Jump to content
marknewton

On My Workbench

Recommended Posts

disturbman

Thanks @cteno4, I don't think humidity is actually much of an issue in Berlin - at least in my apartment. I was thinking of covering the sides with some kind of bookbinding book cover type of paper to seal them and act as a sort of fascia. My partner built us some kitchen drawers using similar materials five years ago and they are still in pristine shape. No bending or anything. Though I believed she used a slightly thicker paperboard.

Would you treat the base before adding the cork? I'll have to figure out what "acrylic medium" is in German. It's not always easy to make that kind of conversions.

Share this post


Link to post
Yavaris Forge
On 10/5/2020 at 9:44 AM, marknewton said:

spacer.png

 

This would make a fine bungalow-train😁

Share this post


Link to post
cteno4

@disturbmanThat’s good if the apartment is pretty climate controlled. I’ve just learned to seal up papercraft with lacquer to stop this just in case it ever gets humidity.

 

cork on top should protect it from scenery moisture. You might also see if the local flooring shop that does installing has any scrap cork under laminate. They usually just toss all the small pieces.
 

yeah lots of contact papers that would be simple and cheap to pretty up the edges. On these I would cut large and press on and then trim excess off and wrap around as much as you can. There’s also wood veneers that can really look pretty but those are more expensive and a pain to apply on wider edges like this.

 

acrylic medium is the general term (it’s the clear paint base for most household acrylic paints), the art supply term is matte medium or gloss medium. You can buy the clear acrylic base at paint stores but it usually has some talc and other stuff for blending in color pigments that can make the clear a bit cloudy when it dried and make things like ballast look like it’s dusty. Matte medium doesn’t have this stuff in it and is the usual one for scenery as it disappears on ground foam, ballast, etc. it’s my all around scenery glue as it’s stable and a bit flexible, not rock hard like PVA. Dilutes well for spraying or dripping applications. Art store stuff is expensive as very stable for archival life. Craft store usually has a cheaper form, a popular one world wide is mod podge brand name by Plaid. They have a whole line of acrylic mediums for doing craft/art stuff. Probably not as perfect as artist matte medium but we need a decade or two not a century! https://plaidonline.com/brands/mod-podge
 

jeff

Share this post


Link to post
marknewton
On 10/14/2020 at 3:05 PM, cteno4 said:

Mark, if you want thinner 3m makes a transfer adhesive. Basically just the adhesive bit of the double stick tape. Works and apply the same way just no backing film in the middle so as thin as can be and squeezes into all the nooks and crannies well since no backing film in the middle...


Jeff, since reading your post I had another look at what I've been using. It's actually the stuff you're describing, the transfer adhesive. I shouldn't have described it as double-sided tape, but I didn't know any better. I hope I haven't caused anyone to go and buy that instead.

 

spacer.png

 

Thanks for the correction!

 

All the best,

 

Mark.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
cteno4

Mark,

 

great, it’s great stuff and the thinnest you can get. It really sticks when a lot of pressure is applied as it really squeezes into all the nooks and crannies like glue due to no backing and it can be more malleable than the double stick tapes.
 

jeff

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Kamome

Spent some time numbering and adding coach numbers to the remaining 7 of the 25 series 0 blue train coaches. I then masked up the coach leaving only a small area around the dry transfer and apply some semi gloss topcoat.

 

C5DBD8DC-2057-45CF-A82B-00F530AA78F3.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
marknewton

In response to a challenge presented on the only other railway modelling forum I belong to, I'm finishing some passenger car kits I started ages ago. One of them is a MaNi50 made by Neko Publishing, the others are some older SuRo34 and SuHaNi31 clerestory roof cars made by Max Models.

 

spacer.png
 

I managed to get a fair bit done today. The roofs  and underframes are painted.

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

Both were painted with Tamiya rattlecans. The roofs are TS23 USN Haze Grey, and the underframes are TS82 Rubber Black. The black is a recent addition to the Tamiya range. I think it makes a nice basis for a slightly weathered black finish, and I also think I'll be using it a lot in future.

 

Ive added handrails and door knobs to the car bodies, and installed vestibule doors using leftover parts from some Tramway coaches I detailed a few months back.

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png


Still to add are the downpipes from the gutters, and the diaphragms and their attachments.

 

Cheers,

 

Mark.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Martijn Meerts

Looking good, quite a lot of details on those kits. That rubber black is interesting, it looks very blue on the picture 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...