Mr Primer Surfacer and Gundam markers

marknewton

I bought a spray can of Mr Primer Surfacer the other day, more or less on a whim. I gather it's a filler as well as a primer. Does anyone have any experience of using this, or any tips?

I also bought a couple of Gundam paint marker pens out of curiosity. I thought they might be good for painting window frames on some carriage kits I'm building. Again, any thoughts, hints or tips?

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
Martijn Meerts

The primer surfacer is indeed primer and filler in 1, it's often used on model kits to fill minor seam lines, easier than messing about with putty. There's various kinds from hardly any filling properties at all, to being able to fill pretty decent seam lines.

As for the markers, they're good, as long as you have a good surface to 'write' on. They are really just pens filled with paint instead of ink. The tips on them are pretty brittle, so you usually end up destroying the tips long before they run out of paint. That especially the case with the ones with the bigger tips. Also, don't write on rough surfaces, or even on paper, as that ruins the tip even faster.

They work reasonably well on non-cleaned / non-painted Gundam kits as long as you're just doing simple panel lines. Any bigger surfaces and you get stripes and such. It does also clean up easily with a little alcohol and cotton bud, so work well to experiment with, and if you don't like it, clean up again (as long as you don't let it sit too long)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mark,

in think the Mr Primer was mentioned somewhere as a good primer for 3D printed pieces to help fill in print lines and dots.

jeff

• Thanks 2

Martijn and Jeff, thanks for your replies. I'm going to try the markers out this afternoon on the window mouldings, I'll report back.

All the best,

Mark.