Converting Our UK Layout to Japanese - Yamanouchi Oshika

Claude_Dreyfus

Claude_Dreyfus

Looks really great Claude

Thanks...it's getting there; but still a way to go before we are really happy with it. Incidentally, only living about 10 miles up the road from me, you may well get a chance to see the layout 'in the flesh' some time soon as it is pencilled in for the bi-annual Gaugemaster open weekend in September, representing not only our club but also the Japanese Railway Society.

Claude_Dreyfus

There have been one or two cryptic comments over the last few weeks about the photo session we had last week. The reason for this is that the layout is due to appear in Continental Modeller some time in the next few months. The article has been written and submitted, along with a whole raft of pictures. I have seen a first proof, and I must admit it does look pretty good; even if I can see all the bits that still need doing, or require some reworking!

There is even a mention of this forum in the article... :grin

There have been one or two cryptic comments over the last few weeks about the photo session we had last week. The reason for this is that the layout is due to appear in Continental Modeller some time in the next few months. The article has been written and submitted, along with a whole raft of pictures. I have seen a first proof, and I must admit it does look pretty good; even if I can see all the bits that still need doing, or require some reworking!

Nice, I would love to read that (but that ain't going to happen).

Yes, Nick please do let us know what issue its headed for an i would love to see if i can snag a copy of continental modeler here in the states.

cheers

jeff

Claude_Dreyfus

The current plan is for the layout to be featured in the March edition; which means it will be out in the shops by the middle of February - most likely the 16th. I cannot, however, say for certain that this will indeed be the case...

Claude - congratulations! That is a huge step for modelers. Model Railroader Mag. would never do an article like that, it takes them away from their safety zone. Also thanks for mentioning the forum in the article, can't wait to read it!

Very impressive Claude!  I like the adherence to the Chuo Main Line prototype- as this is one of my favorite lines for a weekend day trip out of Tokyo (just took a trip a couple of weeks ago actually- I love the good mix of traffic and old and new train types).  The Nagano color 115s and the EH200-hauled tanker trains had me sold!

*and congrats for the upcoming write-up in Continental Modeller.

Nice, I would love to read that (but that ain't going to happen).

Yes, Nick please do let us know what issue its headed for an i would love to see if i can snag a copy of continental modeler here in the states.

I let my subscription run out, but modeltrainstuff.com used to get individual issues; maybe they still do.

Vince, if one of us can snag a copy, maybe we could mail you an old-fashioned photocopy. Certainly none of us would dare to scan a copyrighted publication.

It's looking really good--you guys have done a nice job.

Can't quite tell--is the tram line a point-to-point that stops by the main station, or does it continue beyond there?

Claude_Dreyfus

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the comments... :grin

The tram line currently forms a reversed 'J', running from behind the police station area to a terminating platform in front of the park; just above the station. There is an intention to power it up one day, as well as a possibility of some future remodelling/extension...

Claude_Dreyfus

I  see -- so it would just occasionally appear, stop, reverse, and disappear again.

Correct...one of the development plans is to fully automate the process; to install an auto-reverse system on both this and the branchline. One of our club members have been experimenting with putting togther a DCC shuttle unit for use on DC trains...it is quite a neat system and allows for DCC responsiveness on non-converted stock.

When that will appear is anyone's guess...

I may steal that idea. :-)

There will of course be a fee involved here... :grin Seriously, none of the ideas on here are particularly original or innovative; however should anyone want to use any of these, feel free. If there are any specific techniques you are interested here, just ask...

Seriously, none of the ideas on here are particularly original or innovative

Perhaps not, but you need to account for my very low levels of experience, intelligence, and imagination. %-P

Claude_Dreyfus

I have realised that it has been a little while since some pictures have been posted.

Yesterday evening we set the layout up to check for any electrical issues before the layout goes off to its next show - in early March. One or two gremlins have been discovered, and one school of thought is for the entire layout to be rewired sometime over the next year or so...perhaps with some more extensive track relaying and redesign.

Next week the last bits of the scenic work due in time for the show will be carried out, before attention shifts 100% to the 00 layout as it is due to an exhibition the week before Yamanouchi Oshika...busy busy...

Once we have recovered from the exhibition the scenic redevelopment will continue behind the motorway flyover and around the front where the waste ground and front industrial estate are located. More on that anon...

In the meantime a couple of pictures.

It's not everyday that a pair of EF65s operate on the Chuo line, and it is even more of an occasion when Rainbow Express liveried EF65 118 joins the party. Here the two locos are passing through Yamanouchi Oshika bound for Tokyo with a van train. A KiHa110 can be seen on the branchline shuttle in the background.

EF65KiHa110.jpg

Next up is a sight not often afforded to the casual observer...the fiddle yard. In this view a whole bunch of stock that never went anywhere near the Chuo line can be seen - with the exception of the class 215 EMU. The container train is headed by a Micro Ace EF510. Also seen in the distance is the latest addition to the Dreyfus stud - a Micro Ace KiHa 53-200 railcar; looks fantastic and runs beautifully... Not in this view are the two EF65s on a van train and the corresponding inner loop train, consisting of a Modermo class 313 3-car EMU, which were stopped out on the layout for some emergency surgery to take place to the branchline fiddleyard...tools visible in the background.

IMG_3885.jpg

A few more snaps next week... :grin

Claude_Dreyfus

Just by way of an update... Just to confirm that Yamanouchi Oshika will indeed be featured in the March edition of CM, which is due out this Thursday! My understanding is that it will be staggered over a couple of issues owing to my nasty habit of writing huge dissertations...the main body of the article will be this month, with the stock being featured in a future edition...

Claude_Dreyfus

Claude (if I may call you Claude ;-) ) -- what's the overall length of the layout, and what radius curves were used on the ends?

Of course you can!

The overall length of the layout is 16'. I'm not 100% of the curve radius...I need to do some measuring, however it is a double-track return at each end on 3' wide boards. I'll give something a little more technical at the end of the week... :grin

Claude_Dreyfus

Thanks for the positive comments...

I picked up a copy of the March edition of Continental Modeller. There's a familiar layout contained within those pages.  :grin

IMG_3923.jpg

• Like 3

Claude - The magazine did a beautiful page on your layout....it great to see a publication do something different than the usual layout that are normally featured! Congratulation to you and your club.