Japanese train otaku's help fund lessons for thai operators of the retired DD51's

Yavianice

Thanks so much for posting this!  It is really nice to see some stories about positive cooperation and people working towards a goal.

It was also interesting as I never thought about the challenges when rolling stock goes to another country.  I suppose it should be obvious that there is more to this than just starting up the locomotive so it was educational to see some of the necessary behind the scenes work.

Tony Galiani

Nice. You kinda would think that translation of all manuals and some hands on training would have been part of the sell/buy deal/process.

jeff

• Like 1

I can't believe it still has the Hokutosei head mark on it, it must have been taken straight from the terminal to the dock and loaded. I know when General Electric makes locomotives for overseas they generally train some of the operators and mechanics here in the United States before shipping the locomotives and manuals to their new owner and they also provide support/upgrades for them. This seems like more of a cash sale than a contract.

Nice to know if I want to start modelling Thai railroads I already have two locomotives for it!

3 hours ago, nah00 said:

Nice to know if I want to start modelling Thai railroads I already have two locomotives for it!

And apparently headmarks too!

From what I understood they were decommissioned in 2015 and initially meant to be sold to Myanmar.

This fell through and the locos stayed at Muroran port for 2-3 years.

Eventually they were sold and shipped to Thailand in 2018.

http://www.2427junction.com/thailandreportjrhdd51.html

On 2/27/2020 at 8:15 AM, Sheffie said:

And apparently headmarks too!

Replica.

Edited by stevenh

Folks, 

Transferring locos and rolling stock to another country with a different language would require a new set of operating manuals in the appropriate language, and probably changes to labels on controls in the cabs and on the engines and other parts also.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

The manuals couldnt be found after 40 years. So it was all taught by visual and verbal instructions.

I remember reading a similar article last year or 2018 about the DD51s in Thailand.

Dash is just relabeled using a cheap label printer.