nah00

Mitakihara Diary

nah00

So this is something I've always wanted to and my recent bout of frustration led to me to want to do something positive so I decided to more fully share my layout, Mitakihara. I called this thread Mitakihara Diary because I have a lot of 'in progress' pictures that I want to go back to and post from the layout's humble dining room table beginnings to where it is now. As for now though I'll post some pictures of the layout as it is now and revisit this thread with some of the early photos and updates on the layout.

IMG_1185.JPG

First thing you see when viewing the layout is Kazemino, a seaside town home to a station and a container yard. Also of note is my 'unique' way of storing rolling stock. An EF81 rolls through in this shot.

IMG_1186.thumb.JPG.a9346daab5d19eaef226b0d8dce8a929.JPG

The end of the yard has an engine depot and truck loading facility. I'm still working on ways to improve the truck dock and I kind of regret the placement of the engine depot as it is hard to get to but if I use it as a car shop instead it makes sense. Also in view is the Mitsurugi refinery and the as-yet-unnamed small town next to it.

IMG_1187.thumb.JPG.4b04ed0f3775ae7645818f28575c7c61.JPG

A better view of the unnamed town. I used to have a grain elevator here for some reason and it saw very little use (turns out industrial switching isn't as fun as I thought). About the same time I was wondering what to do with these tracks I realized I had a bunch of DMUs and EMUs that didn't have a smallish station to go to and that adding one would give the up-and-over track more use (visible in the background). Overall I'm very happy with the change but need to add a bridge since currently the residents are stranded. Believe it or not keeping track of the switches without a panel isn't too tough.

IMG_1188.thumb.JPG.056eb62a357fe2cc95ce89f79b998a1f.JPG

Better view of Mitsurugi refinery. Evidently this refinery produces LPG, gasoline and chlorine... The silver gas tank behind the three smokestacks isn't something you missed from the diorama collection, I messed up the legs on one (glued the X-supports in upside-down) so it required some disassembly that also made it need a new paint job. Also the wall sections will eventually glued down and the wall itself is made out of a piece of finish cut to sections.

IMG_1189.thumb.JPG.9e0a76aecc9e0dad4ec4eb57eac858cc.JPG

Going to the other side, one my favorite scenes I've made so far, the greenhouse and orchard.

IMG_1190.thumb.JPG.a7f8941fe14173b03316e9c36567c135.JPG

The focus in this one is weird but I like it, the container yard at Mitakihara. Part of me wishes I had flipped the layout at some point and had the station on this end but I would like to update to Kato's wireless controller for at least this loop so I can walk around and do the uncoupling and some work in the yard.

IMG_1191.thumb.JPG.d75b13d78dd746b3c48a0171889ac1c6.JPG

From the previous photo you can see the yard also has a track for steam engine service. This is just kind of fanciful on my part, I imagine the actual facilities for servicing the surviving steam locomotives in Japan are decidedly more modern. Nice action shot though.

IMG_1192.thumb.JPG.9a34145f7e44ca10513c5bddd08163f8.JPG

Mitakihara town proper with the temple in the center and the up and over to the refnery and town.

IMG_1193.thumb.JPG.02e2cc3ec3373fce3e703b856312f5c2.JPG

Mitakihara Station with tunnel in the background. Painting the inside black made a HUGE difference on how good the tunnels looked.

Edited by nah00
  • Like 9

nah00

...cont'd

IMG_1194.thumb.JPG.e315021a9bce8104f567093d264db812.JPG'

Another view of Mitakihara town. Honestly I thought I was going to use the bus system a lot more than I did. For whatever reason mine seems to go through batteries like crazy. Also the track needs a thorough cleaning before you use it, any dust is essentially ice to it. I know if I had an RX7 I wouldn't park it that close to a high voltage line...

IMG_1195.thumb.JPG.e1125830def151302f97e5710637161c.JPG

Yes the elevated line is REALLY close to the edge here. I do want to put a backdrop on this side of the layout at some point but also don't want to cut off easy access to the container yard so I may some kind of tongue and groove system so I can take it off or keep it reasonably short.

IMG_1196.thumb.JPG.d2542d2ab635739a570cbbcedddc86ba.JPG

Mikasa Airbase with it's siding. Inspired by Yokota this is obviously a bit different. I do want to make a garage for the fire engines and the empty spot is for the Tomytec control tower (when I get around to building it...).

IMG_1197.thumb.JPG.33d0cb5a7ebfa9285a80205fe1575882.JPG

Mitakihara Station from the tunnel side. Being able to fit 8 cars would be nice but even 'only' 6 makes it look busy, particularly here with an ET127 passing on the left and the 201 series Shikisai, 583 series and 485 series Irodori all stopped at the platforms.

IMG_1198.thumb.JPG.ff2b9fbf6ef602ef510dd81997163b54.JPG

Now for a part I'm kind of ambivalent about. This freight depot and LPG dealer served by rail. Definitely a carryover from modelling North American prototypes and I doubt that many (if any) such small industries are served like this today. One thing I plan to do is to take out the black fuel-oil tanks and silver refueling stand to give this scene a bit more room to breathe. I've also thought of replacing the freight house with a sawmill (there's an old Pola kit that is about the same size) as before I had the Diorama Collection woodshop/lumberyard here.

That's it for now, doing this helped work through some of the negativity I've felt lately. Look forward to updates both from the past in building where it is now to things I do going forward.

Edited by nah00
  • Like 14

Grant_T

This looks like a lot of fun. I would love a space like this.

Keith

Thank you for sharing your layout, there is a lot of inspiration in it.

keith

JR 500系

Wow this looks amazing! Thank you for sharing this!

I quite liked how the surrounding hills around the air base looked, and the view of that station before the tunnel is pretty interesting too! 

nah00

Thank you guys! The hills around the air base help serve as a scene divider and the station did turn out better than I thought. At first I was worried about clearance with the turnouts (they start in the tunnel) but the portals I used have enough space on both sides the let anything through. 

Technically it's a very simple layout, it's the two loops around Mitakihara and then a longer loop around the perimeter of the layout. Total size is approximately 10 foot by 8 foot.

marknewton
On 1/28/2020 at 1:40 PM, nah00 said:

IMG_1187.thumb.JPG.4b04ed0f3775ae7645818f28575c7c61.JPG

A better view of the unnamed town. I used to have a grain elevator here for some reason and it saw very little use (turns out industrial switching isn't as fun as I thought). About the same time I was wondering what to do with these tracks I realized I had a bunch of DMUs and EMUs that didn't have a smallish station to go to and that adding one would give the up-and-over track more use (visible in the background). Overall I'm very happy with the change but need to add a bridge since currently the residents are stranded.

Nah, your whole layout is impressive, but I particularly like this view of the unnamed town. I'll be interested in seeing how you develop it.

All the best,

Mark.

cteno4

Nah,

donut is great fun! Being in the center with the trains running around you! It’s nice, it’s got personality, it’s looks like you are enjoying yourself with it! Love the high tension towers, they really are nice vertical visual pieces. We have 3 on JRM 3.0, but your red and white are much nicer than the Tomytec silver so I’m going to paint ours when we start to get 3.0 going again.

You got a great playground to play on! Kudos!

cheers

jeff

• Like 1