Tomytec Bus Automation on the Yukari layout

Madsing

Frank Blascheck

Photos I inserted should now be visible.

Which electromagnet you used 5V or 12V has an exact designation. 

Can you maybe give me a list of the parts I need.

すごいね!

Wow! I just found this thread. There's a lot of great engineering going on here. Well done and thanks for sharing.

Edited by tossedman
  • Like 1
On 1/2/2021 at 9:35 PM, Frank Blascheck said:

Which electromagnet you used 5V or 12V has an exact designation. 

I use 20/15 suction 2.5KG 25N mini electromagnet solenoids.

This is the link to purchase them: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32815809960.html

20/15 means 20x15mm. From this page you can purchase three versions: 6V, 12V and 24V. I use the 24V version, but I power it with 5V only. The reason I do this is to reduce the heat dissipation. The 24 volt version has a resistance of 93Ω, so the current at 5 volts will be around 50mA.

I have uploaded the schematics of the bus blocks. The magnet is connected to JP3. It is controlled by an ATTiny 85 microcontroller (on the left), but of course you can use any way you want. The microcontrollers are connected to a Raspberry Pi using an I2C bus. The right part of the schematics is the hall sensor (OH3144) to detect the arrival of the bus.

1052972798_Screenshot2021-01-04at9_45_20AM.thumb.png.8b23d98c2a0744b595c455792f35e251.png

YukariBusBlockSCH.pdf

Two years and five months ago, I managed to control a Tomytec bus by using an electromagnet under the road. I am now happy to report that I have finally been able to move the modules of the main street, bus interchange and Iwasehama station to the layout. All the wires for the bus control blocks, the hundreds of LED lights, the signals and the tracks are connected and everything seems to work fine. Well, not everything. There are still so many things to improve. These buses sometimes seem to have a mind of their own!

Next (major) step: finish the tram layout, and make sure that trams and buses don't collide! For that, I'll have to teach the Raspberry Pi Python application controlling the buses to talk to Rocrail! Interesting challenge.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Madsing said:

Two years and five months ago, I managed to control a Tomytec bus by using an electromagnet under the road. I am now happy to report that I have finally been able to move the modules of the main street, bus interchange and Iwasehama station to the layout. All the wires for the bus control blocks, the hundreds of LED lights, the signals and the tracks are connected and everything seems to work fine. Well, not everything. There are still so many things to improve. These buses sometimes seem to have a mind of their own!

Next (major) step: finish the tram layout, and make sure that trams and buses don't collide! For that, I'll have to teach the Raspberry Pi Python application controlling the buses to talk to Rocrail! Interesting challenge.

That's nice.

Put Rocrail on the Raspberry Pi and then use the GPIO to interface between the two.

Inobu

• Like 1

Yes. Rocrail already runs on a Raspberry Pi and I am sure I can make it work with GPIOs. Alternatively, Rocrail also supports the MQTT service for exchanging commands and status messages and I think I could use it here.

I am still very much amazed at all those details in your layout... those lighted head and tail lights, the blinking indicator lights, the light poles, the traffic light signals... simply amazing! 

Would u be lighting up the buildings too? It will certainly be lovely! Really love how this layout looks! 

• Like 1

Thank you!

Yes. None of the buildings on that street has been detailed yet, and I have great plans for them 😀, such as adding "giant" displays, lights, making an Apple store, a McDonald's restaurant, or detailing the Eneos petrol station. Work for the next ten years 😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1