Down Under Diesels?

GDorsett

As a fan of the Bulldog nose from EMD as well as the old EMD engines such as the 645 block, I was surprised to learn a few months ago that the Australians kept building locomotives under licence from EMD well into the 70s. I have taken a liking to the Class 42 and 421, specifically.

Now, I have an old (and very incorrect) model fo a 42 from Lima, but I'd really like to have the Auscision model of the 421. Does anyone have experience with Auscision and their models? Do they look/run/sound good? Is it something I could easily bring to North American spec?

Does anyone have any other examples of Aussie locomotives being brought back to the US after export? I keep hearing stories of $1k+ sound systems and actually nice/well-kept interiors...

My son has a few Auscision diesels, and my mate has a large fleet of them. I'm out at the moment, but I can post some photos and further comments when I get home. Until then, here's a teaser from the phone - privately owned 42103 at Waterfall on the Picnic Train late last year.

spacer.png

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 4

GDorsett,

The general loading gauge for standard and broad gauge lines in Australia is less than that for North America, so an HO model of a Victorian or NSW or other 'bullnose' would be smaller than a North American model.

Why stick with NSW, Victoria had (stil has in preservation) double ended 'bullnoses' and I think that Auscision do models of these locos.

What was Commonwealt Railways (ComRail) aso ran these bullnose  GM locos across the Nullabour Plain

Auscision seems to do good models (all Chinese built, of course), so there shouldn't be any problems with models from them

Regards, 

Bill,

Melbourne.

I have a large number of Auscision locomotives; 8 of the double-ended bullnoses from Victoria - the B Class and A Class...  They are some of Auscision's earlier models (just over 10 years old I think).  Detail is excellent and pulling power is very good.  They don't come with sound, although you can add a decoder.

Another company, Trainorama (later known as Bob's Hobbies) make the single-ended version.  In Victoria, this is known as the S Class and is also an excellent model.  Some say the shape of the nose is a little more accurate on the Trainorama offering, although there are minor variations in the full-size prototype, so I think it's a matter of opinion.

Here's my Auscision B60:

spacer.png 

• Like 1
On 2/12/2020 at 2:10 AM, ben_issacs said:

GDorsett,

The general loading gauge for standard and broad gauge lines in Australia is less than that for North America, so an HO model of a Victorian or NSW or other 'bullnose' would be smaller than a North American model.

Why stick with NSW, Victoria had (stil has in preservation) double ended 'bullnoses' and I think that Auscision do models of these locos.

What was Commonwealt Railways (ComRail) aso ran these bullnose  GM locos across the Nullabour Plain

Auscision seems to do good models (all Chinese built, of course), so there shouldn't be any problems with models from them

Regards, 

Bill,

Melbourne.

I'm not too worried about loading gauge, as I also have Japanese trains, so...

As long as they fit on the rails!

And I have been looking at their website, I just don't want to pop that kind of money on something that I don't know the quality of or how well it runs/pulls.

On 2/12/2020 at 7:04 AM, VJM said:

I have a large number of Auscision locomotives; 8 of the double-ended bullnoses from Victoria - the B Class and A Class...  They are some of Auscision's earlier models (just over 10 years old I think).  Detail is excellent and pulling power is very good.  They don't come with sound, although you can add a decoder.

Another company, Trainorama (later known as Bob's Hobbies) make the single-ended version.  In Victoria, this is known as the S Class and is also an excellent model.  Some say the shape of the nose is a little more accurate on the Trainorama offering, although there are minor variations in the full-size prototype, so I think it's a matter of opinion.

Here's my Auscision B60:

spacer.png 

It looks laong the lines of some Bachmann Spectrum models, or is this one of the older ones?

GDorsett,

GM Bullnoses also apppeared in Europe.

A Swedish loco building company,  Nyvqist and Holm, NOHAB, got a licence to build the double end  bull noses, and supplied then to Sweden, Denmark, Belgium, Luxemburg and Hungary.

The locos looked a bit different to those in North America and Australia, having shorter, snub, noses, and a more curved roof profile, but they did have the 'portholes!

At least one, M 61, is poreserved in running order in Hungary, and is very popular with the local rail fans, there are others preserved n other countries.

Models of these NOHAB locos appear in HO scale, by Fleischmann, and I think Roco, not sure about N scale.

Regards,

Bill,

Melbourne.

Minitrix and Kato have offered N scale models of the European NOHAB double cab engines, and Gopher Models in Australia have New South Wales 42 class, Victorian S class, and Commonwealth GM-12 class single cab "bulldogs" and Victorian Railways double cab B class models - all of which run very well.  

- Railtunes (Paul Ingraham)

Jugderdemidiin Gurragchaa

Auscision has released their N scale NR Class diesels this morning after previously teasing them late last year. I've been following their Facebook page closely waiting for the sales announcement.

I've ordered one for myself in the grey and orange National Rail livery.

NNR-1a_1024x1024.jpg?v=1683091501

They are quite pricey but the model quality does look good, AUD$295 for the DC version, $425 for the DCC sound variants.

https://www.australianmodeller.com.au/collections/auscision-models/n-scale?

Edited by Jugderdemidiin Gurragchaa