A small station building?

Sheffie

I'm looking for a small station building to fit into my layout at the end of the DX one-sided platform.

EEA7EB31-FAD3-4462-A49E-2E9184B1B997.thumb.jpeg.d0e64cad31eb2a103a85460537d8300a.jpeg

Basically I want a way for passengers to get on and off the platform, and a station building seems like the obvious choice

But I'm very limited for space. The distance from the front of the platform to the back of the layout is just under 60mm (a distance that could be extended perhaps 10mm -- for the right kit -- if I move literally everything on the layout).

98796FA7-865F-4CEE-9E21-4B23A3163A96.thumb.jpeg.b2c677257dfd0283aa6af58b74b8089b.jpeg

I am prepared to consider all materials and difficulty levels, and I'll do kit-bashing if necessary, although the platform kit still feels rather shiny and new and I would rather not starting chopping it up if I don't need to. The obvious approach would be adjusting the height of the building to match the platform, then removing the end fencing and steps from the platform. That's assuming a building that has an obvious door or doors opening onto platform level.

Edited by Sheffie

Hmm, my inclination would be to take a plastic kit and cut it down to a shallow relief model, chopping down the side walls and roof so that they just reach to the back edge of the layout.

The Green Max Small Station would provide ample kitbash fodder to work with, or the taller one if you want more of a physical presence.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Cat said:

The Green Max Small Station would provide ample kitbash fodder to work with, or the taller one if you want more of a physical presence.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10182137 Not bad -- thanks!

It's a shame that the stairs are on the wrong side for my situation. That's the same problem I found with kato's station entrance kit (https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10003174 -- designed for an earlier generation of platform).

Edited by Sheffie
2 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

It's a shame that the stairs are on the wrong side for my situation. 

Because it is a plastic kit, that is easy enough to fix with a some dicing and splicing, smoothing over any visible spliced joint with a bit of putty.

• Like 1

This is a fairly straight-forward kitbash I did last month for our not-Japanese layout.  Shortened the frieght end a bit, adjusted the loading dock, and trimmed off the back edge of the roof so it will sit flush against the backdrop.  Replaced the back wall with a plain piece of styrene; that wall is in the bits box for any future kitbashing need.

FallerPackingKitbash.JPG

Edited by Cat
  • Like 1

Sheffie, 

Sankei stn. building F. 

This is an L shape, with the stn building at right angles to the track, 145mm wide, building length. by 106mm deep, end on to the tracks.

Might require a fiddle to the entrance steps.

Regards,

Bill,

Melbourne.

Sheffie,

You have two platforms, watever building you choose must connect with both platforms, therefore there will be a cross platform at the end of the two islands.

The width of this platform will control the width of the station buildingbehind it if you're short of space.

How about an overhead stn. building, there are some Kato ones that might be fiddleable, a couple are smallish, suitable for your railway.

Regards,

Bill, 

Melbourne.

4 hours ago, ben_issacs said:

You have two platforms, watever building you choose must connect with both platforms...

Actually, this isn’t necessary. Kato’s DX platform kit includes a little block containing stairs and an escalator going down. So the passengers can get from one platform to the other just fine. 

In fact, I would have been okay with waving my hand and saying that the passengers all enter/leave the station by an underground walkway — although I wish I could ask Kato whether they ever intended to connect a station building to the DX system, and if so, what happened to it. 

But I went and bought a bus. 

Now the only place on my entire layout where it makes sense to put a bus model would be in front of a station building. So a hand-waving “passenger access is somewhere offstage” is no longer good enough for me. I need to show a plausible route for people to get from the bus to the platform. Hence my search for an entrance building. 

2 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

Actually, this isn’t necessary. Kato’s DX platform kit includes a little block containing stairs and an escalator going down. So the passengers can get from one platform to the other just fine. 

Tomix also has that feature on a number of their platforms and islands. 

We'll be chopping this one down to Shorty length to use for Ôarai station.
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10442448

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ben_issacs said:

Sankei stn. building F. 

This is an L shape, with the stn building at right angles to the track, 145mm wide, building length. by 106mm deep, end on to the tracks.

Might require a fiddle to the entrance steps.

Thanks for this suggestion. A card kit certainly seems like it would be more susceptible to modifications. 

1 minute ago, Sheffie said:

Thanks for this suggestion. A card kit certainly seems like it would be more susceptible to modifications. 

Sankei card kits are much more 'expert level' than say Metcalfe Models from the UK.

My wife started on one but had to stop so I could finish it.  She's not as near-sighted nor as steady with an XActo knife as I am.  They could be kitbashed, but I would definitely suggest building a stock kit of something first to get the feel of how fiddly they are.

Steffie,

Had a look at the Kato DX kits, they do give platform to platform access by stairs to  a subway, but there's no access to this subway from a station building, unless you put a small station building alongside the tracks and say that there are escalators, lift or whatever inside this building down to the subway.

Still reckon that a small overhead station would be better, little space taken up at ground level for a station building, only the entry to the stairs and or lift.

And without the ground level station building, you could probably extend your stub tracks for an additional car length.

You could still have your Kato DX platforms with their down going stairs for an alternative platform to platform access, as well as the overhead arrangement.

Regards, 

Bill,

Melbourne.