Hello from Atlanta, GA, USA!

POLO

Hello everyone,

I was researching on how to build my first Sinkansen viaduct layout and came across this forum. I saw some great articles on KATO trains and wanted to join in!

I saw this layout at my Tokyo hotel and I instantly wanted to build it for my own (https://imgur.com/a/fuxYxli). I am new to N scale and would really appreciate any information on how to build the base layers toa city scape layout with subway in N scale.

My father put an LGB layout in front of me when I was a toddler and I grew up with it and loved it. I still love the scale and started my own collection to build my own garden railway. I bought and amassed a nice sized collection of the LGB RhB with Catenary dating back to the 1980's with full metal posts, but it will be a few years before I can landscape and be able to build the first loop for that layout. 

Now I wish to build my N scale layout on a 4x12 platform to replicate and have fun with the KATO line I did buy the KATO M2 and 2x Viaduct sets with the viaduct station and all the accessories from Trains.com, which I will pick up this week. Also the new 10-1174 set (N700A) shipped from Japan, because that is what I rode when I was there in December.

If you have any feedback on how to build the N scale table, I would be grateful! I am a mechanical engineer and looking forward to building my own self leveling feet with large all-thread with big washers and nuts to level everything out, but don't know if I should go with a standard plywood base, or a better option before the foam layer. I honestly don't know, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

My previous experience 

• Like 3

Welcome polo,

glad you found us.

many ways to go at what you are thinking. Start a thread in the layout forum with some of the ideas of what you are thinking of as far as size, scenes, track, etc you want to do and folks can give you some ideas. As chat mentioned look thru the layout planning and building forums for ideas as well.

looking forward to what you come up with!

cheers,

jeff

• Like 1

Hello and welcome!

I will warn you that even for a tall person a four foot deep layout is too deep. It’s okay if you can easily walk around the back, but otherwise it isn’t practical. 

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 1