Position of traffic lights at crossroads

Madsing

I have a question regarding the position of traffic lights at crossroads (in Japan of course). I have an intricate crossroad at the center of my layout and I don't know how to position the traffic lights.

Are they before the crossing (like in Europe) or on the other side? I have checked many places on Google maps street view and it is not clear. I often see traffic lights on the right side of the road!

Any clue? Thanks.

1734770840_Screenshot2020-02-02at10_09_54PM.thumb.png.f3e078b7899476488fe91c4eb5c30f42.png

• Like 1

Usually (in Tokyo at least), on crossings of two-lane roads, in the direction of travel there will be two poles with traffic lights, each pole will have a set of lights on either side for better visibility.

This is a a fairly typical setup:

https://goo.gl/maps/tTWBLy9yAtqr6UX96

Note that in photographs, including Street View, often sets of lights will appear to be blank, this is due to the use of LED units.

• Like 2

Here is a poor shot of a crossing on the Toden Sakura Line. Looked for pics to help you on the Sakura Line but not much found.

Meiji-Dori crosswalk in front of Asukayama police box next to Asukayama Station Toden Sakura Line (AKA Arakawa Line) Station is behind the tram. 12 Aug 2019

DlIAf06.jpg

Nishi-Taishido #5 crossing/Kannana-Dori Wakabayashi Crossing Setagaya Line. Wakabayashi Station is to the left of the Camera. 14 Feb 2020

Qghtg46.jpg

Nishi-Taishido #5 crossing/Knana-Dori Wakabayashi Crossing Setagaya Line. From the other side of the street. Wakabayashi Station is to the left and across the street of the camera. 2 Jan 2020

Fg1leXT.jpg

Nishi-Taishido #5 crossing/Knana-Dori Wakabayashi Crossing Setagaya Line. Wakabayashi Station is behind the tram. 17 Aug 2019.

aC1vEfL.jpg

Grant

• Like 2

Thank you very much Grant. That's useful.

Based on these photos, this is where I'd put traffic lights. I am not very sure yet, especially for the two traffic lights that I have highlighted in red. I think that they would be useful, but they stand before the junction.

1299377035_Screenshot2020-02-23at10_12_14PM.thumb.jpg.9b54c91ddb63bf049a9f53dd8ad731df.jpg