Zero budget tiny layout project!

Reynard Noir

Reynard Noir

Hello all, I thought I would share my (almost) zero budget tiny layout project as I start it. 

The idea of this is three fold, firstly to see just how cheaply a nice mini layout can be built, and to have a nice N gauge layout to go with the professionally built TT gauge one I have (accidental auction purchase - don't ask!), also to retain a little test section for the locos I sell on line. 

For a while I have been using a small section of track taped to an old bed slat as a test section to ensure all locos work properly. I'll hopefully also use it as a back drop for pictures - though I have some other dioramas I use from time to time. 

But now with the addition of a second old bed slat I plan to create a little layout. I'm not quite sure what it will end up like other than it is very small. I have used an old Peco starter track pack to get going, and ideally will only use whats included in that. So thats a total cost of £25 from an auction. 

In terms of scenery, I'm not sure what I'll go for yet (any ideas?), but I plan to only use old scrap stock I have here, or cheap broken/junk bits that you can find in Poppondetta in Akihabara and similar. As I build it up I'll post pictures here and show I build it and how much exactly I spend (as little as possible).

So please if you are interested let me know and fire over questions and suggestions - I have never done a project like this before! 

cheers

Reynard,

fun! Do some YouTube searching as there are a ton of model train and wargaming folks that have how tos on cheap/free scenery materials. Small tub of ground foam, electric wire, some cheap craft paint and a little plaster can make amazing trees for next to nothing. bits of scrub pads and ground foam makes great You can even make your own ground foam cheap.

Cheap small bottles of acrylic craft paint from the craft store are great as for a few pounds you can have a variety of colors. Also hardware or paint stores at times have interior latex (basically acrylic paint) that got mixed wrong on sale cheap. Kids powdered tempra paints are also really inexpensive and last, just mix what you need at the time.

tons of free cardstock printout structures on the web and others for sale really cheap. Pm me if you want access to some fo the free ones I’ve downloaded over the years. With a little care and some extra layers and a little beefing up of the interiors you can make quite nice buildings. Scratch building also usually is dirt cheap, just costs your time to learn and do.

the cheap Chinese architectural figures are great to fill in crowds (put any nicer figures in the front) and can be touched up a lot to make better. Same goes with the cheap autos. Little trimming of flashing, repainting rims, and changing car color can make them quite decent at a fraction of the cost of tomytec vehicles.

yes you can buy the really nice scenery, buildings, figures, vehicles off the shelf, but for very little budget you can make very nice stuff, just take your time and effort to create them. A lot of this will be some experimenting to figure out and get good at them, but the beauty is the parts are dirt cheap to experiment and practice on. Who cares if you ruin 50 of your 100 figure you bought for 3 pounds or mess up a bunch of threes that cost you 5 cents each in ground foam and wire! It’s a bit of the good/fast/cheap thing, if you work hard you can almost always get 2 well. Getting all three you are sometimes very lucky but usually cheating somewhere.

looking forward to what you come up with good lessons for us all!

cheers,

jeff

• Like 1

Sorry I forgot to do a shout out to the late, great Carl Arednt that cat linked to. Really is a treasure trove of micro layout ideas. I’ve gone back over the site really classy.

cheers,

jeff

Reynard Noir

That site with the Micro layouts is great inspiration. I think I'm leaning toward an industrial style layout, mainly as if I use scrap parts it won't matter if things are a bit broken. I'm hoping to head to the shops in Tokyo and Kyoto in a couple of weeks and see what scrap they have (usually there is a fair bit). 

For now I'd rather modify existing scrap than scratch build, but scratch building is an option to explore! Those youtube suggestions are very helpful thanks! 

Reynard. 

Reynard Noir

My attempt to get to Japan has been foiled... so this will take a bit longer than I first planned - cracking on though!

Hunting down a copy of Carl Arendt's book is worthwhile: 52 Micro layouts you can build: Model railroading in extremely small spaces.  It's a compilation of material from the website, and very delightful to curl up with instead of clicking through all the links.  

Disclosure: I do have a layout idea credit in the book from discussions on the old Micro Layout forum, Carl is the one who drew out a plan for it.

Edited by Cat
  • Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Looks to be out of circulation. But amazon has a kindle edition for $7!

Not quite the same as curling up with an actual book alas.  ABE.com is my go-to for used books, but they have none available right now either.

Reynard Noir

I got a bit busy with work after the lockdown began in the UK, but today found a bit of time to have a play around with potential layouts. This is where I got to, but I think I might add another siding in the empty space. Though I'll have to wait until I see some cheapo track come up. (I've used up all the straight sections I have). I'm thinking a single passenger platform will go in (not full length) and the rest mostly industrial looking. I guess the stations in Mie around Yokkaichi are a sort of inspiration. 

Reminder that the primary purpose of this micro layout is to serve as a backdrop for taking pictures and as a test section, but I also want to just enjoy building something for the first time! 

Cost so far:
PECO starter track pack (incomplete and came in a job lot) - £5
Some old bed slats: £0
Power cable:  Recycled from an old television power lead £0
Gaugemaster controller: £5 (part of an old job lot) 
Trains in picture: these don't count as I'm going to sell them! 

DSCF9706.jpg

DSCF9709.jpg

DSCF9707.jpg

DSCF9705.jpg

• Like 5