Cat

Back home from a fun long weekend of gaming at TotalCon here in Massachusetts.  I ran a couple of sessions of Wacky Max 1968 (Wacky Races meets Mad Max using the Maximillian 1934 rules from Mana Press https://manapress.com.au/pages/maximillian).

I've been working on modifying the 1/72-ish model cars that come in the Wacky Races board game by CMON.  Adding weapons and upgrading the tires and crew figures.  I've finished 4 of the modified vehicles so far, plus long-bed options for the Boulder Mobile and the Buzz Wagon, and using stock vehicles from the board game in the meanwhile for the others.  Pandora Pitstop in the purple Compact Ground Rattler is Penelope's twin sister introduced in the re-booted series on Boomerang, they have sibling issues.

1st4Cars.jpeg

2Longbeds.jpeg

TC20Sat5Barrel2.jpeg

TC20Sat9PenelopeWins.jpeg

Edited by Cat
  • Like 3

Cat

Also ran several sessions of the classic board game Ogre by Steve Jackson Games.  This was the very first Microgame from 1977, originally sold in a little zip lock bag with a sheet of tiny cardboard counters that you cut apart to play on a small paper map.  The game is still going strong with much fancier formats available now.  I prefer playing on the new neoprene gaming mats and using 1/285 plastic miniatures instead of cardboard counters.

BadCPDay.jpeg

GEVsIncoming.jpeg

• Like 2

cteno4

Oh man shades of college! A couple of friends were big into the very early micro games. They use to play for long times in the cafeteria at the student union. I’d pop on the head sets to the ultra new Walkman and read a book and watch then have fun! I wasn’t a big gamer but enjoyed their comradery.

jeff

• Like 1

chadbag

One of these days I'll raid e-Bay for ASL stuff (Advanced Squad Leader).  I have the rules and the YANKs and one or two more modules but there is much more.  I have not actually played much ASL but I did play a ton of classic SL when I was a teenager.  Somewhere I have 2 full SL games plus COI, COD, GI: AOV, though everything is mixed up now.

I've a bunch of other Avalon Hill games, a little SPI, and some other stuff.  Most not looked upon since I was a teenager, but will come out again once we have moved and I get my board game room with shelves to actually unpack from moving boxes from long ago.

katoftw

I probably have a box of Warhammer 40K squashed up the back corner of the garage.  Those space marines would've seen better days.

Cat

The topic of Girls Und Panzer miniature gaming with 1/100 models came up in another thread.  Here's a couple of links to info on that.

Twig worked out the bulk of the home brew rules for and started posting photos on The Miniatures Page.  I jumped in and we did a lot collaboratively to polish them up.  I'm half way through translating the rules from our short hand crib sheets into an actual English language version that others could use.  Hope to get back to that in the nearish future.  Twig does most of his gaming at home, I do most of mine at a local hobby store and regional gaming conventions.  When next we gamers can gather for live gaming, I want to get these rules and minis back on the table!

The big GuP thread on TMP is here (I post under MiniMo): 
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=393895&page=1

I've put a lot of my own GuP work up on my gaming blog, somewhat neglected gaming blog as I tend to spend more time at home modelling than blogging:
https://goblinhall.com/category/girls-und-panzer/

Since my last blog entry, I did complete a lot more work on modelling and painting crew figures for all the schools' teams.  The photos I took of them at a convention didn't come out too great.  At some point, I'll pull them out for another photo shoot.

Here are the Oarai tanks, with Miho as the first figure completed.  All of these tanks have their own crew now, with tiny magnets so they can pop onto the hatches when they're unbuttoned:

Ooarai8.JPG

BrownAnkouRight.JPG

GreyAnkouRear.JPG

• Like 3

nah00

Gale Force Nine did a stand-alone Tanks game using the newer plastic minis from Flames of War. It's a skirmish game with only a few units per side and always thought it would be great for GuP battles. Plus Pravda's paint scheme is REALLY simple, same for most of the other schools. I have a few of them that I never got around to building/painting, depending on when we get off voluntary house arrest I may actually get to assembling some of them. I have some Zvezda 1/100 tanks I've put together real fast that I could get around to painting too, I have an M3 and I think 2 Matildas. 

On 2/24/2020 at 6:15 PM, katoftw said:

I probably have a box of Warhammer 40K squashed up the back corner of the garage.  Those space marines would've seen better days.

While sorting through my boxes of 'to do' models I did find a 'Start Collecting' box for Deathwatch and an Imperial Guard infantry squad. I remember buying the Deathwatch guys but have no recollection of buying the Imperial Guard guys. 

Cat

An early draft of Twig's rules and stats can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxiKebhaxRomQXQyVGg1SmU1c3c/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxiKebhaxRomVlZlUmd5Ny02STg/view

There haven't been major changes, some polishing up and a few tweaks.   When my brain isn't so immersed in planning the Ibaraki Shorty layout, I will get back to finishing the polished up version.  The real fun with these rules compared to a generic tank skirmish game is that they are really designed to capture the flavour of the show.  Loading times are critical and give lighter tanks a good fighting edge with faster rate of fire.

• Like 1

Cat
Posted (edited)

Two weeks ago would have been the Huzzah miniatures gaming convention in Portland Maine, which is definitely the highlight of the New England convention circuit.

We did go online then to fulfill our primary shopping goal that had been planned for the convention  — ordering the new 1/56 Border Reivers buildings from our favourite local laser cutting business, Things From The Basement.  Roxanne & I had both joined in with the consultations on designing these to get the correct period architecture, and have really been looking forward to getting the actual kits from Joerg.

As a really nice touch, he included laser cut teddy bear fur pieces for the cottages' thatched roofs!*  It's a superb material for the job; glue on, brush out with diluted PVA, let dry, trim the edge.

This project had been commissioned by the Maine Historical Gamers club for a big invitational game they were going to host at the con.  They, and other clubs all around the region, were painting 28mm figures to bring to the game.  Next year, the hot trod is on!

They hadn't requested a pele tower for their game commission, really hoping Joerg does one at some point.

https://www.thingsfromthebasement.com/store/c46/Border_Reivers_-_The_Greit_Cursing.html

* No actual teddy bears were harmed in making these roofing pieces.

BsstleHouseKit.jpeg

3CottagesKit.jpeg

WallsKit.jpeg

Edited by Cat
  • Like 1

gavino200
On 4/10/2020 at 12:21 PM, Cat said:

An early draft of Twig's rules and stats can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxiKebhaxRomQXQyVGg1SmU1c3c/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxiKebhaxRomVlZlUmd5Ny02STg/view

There haven't been major changes, some polishing up and a few tweaks.   When my brain isn't so immersed in planning the Ibaraki Shorty layout, I will get back to finishing the polished up version.  The real fun with these rules compared to a generic tank skirmish game is that they are really designed to capture the flavour of the show.  Loading times are critical and give lighter tanks a good fighting edge with faster rate of fire.

Those rules look really complicated. But how does it all work. Do you though dice or something, to decide what happens when you make a move?

Cat
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Those rules look really complicated. But how does it all work. Do you though dice or something, to decide what happens when you make a move?

It's a relatively light set of rules, by miniature gaming standards.  Seems more complicated than that because in grand home-brewed rules tradition, Twig's early drafts are really in outline form, and it helps to have a gamemaster who knows what's going on.  I had to get a few clarifications from Twig before I could really start running games.  I have the fuller written version with much more English language applied in progress.

There is dicing involved.  At the start of the turn, players dice for initiative.  The team with the initiative can choose to move first or second and also have the last move.  Teams take turns moving inidvidual tanks or formations.  Players just choose how far they wish to move, up to the limit for each type of tank.  Stationary tanks may interrupt an opponent's move to take a snapshot, but at a dice penalty to hit.  Otherwise, after all tanks have moved, then normal shooting commences.  Shooting starts with the team that won the initiative and alternates between teams: the tanks with the Best Loader crew member shirt first, then all the tanks with Light Guns, then Medium, etc., and the tanks with the Worst Loader crew member shoot last.

The dice roll to hit a target is determined by caliber of gun compared to thickness of armour, with the dice roll modified for range and a few other factors.

The show really stresses how important loading times are.  Lighter shells are easier to load and thus generally fire first.  This gives teams with lighter tanks a reasonable fighting chance against teams with heavier tanks if they can maneuver well to establish good positions.

Lots of maneuvering into position going on in this battle from Huzzah 2017:

HuzzahEngage.JPG

Edited by Cat
  • Thanks 1