Sign in to follow this  
gcmr_new_zealand

My First Layout - Built 1992

gcmr_new_zealand

While sorting out photos of my Yamakai layout I came across some snaps of my first layout that I had built.

This was designed to be portable and to fit into the back of my station wagon.  It was built in a 'box' with a hinged lid for protection and to enable things to be transported on top of it.  Access holes were needed in case of a derailment within the hill section:

L1.thumb.jpg.2721a8fd2fefaff94d0cc4e3a5f9cb23.jpg

Most of the visible track was on a gradient including one of the three stations.  The front edge of the box was cut-away  for viewing.  A branch line climbed up three sides to the level of the lid and by adding additional track it went around 3 sides of the lid to where I could set up sidings or display track depending on how I wanted to run it:

L2.thumb.jpg.8236d2bf41b1dc4a69718062045d1c2c.jpg

I made use of green scenic mat glued to the inside of the lid and some layout areas.  Buildings would be packed away separately and I would position them to suit.  My first attempts at scenery were pretty basic but I was happy with it at the time:

L3.thumb.jpg.9b33660be17114be0b3be57f9bdb771f.jpg

I got to display it at a number of locations around the South Island of New Zealand.

L4.thumb.jpg.6230d406d8f1363d69fc47a4f1f132ff.jpg

ItI had a clip-on control box at one end:

L5.thumb.jpg.727cddc1a90ebd0bc4dd5437a7361a5a.jpg

A better view of the controls.  By this time I had build a longer removable yard which would sit on the lid and this became the basis of a permanent layout built a few years later - but that is another story:

L6.thumb.jpg.ebeaa71481153b657a2182c3d40a2eaf.jpg

It had two continuous tracks, each with a passing loop at a station plus two depot storage tracks.  The additional branch line up to the lid gave heaps of options as to which trains to run and overall I had a lot of fun with it.  I will try to work out the track plan and post a sketch. 

• Like 9

gcmr_new_zealand

Here is the approximate track plan - not to scale.  I had fun creating it from my photos.

The viaduct section on the left has been moved to one side to show the lower track and double crossover.

Trackplan.thumb.jpg.d507f4c3cf93da7ec375d1c803aa3ebd.jpg

• Like 5

gcmr_new_zealand

... and a 45 sec video clip.

.. enough nostalgia for now.

• Like 6