Cat

Ibaraki Shorty Construction

Cat
Posted (edited)

The building formerly known as the Toa-Bussan has now been more properly identified as the Eddy Family Corporation's Fuji Festival funeral parlour.  The plastic modelling on it is completed and we are now proceeding with painting.  We had selected this building as a prominent landmark on the outskirts of Mito where the KRT curves along a large bridge coming in to the city.  Now that we know it is a funeral building, we will scrap plans for modelling the Ceremonia building as we don't need two funeral homes for the final ride in our transportation systems of Ibaraki, one will do.

Google maps only identified the location as Toa-Bussan.  Closer investigation while trying to sort the signage revealed that Toa-Bussan appears to rent the ground floor, and onlly in recent years, their logo doesn't appear in earlier streetviews.  Also of note, this is not the Toa-Bussan company that imports worldwide dried fruits and nuts, this is the logo of a local transportation company.  But the websites of both of those Toa-Bussan companies had no kanji to be found that are on the very large billboard atop the building which is there through all the years of the streetviews.  I was able to transcribe the katakana on a vertical signboard on the front of the building though and that led me to the Eddy Family, エディファミリー.  On their website was found the billboard kanji of the Fuji Festival part of their business, 富士祭典.  Levelling up my linguistic sleuthing skills here!

The model itself is a kitbash of an Outlands kit that had a number of evocative features.  It was originally an L-shaped kit 10cm on the long sides and 5cm on the short sides.  Initial plan was to unfold it into a 10cm x 5cm rectangle.  Decided to cut it down to 7.5cm x 5cm to allow room on the footprint for a bright blue fire escape on the back of the building.  While the Outlands kit, and the actual building, have some inset balconies, I decided to omit those as they didn't quite look right with the small footprint and overall proportions of our model.  The size of the top roof level maintenance floor was determined by the footprint of the cut-down Tomix billboard which will sit atop it.

Here are all the modified pieces prior to painting.  The white bits are added styrene modifications.  Windows that needed to be blocked in were filled with .015 styrene.  For doorways to the fire escape, cutting out a series of 5 matching holes seemed like more time than I wanted to spend, so instead they are raised slightly.  The doors themselves were cut from .010 x .250 styrene and glued in place.  I then cut the framing strips in place, cutting and gluing one at a time from .015 x .040; this gave a nice precise fit without having to spend a lot of fiddly measuring time.  The fire escape itself is a brass kit from Gold Medal Models, this will be assembled after the main building is completed.  I used one platform piece as a measuring guide to mark and drill all the supporting holes where each level will fit in and glue to the wall.

Interior floors have walls for blocking line of sight through the building and a few blocks for shapes inside the larger windows.  The ground floor has a drive-through passageway.  I made sure this was large enough to accommodate a small Hetzer tank for Girls und Panzer gaming.
: 3

Actual streetview here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.3680647,140.4983139,3a,90y,44.79h,112.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-Fpb5uvd4pg0xuWi5zEtmQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

FujiFestInnards.jpeg

FujiFestWalls.jpeg

Edited by Cat
  • Like 5

cteno4

It really feels like an Outland building! Nice work!

Jeff

Cat

Thanks!  And thanks be to Iba Lucky, we have struck upon a number of buildings in Mito and Katsuta with nice Outlands matches to work from.

cteno4

Some of the odder Outland buildings I will look at and think that looks odd, then roaming google streets I find close matches for various parts!

jeff

• Like 1

Cat
Posted (edited)

Low flying satellite recon at a slight angle so you can see the shapes and sizes of buildings, with a pass from different directions so you see both sides of the street is amazingly helpful.  As Squid mentioned, sometimes it can feel like living in a diorama.  The other night I went on a scouting mission for a likely candidate to replace the Ceremonia building.  That was going to be more of a complex kitbash anyway, so it was an easy decision to look for a replacement now that we have a funeral parlour.

Doing a low fly-by of the streets in Mito between the O-Hara and Fuji Festival, lucked onto a traditional tea shop.  We have a winner — and the Tomytec kit in the stash at hand.  Never thought we would have found architecture like this in our cities!  Tomytec 057 is a little larger than the Wakashiko Tea Stall, but fits nicely in the allocated real estate on the module.  Roxanne is thrilled to have a traditional building, and so much fun weathering to do on it:
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.364994,140.4916039,3a,60y,336.41h,97.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6ganSgKySriEa2BzrTtymw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10106554

Edited by Cat
  • Like 2

JR 500系

Wow those interiors really make the building unique! Nice!

Cat

Thanks, floors and a few walls really break up the staring through a giant canyon look.  A few simple blocks give shapes that show the building is inhabited.  Sometimes they don't even show up much when the building is fully assembled; but they are quick and easy to put in at this stage just in case their absence would be noteworthy in the end.

cteno4

It is amazing just a few interior things can totally trip the mind’s eye into seeing a full interior!

jeff