I need some help in finding a passanger car

Jimbo

I need some help in finding a passenger car,,   I cant remember if Kato or Tomix made it or makes it??   Its for the blue train ,, its a lighted dining car  with lighted table lamps,,?? I've drove myself crazy looking but just cant seem to find one?? I've missed something some where,,, Thanks

it was Tomix98638 set for the blue train, I've seen the car with the lighted table lamps,, but just cant seem to find it now??    I had to kind of piece this together  to get the the blue train that would fit my layout,, Thanks

Tomix didn’t make a dining car for your set but you can buy any other set - like the one I linked. Some people  are also selling the car separately on Yahoo Auctions if you are willing to go this way and use a proxy.

6 hours ago, disturbman said:

Tomix didn’t make a dining car for your set but you can buy any other set - like the one I linked. Some people  are also selling the car separately on Yahoo Auctions if you are willing to go this way and use a proxy.

yes I know thanks,, the hobby shop in Japan that I deal with checked for me,, they (the car) is sold out along with the lighting kit, an they don't know if an when it will be re stocked,    I did a quick check on e bay found one, but not at their price,,,  its a 25 dollar car out the door new,  I guess  Im not the only one who wants it Ha!!   Thanks for your time too

Jimbo,

A bit on sleeping car trains.

The important long-distance sleeping car trains were usually twelve or thirteen cars.

From the N scale model point of view, the manufacturers don't offer a full length set, they generally offer two sets, a 'basic' and an 'add on'.

The basic set, generally six cars, will have a power car, this provides the elec.power for a/c,lights, etc. throughout the train, also usually has a guards compartment.

The basic set will also have a filled in space for a locomotive, not supplied.

It will also have a dining car, and a tail end car, which is a sleeping car with a guards compartnent, and three sleeping cars of various types.

With this set one can make up a short, but correct sleeping car train

The add-on set will have seven cars, usually various types of sleeping cars and possibly a lounge or club car.

With the two sets one can make up a model of a full sized long distance sleeping car train, that is, if one has sufficent space on one's layout for a thirteen car train!

From what you wrote, I suspect that you have got an 'add on' set, which is why you don't have a dining car.

A couple of options.

(A) Buy the equivalent 'basic' set which will give you the dining car, and probably too many other cars.

(B) See if you can find in the various sales outlets, a dining car, this won't be easy as I don't remember ever seeing an individual dining car offered for sale.

Or, you could try for a second-hand model.

So if you're buying other pass car sets, check if there are basic and add-on sets, and if so buy the basic set, which gives you a short but correct train.

Regards, 

Bill,

Melbourne.

Disturbman, 

Thanks for that  info, at least Jimbo has  a power car  and a tail end car, but where can he get a dining car?

I wonder what the train name is, it should be on the case front, unusuasl for a sleeping car train to be without a dining car.

Regards, 

Bill,

Melbourne.

Folks, 

Checking a bit further, Jimbo's train is a Ltd. Express, Shin-Osaka to Oita in Kyushu, three names given: 'Comet'; 'Akashi'; 'Akatsuki'.

A bit unusual, no dining car on a quite long run.

The 'add on' cars are individually purchased cars and don't include a dining car.

Regards, 

Bill,

Melbourne.

Edited by disturbman

Thanks all for the info,,   Its a lobby car or restaurant  car, as far as I can find out??   Both Kato an Tomix  have them,, (or had them) they have small table lights in the windows,, there was a pic posted of the car,  Due to the size of my table I went with the  smaller amount of cars due to size wise, Everyone seems to be sold out of the car,, I did a check on e bay, ,found one but will not pay 400 bucks for a 25 dollar car,, that's just crazy!!!  I found one in the UK but no lights??  I found the box the cars came in  so have enclosed a pic of it,,   The hobby shop Ive been dealing with in Japan has checked an its out of stock, an couldn't find out when or if it will be back in stock again,,?? Its all a learning experience for me!!

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0232.JPG

Jimbo,

yeah sometimes these odder cars can get very expensive when out of production. No telling when things get rerun in japan. The Japanese manufactures rarely keep anything in long term stock, but do rerun them later, but no set or guaranteed schedules. So it unfortunately leads to if you see it and it’s in stock and want it get it as if you wait then it will be finding it used later and at times at a premium.

ebay is ok on regular Japanese stuff, not great on rarer stuff as it either slips by cheap as not that many looking carefully and usually listed wrong or folks ask absurd prices thinking they can get a fortune for it as it’s “imported”. The best option for finding odder pieces is yahoo.jp auctions using the proxy services as disturbman is talking about. Unfortunately yahoo.jp auctions are in Japanese and payment is very hard outside japan and almost none ship outside japan. To you use them you have to use a proxy service to bid for you then it’s shipped to the proxy and they ship it to you. Of course each of these steps has a fee involved like bid fee, usually a percentage of the win value, shipping fee to you, and sometimes a couple of other fees in there, and it can add up, but usually is one of the only ways to get stuff that never shows up on ebay or is absurdly priced there. Some need a deposit up front that they use to do your bids with and take out fees. Luckily the main ones speak English and some even have translations of the yahoo auction site to look thru (although searching with English terms doesn’t always get you all the results due to translation).

cheers

jeff

katoftw,

Yes, I was a bit surprised to see the English name 'Comet' used in the Hobby Search blurb, 'Suesei' should have been given instead.

'Akatsuki'  (Day Break) was the name used on the Korean Govt. Rlys crack express  from Pusan to Keijo (Seoul), connecting with the IGR pass. ferry across from Kyushu.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

6 hours ago, ben_issacs said:

'Akatsuki'  (Day Break) was the name used on the Korean Govt. Rlys crack express  from Pusan to Keijo (Seoul), connecting with the IGR pass. ferry across from Kyushu.

It was certainly used for that (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyeongbu_Line#History ) but the relevant train here is the one which ran in Kyushu: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akatsuki_(train)

I've gone a different way, didn't really want to, but I did,, Found a Tomix 92792 set, YUMEKUKAN HOKUTOSEI,,, (hope I spelled that right)  I have found e bay to be a big turn off on Japanese trains, ( I have found some nice locomotives though)  But as far as rolling stock way over priced,, I  did more searching an found this set in a hobby shop in Japan  for less then half the price of the ones listed on e bay, I e mailed them to be sure they had it an they said yes an will the rest is history, I should have it in my hands by the end of the week!!  The blue train will move to the outer loop,   Thank you all for your help

Ebay with Japanese trains requires some lurking to wait for stuff to come along at reasonable prices. Sadly many us sellers think Japanese trains are rare and expensive and others think they can just ask euro prices for Japanese trains and folks will pay for it as it’s “imported” and don’t know better.

jeff

• Like 1

Jimbo,

The Hokutosei was the crack sleeping car train, Tokyo-Sapporo, the Yume Kukan section was an adittional very luxurious set added to the Hokutosei at certain times.

One of the Yume K cars, the grey one, has only two compartments, each with a bath and double bed, very swish.

There is also a lounge car, with a piano, and the tail end green dining car, with table lamps!

Quite a long train , very impresive, the Y-K part also very expensive to travel in!.

In Hokkaido, Hakodate-Sapporo, it ran  with a blue and gold lined DD51 diesel hydraulic loco, perhaps two, otherwise, various electric locos.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

• Like 1

Thanks   I thought of the  DD51s  I do have one but its red,,   I was planning on using a EF66,, but I think I read a EF79? or EF510? Have two EF79s,an a EF510,, I guess its up to my preference?   I guess anything go's as long as it pulls the train at a good clip??    Tracking shows my car set some place in NY as of yesterday!!   Thanks everyone one for all the info!! 

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Thanks   I thought of the  DD51s  I do have one but its red,,   I was planning on using a EF66,, but I think I read a EF79? or EF510? Have two EF79s,an a EF510,, I guess its up to my preference?   I guess anything go's as long as it pulls the train at a good clip??    Tracking shows my car set some place in NY as of yesterday!!   Thanks everyone one for all the info!! 

If you want to be as close to prototype as possible, or just run it Jimbo's railway in the Japanese style, determines what locomotives you should be using.   Of course, any excuse to buy another locomotive or three works as well.