DCC decoder for KATO ED75-700

JanW

Hopefully somebody already solved this riddle and can help me!

I started to convert my lay-out to DCC control and doing tests with and playing around with DCC control using my N700A.  

Now I am at the stage to plan ahead and check how to convert my other rolling stock.  

I have small electric locomotive, the KATO ED75-700 (Kato 3075-3) that is not DCC friendly. In another topic I found that a similar model (the Kato 3075-1) may be fitted with the Digitrax DC163K0A. 
Does anybody know if this decoder may also be fitted in my 3075-3 ? 

Kato_3075-3.thumb.jpg.1752f20f47bda3071f098032b0fb352e.jpg

Many thanks!

Jan

The model is from 2016. So i would assume it has a drop in decoder option. Pop the shell ofc and have a look at the light board to match it to picks online.

2 hours ago, katoftw said:

The model is from 2016. So i would assume it has a drop in decoder option. Pop the shell ofc and have a look at the light board to match it to picks online.

Indeed, that's what I expected, however there is nothing in the manual about it. Below a picture on how it looks like inside.  The photo is the top view with the shell removed.  The shell has light conductors from the LEDs to the front and tail lights. 

IMG_7919.thumb.jpg.a4591dd07096efe4214140a70322b425.jpg

I would expect there is a replacement printed circuit board replacing the board labelled '3070', however haven't found anything yet. 

Jan

Edited by JanW

I recently purchased the Kato ED-76 (3013-2) and the board inside had a number 3066 on it. My original board looks a lot like yours. So i replaced it with the Digitrax DN163K4A and it works just fine on my DCC layout.

Peter

IMG_0434.JPG

• Thanks 1

That is the "thin" KATO control board and the Digitrax DN163K4A or a TCS K1D4 should work.  I've used the TCS in a few that use the thin KATO boards.

12 hours ago, biggulz said:

I recently purchased the Kato ED-76 (3013-2) and the board inside had a number 3066 on it. My original board looks a lot like yours. So i replaced it with the Digitrax DN163K4A and it works just fine on my DCC layout.

Peter

IMG_0434.JPG

Indeed, it looks similar but is not the same. The location of the LEDs should match the location on the original board exactly.  There may also be problems with the location of feeder pads. 

So I am worried it will not work.

• Like 1

In the mean time I found a small company in Okayama, Japan. This is the website: http://www.snjpn.com/ngdcc/indexj.htm.  

Mr  Shuhei Nagasue  produces various boards for Kato trains and engines, amongst other items.  

In my case he will provide his DE29x2_56K decoder board with, at extra cost, the LEDs soldered on it. See http://www.snjpn.com/ngdcc/de29/de29x2_56k.htm.

This board is an exact replacement for my original 3070 board (see his example of the conversion of an EF56 (Kato 3070-1) that also contains the 3070 board).

I will ask the spreadsheet (with all the decoder info) in this forum to be updated to contain this information .

Note that Mr Shuhei San also produces a board for the Tomix Cleaning car 6425. I ordered that one as well from him.

7 hours ago, JanW said:

Indeed, it looks similar but is not the same. The location of the LEDs should match the location on the original board exactly.  There may also be problems with the location of feeder pads. 

So I am worried it will not work.

Using a TCS or Digitrax often means repositioning LEDs.  Comes with the territory.  I would be very surprised if the pads are not correct.  Most of the KATO trains use one of two families of light boards (what I call the regular [translates to  DN163K0A] and thin [translates to DN163K4A] meaning the width)  where the major sub-divisions in those two families are basically variations in LED placement, but the main format of each family s the same with regards to pickup pads etc.  So you will see a few different KATO numbers that all look very similar and belong to the same family, but have different LED layouts. Those all use the same DIgitrax decoder or TCS decoder (family) and you need to adjust the LEDs to match.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, JanW said:

INote that Mr Shuhei San also produces a board for the Tomix Cleaning car 6425. I ordered that one as well from him.

There is also a German company that makes a replacement board for the Tomix cleaning car.  The replacement board allows you to use any 6 pin decoder (that physically fits the space).  Just another option.  Digitalzentrale though I can't find it on their website.  Model Seibnitz has it listed on theirs.  I have 2 of these boards and it allows you to use an NEM651 compatible 6-pin decoder.

• Thanks 1