Brand new Tomix/Tomytec Bus System NOT running

FastFranz

Ciao,

I opened today (got it time ago) a packages containing a brand-new BM-01 frame/engine. As I said it's new/never used all I did has been putting in place the requested battery (2xLR44) and pushing the micro-switch: to my utter desappointment, NOTHING HAS HAPPENED! It refused to start, period! 

I pulled out/pulled in batteries two/three times, cleaned the contact but ... 🥺😵 🥺😵 😵. Any idea on where I should look for the bug?

Greetings - sadly I left Africa about two years ago - from Ha noi (VN)

Francesco

Make sure you are putting the batteries in right side up, which always seems upside-down to me. I am used to the flat end of a battery being the bottom, from larger (AA, A, C, etc.) batteries, but these small batteries usually get oriented the other way.

Also try varying how long you hold down the on/off button. Too long doesn't work, and just poking it seems to be too short. There then seems to be a slight delay before the wheels start turning. So just experiment a bit, patiently, before giving up all hope.

Rich K.

Ciao (stays, in italian, for Hi),

@Sascha: I gave a try to Duracell/Energizer and another brand (chinese, found here in Ha noi): no way.

@brill27mcb: I will try a different timing when switching (well, trying to ...) to run!

Thx for your suggestions I'll keep you tuned.

Francesco

Ciao,

NO WAY!!! ... Many attempts with different "push-time" (on the micro-switch). Many attempt swithcing battery faces (same face up at same time) led me to no result: stubbornly refuses to go! 🤐  🤐  🤐. Any other hint?

Francesco

Edited by FastFranz

Make sure there is a good contact between the motor and the PCB. Two places (highlighted in red in the photo below):

1. (most important) at the back of the bus, there is something that looks like a spring, it must make contact with the back of the motor, i.e. the metal/green cylinder next to it

2. in the middle of the PCB, there is a contact that is pressed against the side of the motor just below

Gently try pushing/moving these two parts a bit with a toothpick or a small piece of plastic.

IMG_1637.thumb.jpeg.33451d7c20351bf02828480bf51892fd.jpeg

• Like 1

Ciao,

@Madsing: OK, i'll give it a try. THX

Francesco

Edited by FastFranz

Ciao,

Madsing, you are right! ... 👍.

All the same, regrettably i haven't reached my goal: I attached two small piece of electric wire to shown contacts and that to an AAA battery. Doing so the engine revs the way it has to. Then the bug is in contacts (already had this problem with, at least, another frame/engine) but the toothpick was not the solution: using due contacts it doesn't work at all!  ... I'm stuck, now. 

Francesco

Do you have a multimeter to check that you have 3V power supply on the PCB? You can check at the two solder points left and right of the top screw that holds the battery container with the motor and PCB.

• Like 1

Ciao,

Sorry no multimeter. All I can add i that giving contact (an AAA battery directly to two different poles) the engine runs as it's supposed to do. But, this being said, I have no idea on how to go any further.

Last but not least deepest apologises for delayed answer (the going here is bit hectic). THX everybody.

Francesco

A cheap Chinese multimeter should easily be available where you are at (or a short aliexpress.com away).

You really need a multi meter in this hobby

Yep aliexpress or ebay are probably good sources to get something to Vietnam. Probably cheap ones in any electronics shops there.

Really is with the $5 or so, very very handy to have, especially in this situation to trace a problem.

jeff

Ciao,

Again my apologies for the long silence but here - Hanoi - only recently the situation is more relaxed and I had to "take back" many things left behind. That's the life ... 😉

Then, Inobu: REALLY SORRY, but I don't understand what you want to tell me. But the time has come to tackle the "Bus" topic again so, pls, explain it other way. THX!

Francesco

Placing a magnet under the bus will switch the speed or stop the motor. The thought was to use the magnet to change toggle a flag on

the microchip. Just a thought.

Inobu