On My Workbench

marknewton

marknewton

Thanks! 👍 

Which destination signs are you asking about, the ones on the sides or those above the cab?

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

I was wondering about the cab signs.  The HO kato Kiha 58s have stickers that you have to cut out for that display, which I'm not very fond of.

Yeah the Kato ones have to be cut as close to the solid outline as possible to remove it. If you leave any of the outside edge they tend not to fit in the recesses. I’m slightly dreading the round ones that come with the 20 series.

marknewton

When I'm adding the cab destination signs to the KiHa58s I cut them oversize, stick them to the plastic block, then use that as a guide to trim them to the finished size. Probably easier to make a short video to show what I mean. I'll try that tomorrow.

Tonight I experimented with some "cheap and cheerful" weathering on my OneMile SeRa1 hopper wagons. I want them to look grubby and well used, but I don't want to devote hours of painstaking work to achieve that, as they'll only ever be seen in passing. So I used the Tamiya weathering powders on one wagon as a trial. I used the three colours roughly blended with the Tamiya applicator, then toned the powder down with a wash of neat isopropyl alcohol. I think it's an effective technique for a layout model that will only be seen from a few feet away.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 5