees and and just have one turnout so that each siding is longer.  Not sure how to scenic it.

Not sure what to do about the town side.  Thinking of converting the station sidings to storage sidings and make the one long siding a single track station.  Then adding more scenery - maybe a low hill where the buildings had been which might be nice to use for a picture backdrop.  The overhead is based on some photos I have seen but either needs more detailing with cross supports or maybe replacement by more conventional poles.

Anyway, I would welcome ideas and comments - I find that getting a bunch of different ideas helps me with the design process - I need something to encourage ideas as opposed to a blank slate which just overwhelms me.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

• Like 5