Oil Terminal for Takis?

Starting to sketch out plans for a T-Trak/B-Train Shorty layout and would like to include a small switching destination for petroleum takis.  My google-fu has failed to turn up prototype examples to work from to make a very scaled-down representation.

The layout concept is 'Ibaraki Shorty', with notional representation of Mito and Oarai.  Following the tracks on google maps satellite view, I've found container yards for kokis right outside Mito station on the Joban Line, and a couple on very long spurs coming off the Kashimo Rinke Line.  Watching cab-view videos of the Kashima Rinke entering Mito, there are some glimpses of strings of takis on an adjacent track.  But I have yet to find a destination for them anywhere around Ibaraki.

Does anyone have any locations or clues to look at?

If there aren't any in Ibaraki, I'm willing to make up a fictitious one, but would still like to take a look at likely prototypes where ever they might be.

Edited by Cat
  • Thanks 1

Poking about that "日本オイルターミナル 八王子" search, this is the clearest view of an unloading platform I found.  Looks like the Tomytec Complex D2 parts would do for that, plus working in the pipes section from Complex F2 to connect to an oil storage tank and a truck loading area.

TakiDepot.jpg

TomytecComplexD2Transfer.jpg

TomyTecComplexF2Pipes.jpg

• Like 2

Looks nice!  I may have to make one of these terminals myself.  I'm guilty of owning far too many takis without a destination for them.

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 1
46 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

I'm guilty of owning far too many takis without a destination for them.

We're currently on track for acquiring just enough takis for a small layout.  8 shorties for two strings of 4, one inbound and one outbound.

Kokis on the other hand, we might be in imminent danger of acquiring in great excess...

• Haha 1

The truck filling portion of the terminal looks to be the more complicated bit for modelling.  Has anyone seen any N scale kits of this sort, or other sort that might work?

TruckFueling.jpg

• Like 1

Here is one of the locations I used for various inspirational units for my industrial layout: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Yokkaichi,+Prefectura+de+Mie,+Japón/@34.929721,136.6296978,94a,35y,39.56t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m9!1m3!11m2!2s7Unrh1lY-SCjNDHF7bcDKaHZlznjdA!3e3!3m4!1s0x600392853152b2a5:0xdeff06ba7db83931!8m2!3d34.9651064!4d136.6244121

As for the truck loading racks, I would go with the scratch also. The Tomytec loading platform will go OK, but you'll need many of them. If you  are crafty, you can make your own in a single row. I do bought in my time many pipes both from Tomytec and Greenmax. Also P.M.Office (Plum on Hobby Search) will be releasing some indutrial facilities along the year: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=101&cat=&state=&sold=0&sortid=0&searchkey=plum+industrial

Let us take a look on your plans!

Martin

Edited by valkyriepm
typo

Wow, that Yokkaichi refinery is quite the large operation!  Our modelling needs are much smaller than that, just a shorty storage and transfer facility for a few Shorty takis.  The spur will only hold 4 takis, so just 4 of the Tomytec pumps will do the trick, plus one storage tank, and a truck filling station if I find good kitbashing fodder.

Currently the plans are just rough pencil sketches on paper.  My modelling and crafting skills are purely analog!  The general concept is (6) 3' wide 17" deep modules to make to make a 6' x 4'3" layout.  A regular T-Trak mainline will run along one 6' side as the Joban main line, and we can add a 7th module extending the Joban Line and providing the Mito yards (cheating by using a transfer table instead of needing all the length to operate it with a ladder of turnouts).  Half the layout is notionally Mito, the other half Oarai. 

The sketches are still in a work in progress.  The first draft was done with Kato track in mind.  Next step will be keeping Kato for the mainline, but switching to Tomix for the rest to utilise the tighter curves for running Shorties.

Cat

Edited by Cat

There is a very similar n scale terminal set like that out of etched brass, but it may be oop now as I think the owner’s wife passed and he closed the biz for a while. He did very detailed etching, not cheap but very nice.

jeff

• Like 1

Ooh, etched brass would be lovely; but this will get pricey enough with a couple of Tomytec kits and the Walthers truck rack if that turns out to be suitable kitbashing fodder.

Great! I saw the walthers rack but didn't think on escalating it. Wonderful plans you got there, will be very interesting to see!

10 hours ago, cteno4 said:

There is a very similar n scale terminal set like that out of etched brass, but it may be oop now as I think the owner’s wife passed and he closed the biz for a while. He did very detailed etching, not cheap but very nice.

Any link or picture of it? Interested in looking for options to scratch.

Martin

Sorry I forgot to post last night, I spent some time trying to find the biz, but no luck bit when I read your post the name just popped into my head! It’s traincat! Good news is the site is still up. The bad/sad news is the chap is still not back to the business after his wife passing. I met him several times at train shows and have a couple of nice long girder units I just got as I thought I could eventually find a use for somewhere as everyone makes little bits of girders, not big, long ones. He is good egg, always sharing how he does his design and etching process if you were curious and how it evolved for him and usually putting together one of the more complicated kits at the show so you could see how it went together. Hope he comes back to the business eventually.

http://traincat2.com

Jeff

• Like 2

Whoa Jeff, thanx for that link! Very interesting material there! Hope he get back to business evetually. Sure to look all that structures give's you some ideas and inspirations for the layout.

Martin

Another one that is sadly oop was the old con-cor cambria city fuel rack. Nice detail bits with it. I thought I had a number of these when a lot of con-cor n scale was phased out like a decade ago, but only two I could find. They probably pop up on ebay and prowl the show as old kits usually pop up at them, sometimes for a bargain (sometime not...)

cheers,

jeff

FC9C9E87-4A24-44B1-ACD7-CA9905B57EB9.jpeg

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Just curious. How would you do that?

A lot of dicing and splicing.  Lower the height of the platform, shortening the pipes underneath to make way for dropping it down.  Likewise, lower the roof and the height of pump hoses.  Replace the ladder and stairway with N scale ones.  The safety railings may be OK as is.

I've been kitbashing since I started modelling at age 8.  My older brothers built plastic model car kits, and I would take all the left over pieces and build my own creations out of them.
: 3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1