Tomytec Bus Automation on the Yukari layout

Madsing

I have simply measured the thickness of the Tomix bus track between the road surface and the bottom of the groove that holds the wire: 

IMG_2054.thumb.jpeg.8822d0a224bec0e5741c1d6fbb38162d.jpeg

I use this wire:

IMG_2052.thumb.jpeg.79c8e66eaa0cfabc1d1856f101969ea2.jpegIMG_2051.thumb.jpeg.2f804938ca7a9bd343bf02d07d6bd9d6.jpeg

And I tape it under two sheets of styrene (0.40mm + 0.25mm):

IMG_2053.thumb.jpeg.7b3bda2db7c4efd4e6cb0f5c7d919f1f.jpeg

The result is a track that is very reliable. No problem at all.

I didn't run any particular test about the minimum turn radius. On the first video that I posted, the minimum turn radius is exactly 60mm and I didn't have any problem. On the layout I think it is a bit larger, 70mm.

• Like 3

I did the same with the faller busses playing with all the fun things of reversing loops, points and more realistic corners. I was using 040 styrene but the faller steering magnets are not as good as the Tomytec.

I found I could get a bit better radius turns by not doing a smooth arc, but by doing the usual bus swing wider at the start and then cut back in. It ends up a sort of bulged arc that goes into other lanes a little (but real busses do this on tight spots) but makes it get around square corners with narrower streets. It took me awhile to get the right easements and bulge but finally got what I liked! I’ll see if I can dig up the videos, kind of remember posting them here somewhere a long time back. Never did get to adding them to the Ttrak streetcar and making a bus express lane, someday.

that galvanized wire is what I found worked best for me as well, mine was floral wire. Some wires did not work as well with the magnets.

love what you are doing with the automation of all this!

cheers,

jeff

• Like 1

Good idea! I like the idea of not doing a smooth arc, I have to experiment more with that . As you say, it's not easy to get it right, i.e. get a natural, "looking right" path for the bus.

Search on model railroading sites for "transition curve" or "easement curve." There are actually templates based on formulas for these, as used by the real railroads and trolley/tram lines.  Buses do it automatically, since it takes time for the driver to crank the steering wheel around, and then crank it back to straight when leaving the curve. Many model railroaders simply use a flexible yard/meter stick (or similar), bend it on the layout to the curve radius and let the end of it curve out wider on its own, then run a pencil along that curve.

Rich K.

Edited by brill27mcb

Rich,

what actually worked best for the bus to navigate a tight corner was also adding a bulge where you swing a bit wide over the lane line then come around. This lets the bus get bit further from the curb corner to cut its minimum curve then the same going into the street on the other side of the curve a bit wide and then swing back into the lane.Not really a smooth easement. 

jeff

• Like 3
On 3/8/2020 at 11:02 PM, Madsing said:

Next step: the bus interchange. I have built a switch for the bus: a servo motor moves the guide wire towards one of the two positions.

It works 🙂 

Excellent project! Lost of details and good work on it.

Your idea for a turnout is interesting. Sometime ago, I made my bus turnouts with servos as well.

The design is a bit different but same principle (also using Arduino instead of Raspberry pi).

Keep it up!

NX:

• Like 5
On 6/9/2020 at 8:05 PM, Madsing said:

I didn't run any particular test about the minimum turn radius. On the first video that I posted, the minimum turn radius is exactly 60mm and I didn't have any problem. On the layout I think it is a bit larger, 70mm.

I’d like to clarify that statement:

• 66mm radius (Tomytec C66 bus track) is valid only for buses using BM-01 or BM-02. These are the smaller (shorter) buses. 
  • Buses using the BM-03 motor are generally faster and the design of their front wheels is very different. Based on my tests, their minimum turn radius is 90mm (or at least C103 if using Tomytec bus tracks). 

This is amazing. It just adds another whole dimension to the layout. The automation seems to run very smoothly. 

Impressive stuff.

This weekend for the first time I tested the bus track with a complete loop.

Overall, I'm happy with the results. There is still a lot of debugging to do:

• Some of the buses are too fast and don't always stop when they should. I have measured their speed and found out that it ranges between 44 and 80 mm/s (that's between 24 and 43 km/h), with fresh batteries.
  • The wire track needs to be rectified at some places.

• Like 10

I just got a bunch of PIC's to do something like this. I can't find the buses but this is great.  

There is a secondary magnetic switch that increases the speed check those.

For the fast one just make them the Express bus and by pass some stops.

Inobu

• Like 1

This is just plain beautiful!

Out of curiosity, why are using the color coding Instead of just alternating? Or each of the bus stops actually marked for which bus service they are for?

Alternately, it seems to me that you shouldn’t need colors anyway if they’re queuing up ahead of the “turnout”?

That's a good question. Honestly, I initially just wanted to experiment with the color sensor. I thought it would be a good way to identify trains if I ever needed to. I also thought that it would be more prototypical if buses always stopped at the same places.

Then I discovered that the minimum turning radius of the MB-03 is much larger than the MB-01 and MB-02, and buses fitted with the MB-03 cannot make the sharp turn to the inner bus stop. So I used the color tag to make sure that all MB-03 buses use the outer bus stop.

Finally, I have modelled one of the bus stops as a "Friendly Airport Limousine" (https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/) bus stop. As I have just purchased a Tomytec JB021-2 (https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10626301) I thought it would be a good idea if only this bus stopped there. To achieve that, I will have to improve the software to keep track of the buses along the route, not just before the switch. I will also have to find a way to fit a motor into the JB021-2. The distance between its wheels is 37mm. Too long for an MB-02, too short for an MB-03...

IMG_2045.thumb.jpeg.cc4bbecbecc8ca3f788d518d25b14f7c.jpegIMG_2042.thumb.jpeg.df5556a4bcf9923363f8b50e97e03c1e.jpeg

• Like 8

Nice!

I like that idea of adding a completely separate stop only one train bus stops at, if you didn't already have a high level of detail in operations, that takes over the top definitely.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason (other than cost) that you decided to go with battery versions over the lithium BM chassis?

Oh wow... simply... 

I cant begin to say how amazing this is!!!! As a bus lover, this just blows my mind off! Truly amazing work!

Man i wished i had skills like you.... 

Tonytramman

as has been said , this is amazing and very inspirational. I have no idea how to do it but definitely want some bus operation in the future.

18 hours ago, defor said:

Out of curiosity, is there a reason (other than cost) that you decided to go with battery versions over the lithium BM chassis?

I live in Asia and I have purchased most of the BM in Japan. I have never actually seen the lithium version, even online for example from Hobby Search. Can you tell me more about this version? Where is it available? Thanks!

Issue with the lithium is also keeping them topped up charge wise as these small wafer cells don’t like to be left discharged for long periods. Inobu had some that did not want to recharge after being discharged for a few months and had to do a dangerous over voltage to get them going again, but it can cause the lithium cell to pop or worse catch fire! I did remember looking at the lithium cells they used and it looked like they could be sourced pretty easily to replace if needed.

jeff

• Like 1
Frank Blascheck

Hello, I'm new to the forum, sorry, my language, I translated via Google, I only speak German.
I'm a big fan of the Tomytec bus system and have already installed it on my model railroad.
I myself have buses with a battery and a Lipo and have now come up with this great idea. Which I would also like to build afterwards.

my greatest respect to the builder.

• Like 2

Hello Frank, welcome to the forum. Please share ideas, photos or videos of your layout, we are all eager to discover what you are doing!

I am still working on the main street with the Tomytec bus system. I have spent the past six months fitting it with cars and working on other details but it's almost time to move it to the actual layout. I'll post another video when it's done!.

Marc

3 hours ago, Frank Blascheck said:

Hello, I'm new to the forum, sorry, my language, I translated via Google, I only speak German.
I'm a big fan of the Tomytec bus system and have already installed it on my model railroad.
I myself have buses with a battery and a Lipo and have now come up with this great idea. Which I would also like to build afterwards.

my greatest respect to the builder.

Hi Frank welcome to the forums! 

Yeah Marc is really good with electronics and programming and his work with the bus system is just super! Do share your collection of buses with us too!  🙂

Frank Blascheck

Mein aktuelles Projekt führt das normale Starterpaket aus dem Tomytec-Bus und die Straßenbahn mit Shuttle-Zugsteuerung (NE555 + LM317T).
Meine Modelleisenbahn selbst ist analog zu Handsteuerungen, die ich selbst gehört habe.
Die Platte ist modular aufgebaut.
Wo ein Güterbahnhof wird und soll mit einer anderen Buslinie wie einer Straßenbahn.
Die Bussteuerung wurde dann wie Ihre werden. Daher gehört ich gerne weitere Informationen zu den gleichen Bauteilen.

101a.thumb.jpg.5825dad19412832952459b9eb230c233.jpg

102a.thumb.jpg.af76b80fc2462d2333969eca2d6a30df.jpg

103a.thumb.jpg.9a644a2c17ac828c977da54185eb2b01.jpg

104a.thumb.jpg.e5da370f041ed57c8e60cbba0842e5ca.jpg

google translated:

My current project leads the normal starter package from the Tomytec bus and the tram with shuttle train control (NE555 + LM317T).
My model railway itself is analogous to hand controls that I have heard myself.
The plate has a modular structure.
Where a freight yard is and should be with another bus line such as a tram.
The bus controller would then become like yours. Therefore, I would like to hear more information on the same components.

Edited by Frank Blascheck
  • Like 1