Tomix Coupler Compatibility?

GDorsett

Friend of mine is looking for EMU couplers to put onto an American Budd Metroliner, but most of the Tomix TN units that I see are proprietary and clip into an existing model instead of fitting into a Kadee-style draft box. Do Kadee-friendly MU couplers exist other than the double-headed coupler?

Picture of Prototype he wants: I think he called them "Tominslon"

91323738_1033866707013522_80862603798789

or one of these:

91066372_616839705830383_320451896834156

The only Kadee-compatible coupler I know of is the double headed one, of which I have several and adore, but they are not correct for that he wants to use them for and they are just too damned big.)

• Like 1

There is one that I know of, but I've never seen it in stock. Item number is HO-C03. It looks quite long compared to Kadees so the mounting boxes may need moving back slightly.

Now comes the next challenge, where to find it...

think I should email Tomix and ask them directly if it can still be gotten or is more or less a lost cause at this point?

Edited by GDorsett

Hobbysearch have the "notify when in stock" button on their listing, which implies that they expect it to reappear (products which won't be coming back show "terminated"). Anyone's guess when though!

Usually parts like these are only produced when a model that uses them is also in production.  I was waiting for a few years for the kato TN couplers for their series 50 coaches to come back into stock.  You can also check on yahoo auctions, occasionally people in japan sell parts like these that they've had lying around.