Start up videos?

RossDensha

Does anyone know where I could find or what I put into google to find videos of Japanese electric train start up sounds? Are there even any? It's not the easiest thing to film.

I can only find a couples in english for British or European trains.

Cheers

Ooh I like those... But they're not what I'm looking for, I meant at the start of service when the engine is actually started, and it will probably be older stock as new stuff probably doesn't make much sound.

A 185 seems to turn on its engines/motors in this video of the imperial train from 1:55:

Is that even what I'm listening to?

There probably isn't many, as I said not the easiest thing to film.

Sorry, wasn't very specific.

Edited by RossDensha

The 185 Series in the video seems to be actually turning on it's motor ventilators/blowers.

On 3/18/2020 at 12:14 PM, RossDensha said:

But they're not what I'm looking for, I meant at the start of service when the engine is actually started, and it will probably be older stock as new stuff probably doesn't make much sound.

Ah, gotcha.

Here are some examples:

FS Class E652 "Tiger" (this is actually a video that i've taken myself)

Keisei 3300

EF65-1000

115 Series (from 3:15 onward)

You're right, these are quite uncommon to find (i tried searching youtube with 電車 起動 - "train start-up").

Generally, on electric trains the start-up sequence sounds like this:

- Pantograph on

- Main Circuit Breaker closes (a loud "thuck")

- Static inverter starts 

- Main compressor starts

- Motor blowers start

- Main compressor stops

Train is ready to go.

The Static Inverter and the Main Circuit Breaker are easier/harder to hear depending on their location in or under the train.

Edited by Socimi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting videos. Do the EMUs featured actually have traction motor blowers? I ask because none of the MU trains here have them. They're only found on locos in Australia.

Mark.

1 hour ago, marknewton said:

Interesting videos. Do the EMUs featured actually have traction motor blowers? I ask because none of the MU trains here have them. They're only found on locos in Australia.

Mark.

Fact is, i'm not sure.

It sounds like either a traction blower or a rotary air compressor. It's too loud for the start-up of the air conditioning.

Between the two, i think the first is more likely, as the 185s are too old for being equipped with a rotary compressor (unless they were retrofitted at some point).

This video of TOQBOX9000 is a compilation of similar sounds, and the title translates as "nostalgic blower startup collection".