JR Training videos

RossDensha

Here are some JR West animated safety training videos. They're all cautionary tales, which show that failure to follow correct procedure can result in serious accidents.

In this one, a driver comes to a new branch.

So you get an idea of what's happening:

He wakes up very early, and so is very tired. When he arrives at the office, he sees a temporary speed restriction due to a damaged track area (something like that). The shift manager also reminds him.

He then gets on his train. He now feels a bit tired, and he realises he has a long time before he has to start, so he decides to have a quick nap. 

He takes his nap. 

He now wakes up. 'I overslept! I'm late! I have to go! He hurries back to the driver's cab, and rushes through the departure checks.

He passes a shunting signal at danger, and the ATS bell goes off, but he ignores it, keen to get going because he's behind. By the huge crashing sound, I think something bad happened. But we don't get to see that.

The video transitions, with the same 441M train, acting as if nothing has happened.

The ATS bell rings because the temporary speed restriction, but the driver ignores it. He doesn't see the temporary speed restriction sign, but he does see this nice straight section of track, so he tries driving at top speed to try and get back on schedule. He then sees the 'temporary speed restriction begins' sign, and workers holding their batons, and panics. He quickly applies the brakes, but the track is not in a condition that will allow trains to safely run at the speed he's going.

The train derails, but miraculously, everyone is fine.

The driver is shocked, as anyone would be, and isn't quite sure what to do next. To add to this pressure, there are some passengers behind him, who something along the lines of 'Do you have any idea what you're doing?' Something similar may be happening to the conductor. The conductor calls the driver and asks him what happened  or something like that. From what I can hear, the driver tells him the ATS malfunctioned. He tells the conductor that he is going to reverse back onto the track? The conductor tries to object, but the driver brushes him off and hangs up. The driver reverses and the  train rerails. The conductor sees a railway crossing with the barriers up, so he pulls the emergency brake, but it's too late. The train hits a car as it drives over a crossing.

The conductor calls the driver, and he tries to tell the driver what has happened, but the driver again brushes him off and tells him to give him a starting signal. He resumes driving.

As you can tell, the train is now VERY late, so he drives fast again. He forgets that there's a turnout at the next station, and when he sees it, he applies the emergency brake. But it's too late. The train runs through the turnout much too fast, and derails, and this time, it's a far worse derailment.

This ending section reminds me a bit of the tragic accident in Victoria the other day.

Here's a full playlist of them!

Some have wanman driving procedures (opening the wrong door etc.) and there is a JR East one in there somewhere.

Edited by RossDensha

Ah, you found Mr. Matao Maeka. He's (as you might have guessed) a fictional character developed by the JR Group to show how carelessness leads to accidents.

That's him! Crazy man, has caused the deaths of many while remaining alive and well himself!

Sorry for posting twice... 😬

O! ABUNAI! BOOOOOM!

Kono untenshu wa anzende wa arimasen.

Edited by RossDensha

This unfortunately reminds me of a certain German forklift safety training video.

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Love those videos of how not to do things. John Cleese did a bunch of those for HR things back in the early 90s like how not to fire someone! 

the forklift has better gore scene quality than most slasher movies!

jeff

• Like 2

Not sure if this has been posted before, but apparently an instructor fell asleep while a new conductor in 2016. So these people made it into something similar to a Maeka style animation. (They animate other news items as well.)

Edited by RossDensha
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1