Shinkansens in HO?

GDorsett

What Shinkansens have been produced in HO other than the 0, E5, and JR500? Has the E6 been made? What about the N700 or some of the other "modern" Shinkansens?

If the N700 does exist, how expensive is it and where can it be found?

カツミ(Katsumi) or KTM make or made the N700. Each car is bought separately similar to their 500 series. There are 4 motor cars due to it being brass but it will set you back around ¥850,000.  They also produce the 0, 100, E2, “zero” prototype and the E3 Tsubasa and I’m sure they’ve done an E4 at some point.

There used to be a shop in the malls in Yokohama bay on the top floor that sold HO Shinkansens. I remembered being shocked at the prices considering I was used to British OO at that point.That was over 10 years ago so I have no idea if it’s still there.

Also Endo produce the E5 and the 800. 
http://www.ktm-models.co.jp/topics.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

does the KTM N700 come painted already? Do you know how DCC friendly it might be?

Same for the 0, although that one I do know is painted.

I think a lot of the KTM models come pre painted unless you purchase one of their kits. I’m not hugely familiar with Katsumi models as I tend to see more Endo product around with the occasional KTM in used sections of places like Hobbyland Pochi. They still have a sizeable asking price. As for DCC, those that I’ve seen running have always been hardwired. 

Need for High Speed
On 2/19/2020 at 7:41 PM, GDorsett said:

does the KTM N700 come painted already? Do you know how DCC friendly it might be?

Same for the 0, although that one I do know is painted.

KTM makes almost all their models in Brass because of this I am a little skeptical of their oporating perfomance although I dont know anything about them because I cant find any one who has them. I have spent a very long time researching HO shinkansens and their isnt much out their. the two I have are the only few non brass models out their. the only shinkansens in HO that I've come across in many searches that are not brass is the 500, E5, and 0series. 

KTM has produced many Shinkansens in HO scale. How ever they make very limited numbers of them and they are godly expensive.  https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10441862 insanity.

They make the N700, E4 MAX, they also make the railstar and the 100, 200, 300 series. All are HO brass and good luck on finding them I've only seen the HO N700 come up for sale on Yahoo a couple of times and the 16 cars together were like 7 grand or something insane. I saw the E4 come up once and it was a solid 3 or 4 grand for only a 4 car train. Their was also a 16 car KTM 500 series for sale a few months ago that was like 5 grand I think

Most of what I see are the 0series they are all brass but because they produced so many of them they come up very regularly and are pretty cheap although I've heard the Zouki Mura super rail series HO plastic model 0series is better detailed and has a 21pin plug and interior lighting. Poeple have recamended it to me several times although I am happy with my 30 dollar model power 0series. 

Some of the KTM shinkansens lack details because they are sculpted form brass and are not made in molds. this is true for the 500 series they charge you 400 or more a car and the detailing of the seems and vents are lacking in the nose portion and they are not very accurate of the real train the Tenshodo model is better in so many ways.

It is not terrible to assume Kato might produce another Shinkansen in HO in the future. But I am speculating that it will most likely be the N700 or the N700Supreme because those seem very popular, I see every where like the E5 and 500. Plus with Texas Central High speed railway purchasing the N700S their could be a bigger market for the model in HO. but that's years away. So who knows.

In other words I think there's better luck the Chinese high speed trains will be produced in HO than the Japanese Shinkansens

But Tomix or Kato could get brave and announce one in the future never know. 

Edited by Need for High Speed
5 hours ago, Need for High Speed said:

It is not terrible to assume Kato might produce another Shinkansen in HO in the future.

There was some speculation about an E6 as IIRC there was a comment at the end of a Kato video of their HO E5 on YouTube from 5 or 6 years ago. While typing this, I found it.

That still hasn’t come to fruition but never say never. 

I’d be happier with a rerun of the D51 in HO or other JNR stock at Kato’s more affordable HO prices.

• Like 2
marknewton

I'd love to see a rerun of their D51, but I can't help wondering if the tooling is no longer available for whatever reason, as they've rerun just about everything else in their HO range. 

(Yeah I know, I've already got eight of the things, but I could  always use a few more! 😋 )

Cheers,

Mark.

• Haha 1