New competitor to Miniatur Wunderland touts largest HO and G model train layout in the world!

Yavianice

As most of us know, Miniatur Wunderland is an amazing place to go to in Hamburg. Amazing model train layout, fun for all ages, enormous and attracting tourists from all over the world. It is without a doubt, one of the largest tourist attractions in all of Hamburg. It especially benefits because of its central location and great accessibility with public transport.

However, Skiwelt Bispingen looked at that and thought they could do better.

Currently in development is the largest model train layout in the basement (?) of Skiwelt Bispingen, with approximately 600 m more train tracks than Miniatur Wunderland, 40 theme worlds, spread over approximately 10,000 m2. 500 trains are planned to run in HO and G scale.

The way they want to compete with the current Goliath of Miniatur Wunderland is their location, Bispingen, a small town just south of Hamburg, in the middle of nowhere, about 40 minutes by car from Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg, or at least 3 hours by public transport (involving at least 1 regional train and 3 different regional bus connections).

Scheduled to be opened in April this year.

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/leben/freizeit-bispingen-rekord-modelleisenbahn-soll-im-april-eroeffnet-werden-dpa.urn-newsml-dpa-com-20090101-200211-99-862424

Report of the construction

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 1

I think these are more miniatures, rather than specifically model train related. Correct me if i'm wrong. Also thanks for reminding me what I should visit during the upcoming trip 😉 

3 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

I think these are more miniatures, rather than specifically model train related. Correct me if i'm wrong. Also thanks for reminding me what I should visit during the upcoming trip 😉 

Yes, it looks like many other miniatures; but with some trains in the mix.