On My Workbench

marknewton

I finished work early this evening so I had a chance to do some more tinkering on the BC models. I've fitted the IMON couplers to the Alstom diesel loco. On the model as supplied the couplers are mounted on the bogies, which I don't like at all. So I've carefully cut off the extensions that the original couplers were attached to, and fitted the new couplers to the frame. I made a very crude jig to establish the correct height to mount them, and to ensure consistency with other stock.

The first photo shows the modified bogie, and the new motor and flycranks made by Narrow Gauge forum member Sven under the "Tramfabriek" label.  Once I've finished fitting couplers these will be the next parts to be added.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2
On 3/28/2021 at 5:12 PM, Kamome said:

Apologies  Mark. We don’t all have your hands on knowledge and I did know they were air brake hoses.

Nothing to apologise for, Kamome. I figured you'd know what they were. My comment was more for anyone reading who didn't know that JNR used air brake. Also, I'd spent the day teaching a refresher/upskill class on Westinghouse, so it was very fresh in my mind. 😉

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 2

It’s Showa Day so off work. In typical British public holiday weather fashion, it’s raining so turning my attention to my Tomix Taki 1900s kits (HO-737) which have been sitting around for a while. One almost ready to paint to check for any possible construction issues. Other three starting to catch up so i can paint all 4 at the same time.

These kits don’t have much movement on the bogies as the wheel flanges seem to foul a number of details under frame. I hope they can navigate at least R730 corners.

0A6BB465-142D-4614-800B-F8EE5C56C38B.jpeg

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 3

Thanks to Shigemon for his Youtube video on making these. 

A4 Document Box ¥200

Airtight Tape (for draft exclusion) ¥100 for 2 metres.10EA8BAE-8BC2-4449-93F6-BDA1196BB2E6.thumb.jpeg.2c30d65e1a89825c091e52404ad2be95.jpeg

Space saving for taking HO stock to the rental layout.2F5C204C-A323-4D19-AF54-E259FA692C70.thumb.jpeg.8ff23dc31ae390a3e06cfef30be0fec6.jpeg

Shigemon got 5x 12系 coaches but with 4 there’s more sponge to protect the coaches in transit. 13B5E246-5A64-4A5F-8C6E-9DDD6D0E306F.thumb.jpeg.657d8b5338427de72513e9f21c44cab4.jpeg

• Like 4

Sometimes the smallest additions can make a big difference to the look of a model.

Not content with the very plastic look of the coal bunker on the Tenshodo 9600, i added a small layer of Woodland Scenics real coal (fine and lump mixed)

I’m a lot happier with the look of it now.

D22937E2-898C-4DCC-91C3-5088508CB1D1.jpeg

EB3CD173-4D0A-467D-B157-A3261BD57C8A.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That looks great Kamome, I may have to do that with my HO steam.  What method did you use to the secure the coal?  The 50/50 mix looks perfect, it's just missing some spilled coal on the rear tender deck!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

That looks great Kamome, I may have to do that with my HO steam.  What method did you use to the secure the coal?  The 50/50 mix looks perfect, it's just missing some spilled coal on the rear tender deck!

Thanks Kiha

I just used some scenic cement i had kicking around applied with a brush, then material sprinkled over the top. Once in place, then added more scenic cement with a dropper. The lump coal is probably big for scale for HO steam engines but looks better than just fine.

I actually avoided getting any spill using masking tape to keep a pristine look for now. If i weather the loco i might add some spilled coal and water spills etc..

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, I’m starting to wonder if Im posting too much on this thread.

The last 4 Kiha 80s arrived, courtesy of Jefu Bezosu san. I’m always conscious to look at other options first but Amazon Japan was the only place I found with 4 and I needed 4. I was wondering whether i should proceed with a second motor unit and 3 dummy cars but eventually decided to get 4 dummies as i don’t think i’ll run 2 separate 82s, but rather have a longer consist. I have a 2nd motor unit which powers the Kiha 81 Tsubasa.

So i set to work on numbering all 12 cars, ensuring i don’t replicate any numbers from my 7 car Kiha 81 consist. Possibly a sign of the onset of Rivet counter syndrome. 

Anyway, next is the panel lining with a mix of diluted dark brown and black Panel Line accent. Adding decals to 0.1mm Tamiya Plastic Paper and then trimming and glueing into position.

I would like to paint the seating a darker blue in the future, once i sort out some coach lighting. I need to find some white tape or something to add the plastic head rest covers as i don’t fancy painting them all white and then masking before the blue paint goes on. Either way, 12 coaches will take some dedication and the blue plastic seating is too light a colour.

I will eventually airbrush a dirt colour on to the underside and i really don’t think the roofs or rooves (to be archaic) were silver on these for very long. 

7A46CCDC-BFB5-4891-A9ED-B02913778A4E.jpeg

CC27CEDB-71AB-4C48-A8D7-A11788EAD8A6.jpeg

9C01FF4D-860F-4B3C-A40E-F10E62DE46EC.jpeg

3A076D29-57A7-4BCE-B7D7-58DF34845F71.jpeg

This video has given some inspiration of the Matsukaze, especially nice to see the old Amarube Viaduct in Hyogo. 

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
9 hours ago, Kamome said:

not at all, great stuff! I always drool at the level of detail possible just doubling the scale!

If you have a larger, long term project on a particular model that you want to add more steps and ongoing description to the  best to give it its own project thread so it doesn’t get lost in the longer general posts like this.

cheers

jeff

• Thanks 1
disturbman
11 hours ago, Kamome said:

I would like to paint the seating a darker blue in the future, once i sort out some coach lighting. I need to find some white tape or something to add the plastic head rest covers as i don’t fancy painting them all white and then masking before the blue paint goes on.

White washi tape? Washi tape has a slight texture that I think could look good in context. Though there is a chance the blue could slightly shine trough. But it's really easy to work with, cut to shape, and replace. It also can hold quite a long time.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your recommendations @disturbman

I conveniently came across some washi tape in my local bookshop as my boys were catching up with the exploits of Oshiri-Tantei (the arse detective) A lot less sinister and more child friendly than it sounds.

Anyway, extremely inexpensive and comes in numerous widths for which i think might be ideal. 3mm for the slim standard class seating head-rests and 6mm for the larger green car seat covers.  

A2A72DD1-2A84-4B7C-BFE3-A4D41D1F7AB7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 5/5/2021 at 1:46 PM, Kamome said:

The lump coal is probably big for scale for HO steam engines but looks better than just fine.

I think it looks about right. If your crews find the coal is too big to manage, part of the loco's tool kit is a coal pick to break up the lumps into more manageable sizes. Been there, done that! 😉

All the best,

Mark.

On 5/22/2021 at 6:22 PM, Kamome said:

Not at all. I think it's great to see what other folks are doing with their models, and your Kihas really look good with the details and paint.

Cheers,

Mark.

After taking the new D51 for a test running session at the club, I spent a couple of hours adding the various number plates and stencils. I've also replaced the front coupler with a scale-head Kadee, which I think looks much better. All that's left to do is to put some coal in the tender and some light weathering. I was in two minds about blowing the budget on this engine, but now it's done I'm very happy I did.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 7

Numbers and details added to the Tenshodo ChiKi5500 and Tramway ChiKi7000

spacer.png

Same done with the Model Icon TaKi5450s.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 12

I finally got around to doing some work on my Tenshodo Tokyu 7200 series EMUs. I've fitted them with the new Tenshodo coreless power trucks and metal trailer wheels. The supplied pantographs are static plastic parts, so they've been replaced with working metal pans. I'll eventually fit a decoder, once I've finished all the numbering, detailing and done some running in. Incidentally, the Tomix Sumitomo couplers clip straight onto the underframe.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 8

Thanks Jeff, I'm very happy that I got these. I really like fluted stainless steel cars.

Early last year I bought some Tramway kits of JNR ReMu 5000 and ReMu 6000 refrigerator cars. I put them to one side when they arrived, and promptly managed to forget I'd bought them. While searching for something entirely unrelated today I found them, so I thought I'd make a start on building one of each type. The ReMu 5000 has fewer ribs on the roof than the 6000.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 5

Those look great mark!  I've been tempted to pick up a pair myself.  Do they require painting or do they come prepainted? 

• Like 1

Kiha, the kits are available painted or unpainted. I chose the painted versions - I'm lazy! 🙄

All the best,

Mark.

• Thanks 1
The Birmingham train spotter

Morning all I've just been doing a Check up on Each of my model trains....This one is 60163 " Tornado " and it's missing it's front Buffer....Should get a replacement one by Next week..and I may be getting a N Gauge Japanese Freight Locomotive in 2 Months....

1628682732138-913012485.jpg

1628682749038252959632.jpg

1628682793942922381314.jpg

16286828206001810733963.jpg

• Like 2

Two refrigerator cars finished. I must remember to turn the calendar over to September! 🙄

spacer.png

And tonight's project, applying numbers and detail parts to my Tramway KiHa48s:

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 7

Those Kiha cars look really nice, how difficult was applying the destination signs?  I'm hoping to score a pair when they do a rerun in a few months.