Jump to content
JanW

Installing Kato EM13 decoder in 'DCC Friendly' Keikyu 2100 model

Recommended Posts

JanW

Does anybody managed to install the Kato decoder EM13 into the motorcar of the Kato 'DCC friendly' Keikyu line (KATO 10-1307)?  

I bought this beautiful model some 3 years back in Japan and now try to convert it to DCC. The manual claims that the model is 'DCC friendly' but only mentions the easy installation of the decoders for the front and rear lights and interior lights. Nothing about the motor decoder..   When I tried to install it, I found that there is not enough space for the decoder :-(  

 

You can insert the decoder but it ends up sitting to high to allow the boogy to be reinstalled.  I am now facing drastic measures like machining the metal frame to make more space.. 

IMG_7929.thumb.JPG.70dc270ae6c3b1a367c49077256cf6c8.JPG

Must admit I am using the Zimo clone. The Zimo has exactly the same dimensions as the original Digitrax/Kato EM13. 

 

 

Obviously having the lights on DCC is not much use without the motor.. 

 

Anybody managed to install the EM13 decoder in this car? 

91doooSnJsL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.aa006dd317203ce27db3bb8772b9afea.jpg

This is the model I am talking about.

 

Edited by JanW

Share this post


Link to post
katoftw

There are a few kato models , say 2010-2015 where the motor decoder wont fit. Even though it is described as dcc friendly. But directional lighting and interior lighting is fine. You may have one of these models

Share this post


Link to post
JanW
11 hours ago, katoftw said:

There are a few kato models , say 2010-2015 where the motor decoder wont fit. Even though it is described as dcc friendly. But directional lighting and interior lighting is fine. You may have one of these models

Indeed, I suppose I ended up with one of those. 

 

In the mean time I have taken the bold step to machine away the metal blob that obstructs the installation of the decoder. Also parts of the plastic part that hold the boogy needed to be machined away. That did the trick and all fits nicely now. 

 

So far the good news. Bad news is that the decoder has not provided any signs of life until now. It seems DOA :-(

 

Here some pictures:

IMG_7931.thumb.jpg.56bd3bf6ca0674140c36a74d9b445bf0.jpg

 

IMG_7932.thumb.jpg.6aa350929ebcbf0c4feeb2d8353f5da9.jpg

 

IMG_7933.thumb.jpg.7f1951e8de7169331861fa871cc2e032.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Madsing

Thank you for these details. This train (10-1307) has been re-released in January and I was planning to buy it.

Machining the metal part does not seem easy without the proper tools, though...

Share this post


Link to post
JanW
1 hour ago, Madsing said:

Machining the metal part does not seem easy without the proper tools, though...

Indeed Madsing.  I am lucky enough to have an old Emco Unimat 3 but otherwise it would be a daunting task..

Share this post


Link to post
Kiha66

Very impressive work, your modification is very clean.  Hope kato addresses this issue in the future!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...