Hello from the UK!

Mutley

I'm based in Somerset in the UK and have been lurking around here for a while now whilst getting to grips with the Japanese rail scene and thought it was time to say hello!

I've been modelling British OO Gauge for the last 30 years and really needed a change of scene and when I came across this nice urban Unitrack / N Gauge layout on Youtube, it really sparked my interest.

In the early 2000's I did have some Japanese stock for a while (100 Series / E2 Shinkansen and a 651 Super Hitachi) but this got put away when I moved house and was subsequently sold off.

I thought to begin with it was going to be Shinkansen all the way for me, but I find the 'narrow gauge' setup fascinating and after years of regimentally buying locos and stock because they fit my regional / era scenario, I'm really enjoying the freedom of just getting something because I like the look of it.

I'll start a thread in the projects area to show progress on my layout but suffice to say for now, I've got a decent sized garage available to me and 'phase one' is currently using a space of about 14ft x 3ft 9ins.

Stock-wise, this is what I've assembled so far, plus a couple of pieces I have on order:

Shinkansen:

500 Series (8 Car)

N700A (8 Car)

E7 (6 Cars, but will want to add to this I'm sure)

Limited Express:

E259 Narita Express (6 Car)

E353 Azusa / Kaiji (9 Car)

E657 Hitachi / Tokiwa (6 Car with the additional 4 Car set on order)

E651 Super Hitachi (7 Car set on order … just have to have it for old time's sake if nothing else and the collector in me might need to get the 4-car add on as well at some point!)

Cassiopeia Cruise / Sleeper (12 Car pulled by an EF81 in Rainbow livery, or EF81 in original Cassiopeia livery)

Commuter Trains (both on order):

E231 Tokaido Line / Shonan Shinjuku (10 Car)

E233 Keihin-Tohoku (10 Car)

~

I'm finding the whole thing completely addictive and from thinking I would hang onto some of the OO Gauge stuff, that's all been sold off and I'm now truly an 'N Scaler' for the first time in my life!

Whilst I'm about it, a belated thanks to the Forum owners for providing this facility and to all of those posters from whom I have silently taken advice during the journey so far, through the amassed expertise and comment to be found here.

That's it for now save for a word for TrainTrax here in the UK, where I've bought most of my stock / Unitrack to-date and who provide a first-class service.

All the best

Mike West

• Like 3

Mike,

welcome, glad you found the mad house here! Ugh oh, you have the bug and there is no cure, Ross the credit card while you can! It is very addictive and huge variety of stuff to choose from, I end up doing the same, so many fun trains and just get many because I like them! Scenes also can have just about anything in them in japan with trains everywhere.

glad the forum helped get you going, that’s what it’s here for and useful to just find the answer to a question from what here or to get involved, we welcome both (lurker is not a dirty word here!).

Looking forward to what you come up with!

cheers

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Not sure you should thanks us for all the upcoming expenses and ever-growing collection really 😉

As for owners, there aren't really any. We have a few admins and mods, but in reality, much of the running costs are paid for with donations, and of course, the most important part of the forum, the content itself, is also provided by everyone here.

• Haha 1

Thanks all.

The cash reserves certainly are diminishing rapidly at the moment but you only live once 😊

Here are a couple of photos to be going on with and I'll start a more in-depth thread at the weekend complete with plans etc.

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

• Like 6

... and one more to show how the track at the left hand end joins together.

I need to stop buying trains and get some platforms - this photo shows where there'll be a terminus with a single island platform ... although it does lead to an area on the opposite wall that's 18ft long, so may not stay that way for long.  At around half speed, the E353 takes 1 minute 40 seconds to get back to its starting point, so a nice long run.

I'll also have a through station with two island platforms at the front of the layout and a third up over the back.

IMG_0519.jpg

Edited by Mutley
typo!
  • Like 5

Awesome layout!  You may be just starting but you already have more built than me, I need to stop buying trains get working on mine.  😁

• Like 1

Oh wow that is great! I love the line diagram at the controllers, it looks very much like a real train control centre! Great job!

Would be even better to have a video of your trains running! Thanks for sharing! 

Mike,

Nice layout! My only concern is the depth of the layout up against the back wall. Looks like a long reach ( 4 ft? ) for both modeling and dealing with any problems. If practical, you might consider moving it forward to provide some access to the back with a removable backboard.

Also, you might lengthen the inclines as much as possible to reduce the grades.

Roger

1 hour ago, RogerK said:

Mike,

Nice layout! My only concern is the depth of the layout up against the back wall. Looks like a long reach ( 4 ft? ) for both modeling and dealing with any problems. If practical, you might consider moving it forward to provide some access to the back with a removable backboard.

Also, you might lengthen the inclines as much as possible to reduce the grades.

Roger

Thanks Roger, good point on access!  The depth at the right-hand in the photos is around 42", somewhat less in the middle and left-hand ends.

I'll explain in more detail when I start my layout thread but I have a plan ... I'm going to cut out some 'lift out' sections in the centre at each end of the layout and I've got just enough room that they'll be big enough to get my shoulders through.  It's mainly a problem at each end, into the back corners and I'm coping at the moment by standing on a chair, which really is not ideal!  As the layout is going to be urban in nature, I'm going to sketch out where roads and buildings are going to go and I can make this fit in with the edges of the cutouts in such a way that hopefully I can disguise the joints.

I really wanted to hone the trackplan before getting out the Jigsaw and I'm pretty much there now.

On the grades, I do have a bit of scope to start the incline sooner and the current positioning is a throw back to an earlier version of the plan that involved more pointwork, which anchored the starts of the inclines in place.  I'll certainly be taking a look at that at some point but for now, everything's coping quite well but conscious that longer term, a gentler climb may be better for the motors in the locos / units.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Oh wow that is great! I love the line diagram at the controllers, it looks very much like a real train control centre! Great job!

Would be even better to have a video of your trains running! Thanks for sharing! 

Thanks!  I've been running DCC on my British layouts since 2001 and it's been a bit of an eye-opener (but enjoyable) wiring an analogue control panel again after all this time. 

I've taken some videos, so I'll put something up over the next few days. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Well that was easier to do than I expected ... no sooner said than done!

• Like 7