DCC for my EF200-50

Arlo

Hi everyone. new to the site here and I am just getting back into the hobby. Trying to get up to speed on the DCC stuff and have a question. I have a Kato DF200-50 engine and will be running Digitrax DCC, my question is what decoder to put in this engine? I seem to be having a hard time finding sizing for the Japanese engines, plenty of stuff for the standard stuff to be sure but I want to make sure I get the right size decoder. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi.  Digitrax and TCS both make decoders that will fit the KATO DF200 (per your body text -- your title says EF200 though there are Digitrax and TCS decoders that will fit the EF200 as well -- I've done both but forget if they are the same.)

Here is a topic that discusses it and shows both being put in:

Also, remember, that just because your command center is Digitrax, you don't need to only use Digitrax decoders.  You should be able to use most any decoder brand.  My command stations are a Digikeijs DR5000, and an NCE of some sort and all my decoders work with both, including Digitrax, TCS, D&H, NGDCC, etc.

I have not used the Digitrax but did inspect one and the contacts on the bottom looked to be correct.

Since I want future Railcom compatibility I use TCS, which unfortunately don't have the contacts on the bottom.

I don't remember on the DF200 but sometimes you need to change the LED lead lengths (on some locs for which otherwise the Digitrax or TCS decoder is "drop in" or almost "drop in")